UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UMBC @ UA

I agree with Bosiydid 100%.

As for the fair weather fan thing, he was referring to me (in the other thread). I'm one of the biggest fans at these games...hence me starting a LOT of the Defense chants and being vocal in our season ticket holder section. I have the right to be down about this team, and although we won today, we have a long way to go. Play the young kids, we're probably going to have a .500 or slightly below season anyway (at best).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Dane Pound' date='16 January 2010 - 11:12 Not a very good UMBC team but better than I expected. I'm not sure how they lost to Penn earlier this year.

One of their fans posted on AE that they'd be a .500 club if the game were only 35 minutes long. They lost to LoyolaMD by 3, to James Madison by 2, to CCSU in double OT, and to Towson by 5. Why I wasn't worried in the first half.

Nice all around performance. Loved the board work. Metcalf continues to impress. 11 boards.

And I hate to complain after any win, but how does he go from the doghouse to the penthouse so fast w/ Coach?

Tim with the kind of performance you expect. Scores, rebounds, assists, blocks, and TO's.

Nice win, they can breath a little easier now.

So Brown says it's not who starts it's who finishes...so why was Johnson in the game at the end over Black?

Johnson did nothing during the game to earn that spot and Black did nothing to lose it...and don't tell me D.

Black worked his but off on D and did everything else to earned that spot.

other than that I was impressed with intensity...not just on the court but on the bench and with the coaching staff.

So Brown says it's not who starts it's who finishes...so why was Johnson in the game at the end over Black?

Johnson did nothing during the game to earn that spot and Black did nothing to lose it...and don't tell me D.

Black worked his but off on D and did everything else to earned that spot.

other than that I was impressed with intensity...not just on the court but on the bench and with the coaching staff.

Black's been "under the weather". Per TU....

Meanwhile, freshman guard Mike Black had 12 points on 5-of-9 shooting after being under the weather recently.

“Mike Black, with about four minutes to go, said, ‘Coach, I’ve got nothing left,’ ” Brown said. “He was exhausted. He was sick in the last game. That’s why he only played 18 minutes. I hope he’s not wearing down. He played really well tonight. He’s just tired.”

I was just getting around to sharing my thoughts after the game. Guess I should have read the blogs first.

A few other thoughts

Metcalf's boards were key. We should be searching for another 4 or 5 to start hitting the boards

I'm going to start getting selfish with Allen...anything the team needs... This team needs you to get to the line more.

The Black & Johnson situation at the end of the game is exactly why I will give Coach Brown..and coaching staffs in general..the benefit of the doubt when it comes to decisions that don't seem to make sense at face value..we're not sitting in on practices each day..we're not in the locker room before each half..we're not in the huddle during timeouts..it's near impossible to guess exactly what's happening and for what reasons.

Like most I was surprised to see Johnson come in for Black for the last few minutes..but also saw Black bent over with his hands on his knees quite a bit later in the second half..which makes sense considering he was HOUNDING de la Rosa the entire game..so I gave Coach Brown the benefit of the doubt and figured Black was gassed/injured..I'm not going to critique someone's decision making when I don't have the information they do.

Happy we got the win yesterday..hopefully we can keep it going.

• 4 weeks later...

Just checked the score on my phone. The team will hit rock bottom tonite if they don't find a way to come back. I honestly think they can lose out the rest of the season. This year will put Albany back in the pits of the America East. Attendance will fall greatly and I'm sure the players will like playing in an empty gym again.

"I just checked the score...and I will comment on something that I havent watched, so I dont know what is going on...but yeah, this team will tank and the fans wont ever come back...but simply, I only just checked the score."

I think MsGDG put it ever so eloquently to someone the other day and I will apply it here: sounds like a fair weather fan.

You get on the horn and talk to the Mets brass about Beltran yet?!?!

I've been watching the board for the past month. After being called a fair weather fan I was going to keep away from the board, but I just couldn't seem to keep myself from posting. I take you back to the UMBC game last month when I said the above. Exactly what I thought would happen has happened. This team can and most likely will lose out the rest of the season going 1-15 in conference and back to the pits of the America East. From the sounds of it, there wasn't even a thousand people in the stands last night so yes the players are starting to play in an empty gym. Changes need to be made and I'm sure they will come. I read that the AD was at the game last night and if I were him I would need to do a reavaluation of the coaching staff and basketball program. A shake up is needed and if it's not Brown then it should be his coaching staff to send a message. Maybe he can even look to see what recipe the neighboring D1 program has used the past 4 seasons and try to do what they have done. I don't want to here everyone say they have had plenty of losing seasons in their history, because the past is the past and we should be talking about now. And what we are now is a losing program. Will Brown focuses so much on defense and doesn't realize it's his offense that's the problem. We are not going to win games scoring in the 50's everynight. I know just letting them play did not work out, but I think that's when we have looked our best and had our biggest win margin all season. That was the Yale game when we scored almost 90. I mean could it have actually gotten any worse than it has if he just let them play?

My ultimate question is what will be the difference between this year and next year. Tell me why we won't lose 20+ games again next year. Unless they can ues Glanton's scholarship to some how bring in a stud of a recruit we will be in trouble again next year. But when you think about it, what recruit would want to come here now???? They can just look at the number of transfers over he past 3 seasons. We are in a lot deeper trouble than some may actually think.

And for Gifford...WOW I can't believe he has seen basically no playing time the past couple of weeks. I admit I wanted him out of the starting lineup, but I didn't think he would see no playing time. I give him a lot of respect for keeping his cool on the bench. He was the only one not to play last night that was dressed. What did he do to get that. I mean his defense was always good it was his offense that was the problem.

As far as what recruit would want to come here......there will be CRAZY minutes available....if you can shoot above 35% from the field you are a virtual lock for the starting lineup!

That's a good "glass half full" approach and I hope somebody takes that view. The flip side: This coach can't coach offense and I'll be surrounded by guys that can't score. Defense will focus on me. I will have pressure to do more than capable and fail along w/ the team.

From the sounds of it, there wasn't even a thousand people in the stands last night so yes the players are starting to play in an empty gym.

Just to address this one point..

How many times have you been to games at our conference opponents' home courts?..have you looked at their attendance figures?

Including last night's game..we're averaging 2625 per game..that's third in the conference behind Binghamton and UVM..same as it usually is..the next closest team is UMBC with 1655..Boston is one of the better teams in the conference and they don't even average 1000 fans a game.

I'm not disagreeing that a poor record has..and will..hurt attendance..but to say we're playing in an empty arena without actually looking at figures from other schools is a bit irresponsible..we're more likely to be playing in an 'empty gym' on the road than at home..even with a 6-21 record.

From the sounds of it, there wasn't even a thousand people in the stands last night so yes the players are starting to play in an empty gym.

How many times have you been to games at our conference opponents' home courts?..have you looked at their attendance figures?

Including last night's game..we're averaging 2625 per game..that's third in the conference behind Binghamton and UVM..same as it usually is..the next closest team is UMBC with 1655..Boston is one of the better teams in the conference and they don't even average 1000 fans a game.

I'm not disagreeing that a poor record has..and will..hurt attendance..but to say we're playing in an empty arena without actually looking at figures from other schools is a bit irresponsible..we're more likely to be playing in an 'empty gym' on the road than at home..even with a 6-21 record.

Phoenix,

If you want to call me a bit irresponsible for not looking at attendance numbers that's fine, but personally I can care less what other teams draw at home. The only thing I care about is what we are drawing at home. The fact is attendance has steadily declined over the past few years. I want the UAlbany Basketball program to be successful and well known. The more fans in the stands means more people are coming out to support the team and more $$$$ to be made for the school. After hearing how the attendance was last night I am not feeling to good in the way things are going.

Phoenix,

If you want to call me a bit irresponsible for not looking at attendance numbers that's fine, but personally I can care less what other teams draw at home. The only thing I care about is what we are drawing at home. The fact is attendance has steadily declined over the past few years. I want the UAlbany Basketball program to be successful and well known. The more fans in the stands means more people are coming out to support the team and more $$$$ to be made for the school. After hearing how the attendance was last night I am not feeling to good in the way things are going.

I have to agree w/ 08 on this. 1st I'm not that concerned with what other teams in this conference are drawing. We should be at the top. Not #3. Also the trend is the problem. 1400+ last night according to the TU. If you believe there was over 1000 in the building, I've got a bridge to sell you. Season ticket holders/ and students have abandoned this team and the style of play, along with the losing. No excitement. Our one dunk, waived off. One meaningless three pointer. More foul shots than shots from the floor. Consistently fighting against the shot clock.

I'm a perfect example. In 10 years as a ticket holder I've missed maybe 7-8 games total. Well I missed the Big Purple Growl and almost forgot about yesterdays game. Again losing is one thing, but this style of play is painful to watch. My loyalty and hopefulness keep me coming back, but ....

Archived