UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

America East Tournament

UA'08

I Was at the game and it was a good one for the first 30 min. I saw some things that surprised me. During the end of the game when sbu was up by 14 I saw someone screaming put in giff. I do not know who it was but I am assuming they are his parents. I over heard them say that they couldn't even give him garbage time on the floor. I understand where they are coming from. Gifford should have absolutely been on the floor at the end of the game with albany taking him out before it was over so he can get the respect he deserves. Later on when the game was over and all the players for both teams went into the locker room the person related to giff went up to will brown and pointed his finger at him and said something. He was eventually held back and moved away from him. The other person related to giff was screaming at him from the bleachers. I do not know if this was the right place to say this in but if it is feel free to remove the post.

After this all happened their was another parent I think that went to say hello to the giffs. Overheard them discussing the issues with the team and the lack of development of players. They also said that because there is no consistent lineup the team can't gel and play like a team.

Wonder if these are the same people that thought Giff could "take Cole Aldrich".

Please...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand both sides of this. I do think Brown should've given the Seniors a chance to come off the court and get their ovation. I guess he still thought we had a chance to win but Harris, McRae and most of all Giff should've been brought out before the end of the game so the UA crowd and most likely other school's fan could give them an ovation. If my son played his heart out for a team for four years I would at least want him to be given a proper send off. I understand though if Brown thought we still had a chance and didn't want to seem like he was giving up.

I understand both sides of this. I do think Brown should've given the Seniors a chance to come off the court and get their ovation. I guess he still thought we had a chance to win but Harris, McRae and most of all Giff should've been brought out before the end of the game so the UA crowd and most likely other school's fan could give them an ovation. If my son played his heart out for a team for four years I would at least want him to be given a proper send off. I understand though if Brown thought we still had a chance and didn't want to seem like he was giving up.

I see no problem with what you are saying DRG...no problem at all. I don't think CB not inserting them to close the game out was intended as a slight to them.

I hate to hear stuff like this...I'm sorry to hear that the Giffords were apparently that upset. Truth be told tho, Brown was more then patient with Giff. Giff had many opportunities to stand out and never really did. Maybe you pin it on Brown system, I don't know but I never really saw any significant talent.

Great kid from what I hear and I wish him the best of luck but he wasn't a very good D1 player.

Brown may be a nice individual, I wouldn't know. BUT, he isn't an offensive guru. AE coaches are getting better. Our program has hit a bottom.

I still can't comprehend how Brown couldn't utilize an 'almost' 7footer in his system down low.

The only chores given to Giff were picks and passes at the top of the key. I can't believe we couldn't

set him up under the basketball, get him the ball, and for him to go up strong. He had enough talent to draw fouls under the basket.

Does this coaching staff have ANY skill on developing BIGS for inside the paint?

Curious if they'll do anything over the 4 years to develop Lindfors and Puk for low post games.

I still believe we could've beaten UConn in the tournament, and believe it was the coach's change in approach and mindset halfway through the 2nd half that did it. We went into a preventative state, and it went down the drain.

That's my perspective, right or wrong, like it or not. :blink:

Danefan....you hit the nail on the head.

Giff is a GREAT KID...really truly great kid. But, in a close game (by all accounts Will Harris had a shot to bring us close with his three with 30 or so seconds left), you needed athleticsm under center...and as winded as Metcalf was...he is an offensive rebound machine.

Giff's parents, like all, want the best for their son. However, over the years they have had a warped view of what their son can actually do on the court...and to Giff's credit...I think he understood what his own limitations were compared to his parents views. And that self-realization and acceptance of such...is one of the many things that make him a great kid, one who is beloved by the coaches, teammates, fans, and his classmates. If it were so awful, in Giff's mind, do you think he would take a position on the staff?!?!

As for the last question, Pat Filien is KNOWN AS A BIGS GURU- Taylor Coppenrath was a nobody until Pat got his hands on him. Kirsten Z. was a complete stiff...but frankly, his game was turned around by Pat to the point that no one can argue Z's contributions were not a key to our Championship run. Heck, he even got Brent to work some post moves in (though we all know how much Brent loved nothing more than to be 15 feet out). Giff simply wasnt the offensive player that could be molded. It happens.

That has nothing to do with offensive strategy.

And please explain how the Coaching strategy lost us the UCONN game. The only major mistake Coach made in that game was something a lot of Coach's do-- went with a player who was way past his legs; that would be Brian Lillis. Brian was absolutely spent...but was having a hell of a game defensively. He got lost on the nail in the coffin bucket against us...and it was straight up because he was spent. It was clear to everyone...and Coach owned up to it.

You are grasping for straws that dont exist-- Gifford is not an offensive guy...period. His big move is that face up jumper. IN our league, just about every 4 or 5 who would be on Giff is athletic enough to put pressure on Giff more often than not.

I see no problem with what you are saying DRG...no problem at all. I don't think CB not inserting them to close the game out was intended as a slight to them.

Agree. I don't think it was done on purpose.

Isn't that why we have a designated Senior Night? To give the proper send off? The SBU wasn't a blowout. There was a chance to win the game in the last minute.

Agree, Senior Night is great but we were down 9 with 30 seconds left on Saturday and it was obvious this was the last game of their careers so I think something should've been done. I don't blame Brown for not wanting to give up. I was sitting in the stands still cheering and didn't want to give up either. I didn't even really think about this until after the game was over but as a coach, your seniors should be on your mind when you see this will be their last game.

I dont know DRG...the last part I dont agree with you on because frankly, that would show inconsistancy of our fan base. Coach got skewered for putting in Mike J (or asking) in a game because it was "over" and he was a Senior. He got the same for Giff and MJ...and Will for another game.

The reasoning for both-- it was an insult to these guys to be put in when the game is out of hand.

Now we are saying...last game...put them with no time left. Yes, as a Senior I would want to be on the court to end the game...but that flies in the face of what everyone bitched about earlier.

With three scholarships available for next year I am just interested in what Will Brown is going to do. Everyone said that this team was young this year, but as of right now they will be even younger next year.

All his recruiting advantages he had from having albany in the tournament back to back years is in the distant past. How is he going to convince players to come to a team that went 7-25?

Stupid young next year-- but I see it very similar to that of Jamar's RS Soph year. I really think there is a good core there with Black, Aronholt and Metcalf. Now they need the others to step up...and one thing we WONT LACK is leadership-- ALLEN MOST DEFINITELY FILLS THAT VOID.

I would really like to see him go after an impact frosh and a role frosh...and a 2 year eligible JUCO. That would bring the balance we need.

As for convincing players...that's easy-- he has done it once before. There is PT up for grabs and three solid kids to build around. Come play for us...we have been there before and with your help...we will get there again. I got a PG who can shoot, distribute and run...and hasnt even scratched his ability level yet. I got a powerful kid who can play 3 positions and wasnt 100% healthy. And I got an active rebound machine who will be able to kick the ball to you and clear space.

From my standpoint, I never saw enough of Giff on the offensive side to determine if he actually had the ability. I saw some glimpses of hope and some 'ugly' moments with Giff. It's remarkable that the program gained nothing down low on offense with this recruiting effort.

I saw the team collapse into a preventative defense against UCONN. For 3 quarters we were aggressive and assertive. I wasn't in the huddle, but it appeared that we began protecting the lead, rather than smashing them in the teeth with pressure and aggression like we had been doing. The team might have been dead tired, but from my experience, any games of any significance, adrenaline easily brings you through.

We went from a 10 point lead, to a what, a 15 point loss. It wasn't just one play that determined the game, it was the last 10 minutes. Whether the play of the last 10 minutes was a result of everyone being exhausted, playing a team like UConn, I don't know.

As for Saturday, it's the coaching staff's job to try and win the AE tournament game.

A player's minutes isn't the focus. Of course, Giff started the last few years, and this year must have been difficult for the parents to accept.

What's this about Giff continuing with program next year?

Adrenaline...can only get you so far- that team had 3 NBA'ers in the starting lineup...we had some guys who could play in mid leagues in Europe.

There is a reason no No. 1 has lost to a 16.

Giff is staying on as a grad assistant...and getting his MBA (I believe it is an MBA).

As to the 3 scholarships available...I would expect at LEAST two JUCO kids. A POST, a WING and best available with the last ship. The third might go to an impact freshmen that they have very high on the board.

In listening the interview this morning with Rog on 980...it's clear that an emphasis will be place on two things...offensive production/someone who can score the freaking rock (FINALLYYYYYYYYY!) and kids that are tough. They might not be the high-risers that McRae was but from the sound of it we'll be going to UA type kids. The type of kids that made up the championship teams.

Selling potential recruits on a 7-25 might not be to hard...plenty of minutes to go around if you come and play at a high level. Truth be told, no one's minutes will/should be guaranteed when a team goes out and wins 7 games. I'd like to see Black and Logan at the 1 and 2 starting next year. If anyone's minutes will be guaranteed it's Blacks. Everyone else (including Mike) have a ton of work to do.

We will be even younger next season. Two seniors and one junior who IMHO will not even be starters...perhaps one or two of the JUCO kids can come in and start but I don't like to rely on players that haven't even committed let alone play for this program.

One thing for sure...this team will look VERY DIFFERENT from this yeas team and that's a good thing.

Minus - Harris, McRae, Giff, MJ, Barraza

Plus - Puk, Watts, Iati and three more kids...

Big changes, let's hope the change is for the better.

The young core is excellent...Logan and Black combined for 33 of our 59 points yesterday...Logan and Metcalf combined for 15 boards...nine of them by Metcalf.

Archived