UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Chancellor Zimpher on the Offensive

danefan

Looks like a de facto declaration of the flagship status to me.

The senate budget proposal does not make it a done deal, but it may put the Chancellor into an ambiguous negotiating position:

does she say "all or none" or take it as the starting point for an incremental approach?

blink.gif

The governor does not seem to be negotiating from a position of strength so who knows where this will go.

I'm sort of torn on that myself. UA would get some really important benefits under the Senate's proposal, including getting out from the beurocratic nightmare that is the bidding process. It would also restore a number of funding cuts and would get rid of the tuition split that occured last year whereby the government is taking tuition dollars and closing budget gaps outside the SUNY scope. These things are very beneficial to UA and if getting them means we'll have to live with SBU and UB being de facto flagships in the short term, maybe it could be worth it. I don't know though.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well they didn't waste any time....the Senate resolution was passed

http://blog.timesuni...get-resolution/

It was a straight party-line vote, 32-29, that demonstrated Democratic Conference Leader John Sampson's ability to hold his members together at least this far. (Republican Tom Morahan is excused due to illness.)

Hopefully the Assembly resolution has all 4 SUNY ceners in with UB and SBU, but I'm not holding my breath.

Can someone explain to me why the senate would alter the governor's

proposal from all 4 university centers to just the two?

Seriously, what sense does it make to exclude two equally important pillars

of SUNY?

Anyone know which assembly members could be contacted to express our views?

I don't have much time to look them up.

Can someone explain to me why the senate would alter the governor's

proposal from all 4 university centers to just the two?

Seriously, what sense does it make to exclude two equally important pillars

of SUNY?

One way to read this is that the general sentiment was against the proposal but WNY and LI delegates made the case

that their institutions should be granted flexibility on a trial basis. Binghamton seems to be in hot water over the whole baskteball situation so they're going to be kept on tight leash.

Here's what Zimpher said (from the ASP interview) about the proposal in general terms

Question: You spend the day at the State Capitol today. What kind of support does the Act have from members of the Legislature?

Zimpher: I think it’s mixed, in all honesty. We’re working on is that people not reach conclusions prematurely. Have you ever heard the phrase, “If you need an answer today, it’s no”?

Here's another very subtle nuance

I (Zimpher) said to her (Stavisky), “‘And you’ll certainly favor removing the pre-audit in our purchase of goods and services?’” And she just simply said, “‘Yes.’” It was the shortest answer of the day. “‘Yes.’”

When the resolution came out it endorsed the concept for goods, but apparently not services.

That's my $.02 worth of analysis. YMMV

Bob Reilly, Colonie and Clifton Park, is the local rep on the Assembly Education Committee.

Links to Assembly Education Comm. members

Aren't there two sepearte committees ? Education (K-12) and Higher Education? If that's correct Reilly wouldn't have any input on Higher Ed. other than a general vote.

I think you're correct, and that may be a problem. In the Assembly Higher Ed committee I only saw the nearest assemblymen to be Miller (Johnstown) Cahill (Kingston) and Miller (Poughkeepsie) - nobody really near the Capital District.

Bob Reilly, Colonie and Clifton Park, is the local rep on the Assembly Education Committee.

Aren't there two sepearte committees ? Education (K-12) and Higher Education? If that's correct Reilly wouldn't have any input on Higher Ed. other than a general vote.

I think you're correct, and that may be a problem. In the Assembly Higher Ed committee I only saw the nearest assemblymen to be Miller (Johnstown) Cahill (Kingston) and Miller (Poughkeepsie) - nobody really near the Capital District.

Also, this is the Assembly committee, not Senate. It was the Sentae budget resolution that singled out Buff and SB. The Assembly budget response should be public shortly.

Stavisky is chair of the NYS Senate Higher Education Commitee. Members of the committee are

Sen. James S. Alesi

Sen. Darrel J. Aubertine

Sen. John J. Flanagan

Sen. Brian X. Foley

Sen. Joseph A. Griffo

Sen. Kemp Hannon

Sen. Shirley L. Huntley

Sen. Liz Krueger

Sen. Kenneth P. LaValle

Sen. George D. Maziarz

Sen. George Onorato

Sen. Suzi Oppenheimer

Sen. Kevin S. Parker

Sen. Joseph E. Robach

Sen. Eric T. Schneiderman

Sen. José M. Serrano

Sen. James L. Seward

I didn't look them up, but there don't seem to be any Capital District names in this group.

Also, this is the Assembly committee, not Senate. It was the Sentae budget resolution that singled out Buff and SB. The Assembly budget response should be public shortly.

Stavisky is chair of the NYS Senate Higher Education Commitee. Members of the committee are

Sen. James S. Alesi

Sen. Darrel J. Aubertine

Sen. John J. Flanagan

Sen. Brian X. Foley

Sen. Joseph A. Griffo

Sen. Kemp Hannon

Sen. Shirley L. Huntley

Sen. Liz Krueger

Sen. Kenneth P. LaValle

Sen. George D. Maziarz

Sen. George Onorato

Sen. Suzi Oppenheimer

Sen. Kevin S. Parker

Sen. Joseph E. Robach

Sen. José M. Serrano

Sen. James L. Seward

I didn't look them up, but there don't seem to be any Capital District names in this group.

Robach sponsored UB2020 and we all know what Lavalle did for SBU. Pretty clear why SBU and UB were included in the Senate version and UA and Bing weren't.

Sen. James S. Alesi

Sen. Darrel J. Aubertine

Sen. John J. Flanagan

Sen. Brian X. Foley

Sen. Joseph A. Griffo

Sen. Kemp Hannon

Sen. Shirley L. Huntley

Sen. Liz Krueger

Sen. Kenneth P. LaValle

Sen. George D. Maziarz

Sen. George Onorato

Sen. Suzi Oppenheimer

Sen. Kevin S. Parker

Sen. Joseph E. Robach

Sen. José M. Serrano

Sen. James L. Seward

Robach sponsored UB2020 and we all know what Lavalle did for SBU. Pretty clear why SBU and UB were included in the Senate version and UA and Bing weren't.

Where is our champion?

So the SUNY Empowerment and Innovation Act portion appears to have been taken out of the newest Assembly budget bills entirely.

A9707-B has Part E (which was the Empowermnet Act) as an "intentional ommission".

http://assembly.stat...ummary=Y&Text=Y

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure what the exclusion means? Does it signify that they accept the governors recommendation, or reject it entirely?

So the SUNY Empowerment and Innovation Act portion appears to have been taken out of the newest Assembly budget bills entirely.

A9707-B has Part E (which was the Empowermnet Act) as an "intentional ommission".

http://assembly.stat...ummary=Y&Text=Y

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure what the exclusion means? Does it signify that they accept the governors recommendation, or reject it entirely?

It apparently means that they didn't act on it. Meaning they're trying to pass the budget without it but they haven't rejected the Act outright.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/24/998118/paterson-criticizes-legislatures.html

The Assembly plan restores money to a variety of social welfare programs, as well as the State University of New York system and financial aid for college students. It also does not act on a plan by Paterson to give more flexibility — on such matters as tuition — to individual SUNY campuses, a proposal pushed heavily by the University at Buffalo.

Archived