UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Chancellor Zimpher on the Offensive

danefan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How assinine. If you arent a resident you cannot send it. That sucks.

I disagree. The legislators are elected to make decisions for those who elected them..thats NYS citizens. They are elected to represent NYS citizens whose taxes are used for funding in the state. If you're not a NYS citizen why should they take your opinion into consideration? Should my opinions on the Big Dig matter to a Massachuttess state legislator....No. Its understandable you do have an opinion on this topic as you went to school in NYS, but if you don't live, pay taxes or elect the officials in NYS its logical that your opinion shouldn't influence a decision like this. Just my opinion.

I disagree. The legislators are elected to make decisions for those who elected them..thats NYS citizens. They are elected to represent NYS citizens whose taxes are used for funding in the state. If you're not a NYS citizen why should they take your opinion into consideration? Should my opinions on the Big Dig matter to a Massachuttess state legislator....No. Its understandable you do have an opinion on this topic as you went to school in NYS, but if you don't live, pay taxes or elect the officials in NYS its logical that your opinion shouldn't influence a decision like this. Just my opinion.

I agree to some extent, but there are people who are invested in UA and SUNY who are not currently NYS residents. For example, I believe my voice should be heard for the following two reasons among others:

1. I work in NY and therefore I pay NY taxes despite living in NJ.

2. I graduated from UAlbany and paid tuition for my degree. What NYS does with SUNY and UA in particular has a direct effect on the value of my degree in the job world.

There is an issue with who the proper representatives are for people like me though. So I tend to contact the following people who I think are the appropriate ones to voice my displeasure or support to (in no particular order):

- Capital Region reps

- Chancelor Zimpher

- My parent's reps (my "forever" connection to NYS)

I agree to some extent, but there are people who are invested in UA and SUNY who are not currently NYS residents. For example, I believe my voice should be heard for the following two reasons among others:

1. I work in NY and therefore I pay NY taxes despite living in NJ.

2. I graduated from UAlbany and paid tuition for my degree. What NYS does with SUNY and UA in particular has a direct effect on the value of my degree in the job world.

There is an issue with who the proper representatives are for people like me though. So I tend to contact the following people who I think are the appropriate ones to voice my displeasure or support to (in no particular order):

- Capital Region reps

- Chancelor Zimpher

- My parent's reps (my "forever" connection to NYS)

I get your points and see why you care about the decision as it does affect you and giving those thoughts to Zimpher and the school makes sense. Again, I agree you have an interest, but I don't see it being asinine that your voice isn't heard by elected officials as that is who they are directing this letter to http://www.supportsuny.org/campaign/SUNYandCUNYEmpowermentAct?rk=972_QcYaGEd7E Anyways just my 2 cents, no right or wrong answer to it.

For the record, I pay taxes in NYS but dont live there.

That said, even if I didnt live there, I pay a loan that originated in NYS as an in-state student. I have a vested interest in my alma mater and how monies are spent.

That said, even if I didnt live there, I pay a loan that originated in NYS as an in-state student. I have a vested interest in my alma mater and how monies are spent.

I get you have an interest and a valid one but unless you can vote in NY I don't see why the legislature has the responsibility to listen to your voice. Not trying to be rude, but an honest observation. I'm not a political science major (someone who is can correct me), but isn't that the point of a representative government? If no one is there representing you as a citizen there's no one there to listen to you.

Anyways this is getting off topic of this thread and since this could go around and around as there is no right/wrong answer I'll stop posting on this. :)

I get you have an interest and a valid one but unless you can vote in NY I don't see why the legislature has the responsibility to listen to your voice. Not trying to be rude, but an honest observation. I'm not a political science major (someone who is can correct me), but isn't that the point of a representative government? If no one is there representing you as a citizen there's no one there to listen to you.

Anyways this is getting off topic of this thread and since this could go around and around as there is no right/wrong answer I'll stop posting on this. :)

Two reasons why "someone" (chancellor, NYS assembly/senate representatives) would be interested in opinions fron non-NYS residents

1)SUNY is trying to attract more out of state students

2)many SUNY alums have left NYS (brain drain) but maintain ties to alma mater, including financial support (donors to alumni foundations).

I think the auto-mailer was set up to get the letters of support directed to right delegate, but technically non-NYS residents don't have a delegate.

I seem to have used up more than $.02 on this one

-_-

You guys have clearly established that this issue extends well beyond the borders of NYS.

Implications of suny policy does impact a broad group of individuals outside the state, and

goes beyond the argument of ... 'do they live in the political jurisdiction or not'

Therefore, listening to opinions from this group of individuals makes sense.

Not only that, but legally speaking...and I am not getting into a constitutional states vs. fed argument, the STATE RECEIVES BILLIONS IN FUNDING FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOR EDUCATION in some way shape or form.

While non-residents do not have voting rights, they have some sort of dog in the race aspect because their federal $$$ from taxes help support all the states. I.e., there is no proportional disparity on how the federal tax $$$ are spent based on what state you live in. Taxes go to a huge pool and it is our FEDERAL reps that battle out who gets what. So theoretically speaking, if I am living in MA and a disportionate amount of my tax $$ are going to a state that, by virtue of its screwed up political system/educational governance, causes more $$ to have to flow to the state to cover shortfalls...or puts the state at a competitive economic disadvantage...I should be allowed to have my voice heard.

As an example, I am working on a deal that has now engulfed to Senators from differing states (Spector and Kerry) regarding Federal vs. State funding for a huge transit system. The point of the lobbying is that the laws of one state cause the feds to have to support said state in their transit overhaul, effectively taking money from the taxpayers of the state where the overhaul is not occuring...to help cover the costs.

• 1 month later...

Post-Rally Q & A (only the first third pertains to PHEEIA):

PHEEIA Q & A

Story: T-U Meeting story

Patterson's press release

Stony Brook appears to have streamed the whole event live. No updates on the UA and BU Empowerment sites, though I certainly understand if UA's updates are delayed with all the buzz with future construction in the last 48 hours.

Archived