UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brown interviewing at Dartmouth?

I smell desparation or uncomfort w/ current position.

If someone offered you a job and you didn't seek them out, why would you consider that person desperate? Is it only because he interviewed? I disagree but everyone has their opinions thats what makes this board fun! If we all agreed it would be boring haha.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone offered you a job and you didn't seek them out, why would you consider that person desperate? Is it only because he interviewed? I disagree but everyone has their opinions thats what makes this board fun! If we all agreed it would be boring haha.

To clarify, my desperation opinion is three fold. One that he interviewed. Two at a place that pays (reportedly) 30%+- less and has, in my opinion, less upside. And third, this is the second time in 3 years that he has done it.

To clarify, my desperation opinion is two fold. One that he interviewed. Two at a place that pays (reportedly) 30%+- less and has, in my opinion, less upside.

I would argue that he would have be guaranteed a 6yr contract for over $1Million. Having a young family, that kind of guarantee is something he shouldn't take lightly as his current contract us up in 2yrs. And he will still have a family to take care of in 2yrs ...if they don't renew him, which is always a possibility knowing you will be employed for 4 extra years is a big deal. IMHO But it this has been talked about for 7 pages on here, so I'll stop reiterating it hah.

Mark S. confirms it in the latest TU blog entry.

Well we know now that we have a coach who is not good enough to coach dismal Dartmouth program. They do not even want him.

Seems like he is saying he withdrew his name to make it look like he didn't want the job. I would say he probably was never offered the job and said he withdrew to save face. He must feel pretty pathetic that he couldn't get the job.

I believe what he did these past couple of weeks was a slap in the face to Albany. Tell me how he wasn't jerking us around.

CB did what any one of us would do. When approached about a job, he listened. I guess I can't speak for anyone else on this board, but throughout the 6 years in my life that I have been working, I have been approached multiple times about different opportunities, and I have gone on interviews even though I already had a job that I was more than happy to be at. It's human nature to want to see what else is out there. I'm not defending CB specifically. I'm saying anyone of us would do the same thing if we were put in those shoes, that's all. Let's put all of this behind us and go back to focusing on how we're going to make 2010-2011 better than 2009-2010

+1

I love my job. I talk to representatives of prospective employers (headhunters) almost everyday.

+2

I am so glad that I cant post with quotes- what I would have said would have been more venomous than MsGDG, Rocked, DF and others. You are not a good businessperson if you dont listen to offers.

And folks...this is DI hoops...and this happens all the time.

To clarify, my desperation opinion is three fold. One that he interviewed. Two at a place that pays (reportedly) 30%+- less and has, in my opinion, less upside. And third, this is the second time in 3 years that he has done it.

Not true in your facts. Why?

No state income tax.

No state sales tax.

6 years guaranteed (more money in the long term)

Better pension (ever see an IVY pension)

Much cheaper cost of living (plus, most IVY's give Coaches housing allowances, heck i was offered one right after college when I interviewed to be in Princeton's ADept).

Frankly, Coach has done some things this year that had me scratching my head. However, taking into consideration the above, if he didnt talk to them I would have scratched my head REAL HARD; the finances were as good if not better than his current deal.

Brown interviewed on campus last Wednesday, 7 days ago. Therefore, we assume he was contacted at least over 10 days ago or more. He may or may not have learned the salary and time details at that time.

Regardless of when Brown knew the position paid 80k less annually for 6 years, (for a program that is arguably in much worse shape than UAlbany and for a facility that is arguably much less attractive) he

chose to remain in consideration for the past 7 days. Sounds like legitimate interest in the position. Or legitimate lack of interest in staying with UA.

If he was never very interested, wouldn't making a statement shortly after the interview last Wednesday to clarify his intentions.... (staying at Albany and only being curious on what they had to say), especially since the media attention was intense all week.

I think he's been seriously considering the position, and found out that he wasn't going to be hired.

Regardless, time to step up the program. I appreciate the efforts that got us to the NCAAs, but I don't believe keeping the program in the basement is worthy of keeping the job too long from now...

Well we know now that we have a coach who is not good enough to coach dismal Dartmouth program. They do not even want him.

Seems like he is saying he withdrew his name to make it look like he didn't want the job. I would say he probably was never offered the job and said he withdrew to save face. He must feel pretty pathetic that he couldn't get the job.

I believe what he did these past couple of weeks was a slap in the face to Albany. Tell me how he wasn't jerking us around.

CB did what any one of us would do. When approached about a job, he listened. I guess I can't speak for anyone else on this board, but throughout the 6 years in my life that I have been working, I have been approached multiple times about different opportunities, and I have gone on interviews even though I already had a job that I was more than happy to be at. It's human nature to want to see what else is out there. I'm not defending CB specifically. I'm saying anyone of us would do the same thing if we were put in those shoes, that's all. Let's put all of this behind us and go back to focusing on how we're going to make 2010-2011 better than 2009-2010

+1

I love my job. I talk to representatives of prospective employers (headhunters) almost everyday.

+2

I am so glad that I cant post with quotes- what I would have said would have been more venomous than MsGDG, Rocked, DF and others. You are not a good businessperson if you dont listen to offers.

It certainly is DI hoops, and a very ugly part of it, but that's for another discussion.

I would continue to disagree w/ many on what is a no harm in listening approach and "not a good businessperson" if you don't listen. You need to listen very carefully, while still employed. Let's just say I would not think the following is good business.

You are employed, with a two year contract, as a Doctor at a top hospital. It pays decent. A small hospital w/ no research budget, a dismall record, and public knowledge of lower wages calls and wants to interview you, and your current employer must OK you interviewing. Maybe I'm in the minority but I respectfully decline that call. Add to it that you already played this card w/ your employer just a few years prior.

Now, I stick w/ some desperation. Why? Has he gotten a message from Dr. Mc.? Does he not think there will be a turnaround this year? Just a terrible work environment? Budget cuts?

Not true in your facts. Why?

No state income tax.

No state sales tax.

6 years guaranteed (more money in the long term)

Better pension (ever see an IVY pension)

Much cheaper cost of living (plus, most IVY's give Coaches housing allowances, heck i was offered one right after college when I interviewed to be in Princeton's ADept).

Frankly, Coach has done some things this year that had me scratching my head. However, taking into consideration the above, if he didnt talk to them I would have scratched my head REAL HARD; the finances were as good if not better than his current deal.

Good points on income and sales tax. 8%+- on income tax. Sales tax, depends on spending habits.

The six guaranteed just doesn't ring for me. And maybe I don't fully understand the current situation. But if CB is fired after next season he still gets $250 for this year and $250 for next, that's $500, and leaves him 5 years to earn $520 ($104/year). What I'm I missing? I don't have a contract and can be fired at any time and wouldn't take that kind of guarantee.

Pension? Maybe. I'm sure it's better, but can a DI coach ever expect to be around long enough?

After the sales and income tax, I'm not sure much difference in cost of living. Again maybe, but minimal.

+1

+2

It certainly is DI hoops, and a very ugly part of it, but that's for another discussion.

I would continue to disagree w/ many on what is a no harm in listening approach and "not a good businessperson" if you don't listen. You need to listen very carefully, while still employed. Let's just say I would not think the following is good business.

You are employed, with a two year contract, as a Doctor at a top hospital. It pays decent. A small hospital w/ no research budget, a dismall record, and public knowledge of lower wages calls and wants to interview you, and your current employer must OK you interviewing. Maybe I'm in the minority but I respectfully decline that call. Add to it that you already played this card w/ your employer just a few years prior.

Now, I stick w/ some desperation. Why? Has he gotten a message from Dr. Mc.? Does he not think there will be a turnaround this year? Just a terrible work environment? Budget cuts?

I think where the disconnect between us may be is in the fact that despite the lower salary the Dartmouth job could have been a better job to Brown because of the security and fiscal uncertainty that you mention above. So if I get that call I'm going to listen.

+1

+2

I think where the disconnect between us may be is in the fact that despite the lower salary the Dartmouth job could have been a better job to Brown because of the security and fiscal uncertainty that you mention above. So if I get that call I'm going to listen.

I guess it comes down to personal opinion and choice. Like I said, I have no job security, he has two years, and I just would not take that kind of call unless I thought my current employer was getting rid of me or going out of business. And again, my employer would never find out. His now knows.

I highly doubt he is guaranteed this year or next. He probably has some sort of small buy-out clause.

As for cost of living...believe me...it is a HUGE difference living in Hanover than Albany. I practically go through Hanover every weekend in the winter and have many friends (including my physician) who have lived there.

I see your point...but when you are on contract or you are making the sums of $$ coach's make...you listen. And here is the deal, if he brings together a squad by the last year of his contract that is highly competitive...I dont think McElroy would hold a grudge.

I highly doubt he is guaranteed this year or next. He probably has some sort of small buy-out clause.

As for cost of living...believe me...it is a HUGE difference living in Hanover than Albany. I practically go through Hanover every weekend in the winter and have many friends (including my physician) who have lived there.

I see your point...but when you are on contract or you are making the sums of $$ coach's make...you listen. And here is the deal, if he brings together a squad by the last year of his contract that is highly competitive...I dont think McElroy would hold a grudge.

No real info here. I think your last sentence is the deal.

I just don't think they get along. An uncomfortable work arrangement can be very taxing. And if that is the case maybe I take the same steps Coach is taking. I may also call that desperate (maybe not the perfect word). If he wins McElroy will be forced to deal w/ it, but I don't thing he'd be happy about it.

Reading this discussion, some valid points are being made. I'll say this though...had he contacted them about the job, I'd have a problem with it if I'm being totally frank. Seeing how they contacted him, I presume at or around the final four which he attended, I have very little issues with him going on the interview. At my current job, if someone called me and said we have a job opportunity that we think you'd be a good fit for, would you be interesting in listening to what we have to offer...100 times out of 100 I'd go listen, AS WOULD JUST ABOUT ANYONE ELSE.

Now to the issue that he let things dangle and didn't pull himself from the search earlier, it's unclear exactly what he was being told by Dartmouth in regards to what they are prepared to offer him or any other candidate. We've all seen the figure reported of 170K over 6 years. How do we know how accurate this figure is?

Something else that has crosses my mind, seeing how THEY contacted him, is it totally out of the realm of possibility that he gave them a list of things they'd need to do in order to give him the necessary tools needed to compete at the Ivy level/mid-major level. Perhaps they were not prepared to fund/support the program at an acceptable level and he pulled out, either that or they dragged their feet to long, to the point where it was hurting his job performance at UA, mainly recruiting.

I'll say this...if I know I have two year on my contract and someone says, we might be interesting in giving you the security of SIX year, I jump in my car and go listen to what they have to say.

Archived