UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brown interviewing at Dartmouth?

For the people that say coaches looking for better opportunities is part of D-1 basketball...

Getting fired or let go for not performing is also part of D-1 basketball. Brown is lucky Albany can't afford to ax him after the shenanigans he pulled. In D-1 basketball the way these coaches get evaluated is on wins and loses it's a fact. He is 64-82 in conference and 113-149 overall. If you want to look at it like that well he has done awful for the most part of his career except for 2 years. He's had 2 winning seasons surrounded by losing seasons. If I was an AD and found out my coach went looking for another job with his piss poor record I'd show him the door. If your winning every season go ahead and interview with who ever you want.

For those who compare their jobs to Coach Brown's job give me a break.

I Rocked, you said "I have gone on interviews even though I already had a job that I was more than happy to be at. It's human nature to want to see what else is out there." Ok so if you performed badly at your job for the past 2 years like Coach has, you would feel confident to tell your employer that you are looking for another job? Let me tell you something your employer would be the first one to tell you good bye and don't bother coming in tomorrow. You can't compare what we do in real life to a what a College coach does.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the people that say coaches looking for better opportunities is part of D-1 basketball...

Getting fired or let go for not performing is also part of D-1 basketball. Brown is lucky Albany can't afford to ax him after the shenanigans he pulled. In D-1 basketball the way these coaches get evaluated is on wins and loses it's a fact. He is 64-82 in conference and 113-149 overall. If you want to look at it like that well he has done awful for the most part of his career except for 2 years. He's had 2 winning seasons surrounded by losing seasons. If I was an AD and found out my coach went looking for another job with his piss poor record I'd show him the door. If your winning every season go ahead and interview with who ever you want.

I Rocked, you said "I have gone on interviews even though I already had a job that I was more than happy to be at. It's human nature to want to see what else is out there." Ok so if you performed badly at your job for the past 2 years like Coach has, you would feel confident to tell your employer that you are looking for another job? Let me tell you something your employer would be the first one to tell you good bye and don't bother coming in tomorrow. You can't compare what we do in real life to a what a College coach does.

You entire post hinges on your perception that HE contacted them...my understanding is that THEY contacted him. Like I said previously, if he contacted them first I'd have a problem with it (as a fan), I have no issue with them contacting him and him listening.

YOU WANT THE MAN GONE...and thankfully, just like some of us want him here...NONE OF US ARE INVOLVED IN THE DECISION MAKING.

Don't think it's about whether he wants him gone or you want him to stay. I think the issue here is your ego and know all never wrong attitude.

This is why this board exits so people can express their opinions, but when you put someone down for stating their opinions that's where problems will start.

If I was an AD and found out my coach went looking for another job with his piss poor record I'd show him the door - UA08

That's probably why you aren't an AD.

Maybe he (the AD) knows more about what's going on with the program then you do????

There was no sneaking going on Dartmouth contacted the AD for permission.

You might start wondering why someone who had just won only 7 games is still wanted by other DI schools (Dartmouth & Pitt).

You entire post hinges on your perception that HE contacted them...my understanding is that THEY contacted him. Like I said previously, if he contacted them first I'd have a problem with it (as a fan), I have no issue with them contacting him and him listening.

Wouldn't you say that if you are contacted about the job, and you decided to interview, that shows plenty of interest? In my opinion whether they contacted him or he contacted them there was still the thought in Coach Brown's mind to leave. He could have said NO. Did he really think that by saying Yes I will interview, wouldn't stir up things at Albany and with their already disgruntled fans?

If I was an AD and found out my coach went looking for another job with his piss poor record I'd show him the door - UA08

Maybe he (the AD) knows more about what's going on with the program then you do????

You might start wondering why someone who had just won only 7 games is still wanted by other DI schools (Dartmouth & Pitt).

I hope he knows more than I do. Well the fact is that the AD granted permission shows how much the AD really wants him here still. He was willing to let him bounce and get out of the 250k contract.

Yes I am wondering why they wanted him and why he did not get the job. As of right now all we know is that he withdrew. There is no word if he was offered the job. From with drawing his name it looks like he didn't get the job and was trying to save face.

Just to let everyone know this is all just conversation and if anyone is offended I apologize. Trust me I still root for Albany no matter what. This is just good healthy sports talk and this is why this forum exists.

I hope he knows more than I do. Well the fact is that the AD granted permission shows how much the AD really wants him here still. He was willing to let him bounce and get out of the 250k contract.

Yes I am wondering why they wanted him and why he did not get the job. As of right now all we know is that he withdrew. There is no word if he was offered the job. From with drawing his name it looks like he didn't get the job and was trying to save face.

As a point of clarification...when a school asks to speak to a coach, 99.9999999% of the time permissions is granted. I don't think I've ever seen a school deny a request.

In all honesty, IMO the fact that Dr. McElroy gave permission to Dartmouth means little to nothing in terms of what Dr. McElroy thinks of CB or his job performance.

YOU WANT THE MAN GONE...and thankfully, just like some of us want him here...NONE OF US ARE INVOLVED IN THE DECISION MAKING.

Correct. I would be happy to see him take the Dartmouth job or the Pitt job. Not fired. Leave on his own accord. Save the University the money.

Usually that would lead to a few steps backward with a new coach. In this case, not many backward steps to take. The last year and three quarters was an absolute disaster.

As a point of clarification...when a school asks to speak to a coach, 99.9999999% of the time permissions is granted. I don't think I've ever seen a school deny a request.

In all honesty, IMO the fact that Dr. McElroy gave permission to Dartmouth means little to nothing in terms of what Dr. McElroy thinks of CB or his job performance.

You're right most schools do grant permission. I too was hoping he'd take the job at dartmouth so we wouldn't be on the hook for his contract. For 250k a year if they scrounged up 50K more they could bring in a solid replacement for the next couple years.

Wow, that was a lot of reading. I did not want to see him go since I'm intrigued by the core he has put together and the available scholarships and think there is a chance for a turnaround here. I was more upset that this whole process was taking so long. I was happy to hear that they pursued him and not the other way around.

I do think the "It doesn't hurt to listen" is a bit of an exaggeration. It does hurt with some of the fans, could hurt with the players and/or recruits. Also, he didn't HAVE to listen anything but something about it must have intrigued him. Pure speculation but......Maybe the Ivy prestige (of which Dartmouth doesn't have much of in basketball but as an institution), maybe the guaranteed money, maybe the feeling of insecurity after a tough season and people calling for his job, maybe a less stressful situation, maybe having been with the same school so long he just wanted to hear and feel an interview situation with another D1 school, maybe he felt if he could turn that program around it would be a better springboard to a better D1 job, maybe he and him family wanted to move to a smaller town atmosphere for their children, maybe he was just excited someone was interested after a poor season..... as I said, all pure SPECULATION but all somewhat possible but we will probably never know.

That doesn't mean that I like or approve of him accepting the interview and waiting a over a week to "withdraw" if he was only listening to them. I can understand people being pissed and the people who want him gone will use this to further their cause. I can also understand the people defending him. I'm just glad this is over and we can focus on the season now. GO DANES!

• 4 weeks later...

To bad Jeff got run, I bet he'd be pretty entertaining right now...or not, just a thought.

I knew you'd miss me. I think CB sees the writing on the wall and he was looking for a way out. Because if he doesn't deliever a winning season next year or show significant signs of improvement he is going to be run out of UA and probably D1 all together.

To bad Jeff got run, I bet he'd be pretty entertaining right now...or not, just a thought.

I knew you'd miss me. I think CB sees the writing on the wall and he was looking for a way out. Because if he doesn't deliever a winning season next year or show significant signs of improvement he is going to be run out of UA and probably D1 all together.

I'm glad your back hopefully this time you'll adhere to some sort of rules and not make a mockery of this board. Differing opinions are fun, as long as you don't hijack every single thread.

I'm glad your back hopefully this time you'll adhere to some sort of rules and not make a mockery of this board. Differing opinions are fun, as long as you don't hijack every single thread.

I will adhere and post where the comments belong haha. It's been far too long.

Actually....quite not the case.

But...then again, what do some of us know. Dont you have a St. Rose team to break down.

Archived