UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SUNY tuition change proves sticking point

Clickclack

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tie-up isn't the NYS senate, its the assembly (i.e. Sheldon Silver)

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/28961/silver-were-not-really-talking-but-he-wont-veto-it/

No one in the assembly seems to have challenged Silver publicly on the SUNY reform issue.

Some WNY delegates have spoken, but they just don't have the clout to sway Silver:

In the Assembly, Crystal D. Peoples-Stokes, D-Buffalo, said downstate Democrats could not be convinced to back the SUNY plan. "I'm disappointed. I think it's a mistake," Peoples-Stokes said of the Assembly's opposition to the SUNY plan. "A majority of members with SUNY campuses in their districts could have voted for this, but were not given the opportunity."...

...when you have Downstate Dems in key positions who just don't understand why WNY delegates see SUNY Flex as their #1 legislative priority:

But a key lawmaker in the Assembly called that idea a nonstarter. "I think that has very little support in our conference," said Assembly Higher Education Committee Chairwoman Deborah J. Glick, D-Manhattan, who believes that the SUNY plan would harm low-income students.

"Frankly, I really don't understand why people in the Western New York region can go back and tell the working- and middle-class people in their districts, "UB is going to be great, but you won't be able to afford to go,'" Glick said.

Glick's statement overstepped her representative responsibility. It's not her place to assume what the people of WNY, who she does not represent, want or don't want.

Sen. Stachowski had the process by the balls when he had the high ed bill pulled when he saw SUNY Flex was not included. He should have stayed firm instead of trusting Sampson that something would be done later to 'sway' the Assembly leaders.

Looks like y'all need to get on Canestrari's case:

Canestrari said he opposes the Empowerment Act as it’s been proposed and believes most of his colleagues in the Assembly are against it too. He has a lot of reservations, “all of which I think fatally wound the empowerment plan,” he said.

Canestrari said doesn’t like the provision that allows the university systems to set their own tuition and charge different tuitions at different schools. There’s no guarantee that the money collected in tuition would stay in the system, he said. One of the other objections he has is he doesn’t think the university systems should be able to contract out land-lease agreements without legislative approval, he said.

Senate Approahes Assembly

Looks like y'all need to get on Canestrari's case:

Canestrari said he opposes the Empowerment Act as it's been proposed and believes most of his colleagues in the Assembly are against it too. He has a lot of reservations, "all of which I think fatally wound the empowerment plan," he said.

Canestrari said doesn't like the provision that allows the university systems to set their own tuition and charge different tuitions at different schools. There's no guarantee that the money collected in tuition would stay in the system, he said. One of the other objections he has is he doesn't think the university systems should be able to contract out land-lease agreements without legislative approval, he said.

Senate Approahes Assembly

Unfortunately I think its dead in the Assembly. Most of the residents of this state just don't get it, especially the downstaters. They're OK with a mediocre SUNY. The Assembly is just a reflection of that sentiment.

The whole NYS legislature should be striving to reach mediocrity. When that's their, as yet, unreachable goal, excellence is too far over their horizon.

The comment:

There's no guarantee that the money collected in tuition would stay in the system, he said.

That's laughable and pretty disingenuous. SUNY never got any of the tuition increases until we got 10% of the latest one.

• 2 weeks later...

I am VERY concerned that a deal will be cut between Buffalo and Stony Brook. Sen Breslin is on the record that a deal must include UAlbany but the articles I've read seem to point to the fact that he won't fight for it. It would be very bad to be left out. It would further solidify the fact that there is something special about the SUNY campuses on Long Island or Buffalo. Sen Breslin NEEDS to make sure the Capitol District isn't religated to 2nd class status.

The Senate introduced a new bill, "New York State Public Higher Education Fairness Act" for further negotiations. Don't bother searching for terms in the text, lol. The 4 University Centers are the only SUNY and CUNY units named for reforms. EDIT: The other units will see some reforms as well.

S08440

Blog post from the T-U: Senate Puts Forward Negotiating Bills

Thanks for the update UB. I hope the bill goes through as it is, but its hard to imagine its not going to get carved to pieces if passed at all through the Assembly. The Senate doesn't worry me. The Assembly with the strong Downstate power focus is the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

One last ditch effort to contact local Pols

Dear Alumni and Friends, As you may know, the Governor and State Legislature are at a critical stage in negotiations over the Public Higher Education Empowerment and Innovation Empowerment Act – historic, landmark reform that promises to provide much-needed regulatory relief to the University at Albany and State University of New York System.

An op-ed column earlier this week in The New York Times by former SUNY provost Peter Salins clearly outlines the need for passage of the Public Higher Education Empowerment and Innovation Act (or PHEEIA). PHEEIA would allow SUNY and CUNY to set their own tuition rates and give them the freedom to raise additional revenue to compensate for the $840 million in budget cuts the state has imposed over the past three years.

The column presents a cogent, irrefutable argument for why this legislation is crucial to SUNY and CUNY and also points out the reasons why PHEEIA makes good economic sense given the role institutions such as UAlbany have in our state's revitalization.

I encourage you to read the article and call or email the message below to key legislators to encourage their support of this critical legislation. A decision could be reached as early as Tuesday, so I encourage you to send these messages today.

Senator Neil Breslin, breslin@senate.state.ny.us, 455-2225

Senator McDonald, mcdonald@senate.state.ny.us, 455-2381

Senator Hugh Farley, farley@senate.state.ny.us, 455-2181

Assembly Majority Leader Ron Canestrari, canestr@assembly.state.ny.us, 455-2181

Assemblyman John McEneny, mcenenj@assembly.state.ny.us, 455-4178

Assemblyman Tim Gordon, gordont@assembly.state.ny.us, 455-5777

Assemblyman Bob Reilly, reillyr@assembly.state.ny.us, 455-5931

Sincerely,

William J. McCann ’86, ‘87

President, University at Albany Alumni Association

P.S. We’d like to track our progress, so if you send emails or call legislators, please drop us an email at alumniassociation@uamail.albany.edu to let us know (or you can simply copy us on your email to the legislators).

DRAFT EMAIL TO LEGISLATORS

Dear Senator:

As you conclude the State Budget, I write in strong support of the Empowerment and Innovation Act, which will provide vitally important flexibility and autonomy to the University at Albany, as well as other SUNY and CUNY campuses across New York State.

I especially want to underscore how important it is for the University at Albany to be one of the pilot campuses in the final legislation. This is critically important to the economy and well-being of the Capital Region.

In the wake of 20 years of declining State assistance in public higher education, this landmark legislation will enable campuses like the University at Albany to take control of their future by generating new revenue, hiring new faculty and researchers, fostering new research and discovery, providing a richer academic experience for our students and much more.

The Empowerment Act will ensure that the University at Albany – the single largest enterprise in the Capital District with over 26,500 members – continues to serve as the engine for future economic growth and job creation in the region.

Thank you in advance for your support of the University at Albany.

Archived