UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Ding Ding...Danefan hit the nail on the head while I was typing.

Move along folks...there is nothing wrong with the Addendum...no alarms. If anything, it actually enforces the fact that UA is actually doing this.

But it isn't narrowing the choice to 2 alternatives.

It is expanding the market by lowering the requirements.

First the prospective firm needed to have been involved with 5 Divsion I/professional stadiums.

Now that number is two.

Maybe next week it will be 1 stadium at ANY level.

Obviously that is an exaggeration, but prior to the addendum, the market was more constrained. Heck, it could be a blessing in disguise (it doesn't eliminate a newer, hungrier entity), but it is definitely worth noting.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ding Ding...Danefan hit the nail on the head while I was typing.

Move along folks...there is nothing wrong with the Addendum...no alarms. If anything, it actually enforces the fact that UA is actually doing this.

But it isn't narrowing the choice to 2 alternatives.

It is expanding the market by lowering the requirements.

First the prospective firm needed to have been involved with 5 Divsion I/professional stadiums.

Now that number is two.

Maybe next week it will be 1 stadium at ANY level.

Obviously that is an exaggeration, but prior to the addendum, the market was more constrained. Heck, it could be a blessing in disguise (it doesn't eliminate a newer, hungrier entity), but it is definitely worth noting.

Good point - I read it fast requiring only 2 alternative designs, but it is really requiring the firm to have worked on 2 similar project as you have said.

I find it hard to believe that any firm is going to have any experience with this becuase a 6,000 seat football facilities for a Division I or professional team is a complete an utter joke. I guess they'll probably be looking at 6,000 seat track or soccer facilities which would probably limit the examples available as well.

I'm hoping they have someone in mind already and realized that the 5 examples was too limited for that firm. I think they probably do have someone in mind as they would have probably put out an RFP instead of an RFQ otherwise, wouldn't they? My understanding is an RFQ is of greater specificity and eliminates firms that don't have great experience doing this, of which there are pretty limited numbers.

But I'm no construction bid expert.

Haggy,

While you make an otherwise normal point, public procurement rules are very complicated...and while logically your argument makes sense, in reality anything to that basis would likely to lead to a protest of award because frankly...it would look odd at this point to make that reduction. They would have to flat out state the reason for doing so...and frankly, opening the market up doesnt help the process as this seems it isnt a straight forward low bid process. Thus, it would seem a start-up venture is unlikely to be a responsible bidder in this process.

Size and scope are subjective...is 8,000 similar to 5,000...etc. Even 10,000...etc. Arguably, since this is expandable to 24,000...pretty much all competent builders in this field (and designers) have done 5 projects on this basis.

That said, with this university...who the heck knows what they are doing...things havent been logical from the start.

With the latest developments in mind, what is everybody's best guess at this point?

In terms of:

Initial size of stadium

When shovels hit the ground

Completion of initial phase

From what I've been able to glean so far...

- not entirely sure

- shovels hit ground at the conclusion of the '11 season

- home opener in '12 will be a new stadium. Exactly what gets build from what I can gather will depend largely on the cost analysis studies that will be run during the deign phase.

Just my read on it but I wouldn't expect Phase 1 to look anything like the video but who knows though. The point is it will be better (maybe much better) then the dump we have now.

I think 6000 seats ready for 2012 season is more than reasonable to expect. If for some reason we have a conference change before then we could see more capacity. Afterall that's two more capital budgets to get $5 mil a pop in and 2 years to fundraise.

Archived