UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs. Cornell

52%

33.3%

E

FG PCT; 3-PT PCT; Rebounding. VERY GOOD NUMBERS ON OPENING NIGHT.

We shoot better from the line (paltry, 52%), Black doesn't get hurt, cut down on turnovers....any one of those three things happen and we win the game.

This is the youngest UA team Albany has fielded in my 20 years following the program, and I'd say they played at least how I expected if not slightly better. We have two big-time stars in the making (Black and Devlin), one solid cog (Aronholt) who should be a regular All-AE'er (maybe not first team...but he will make one of them), and a big man who to me was much better activity and athletically-wise than I could have ever expected (PUK).

That is a solid nucleus to build on...so why dont you give them until conference play before sending them to bottom of the barrel.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7-25

That's what I see. We were overmatched by a BAD cornell team. I know I'm going to be bashed to no-end for saying this but I see little to happy about after last night. I see nothing different from last year. I mean really guys come on, how many tough losses are we going to write off because "the team is young and loaded with talent"? At some point winning needs to start happening and improvement needs to be made. The offense was inefficient, the defense was putrid, and coach looked clueless.

First off-mike black. I like him running the O, I do, and losing him is going to hurt. 10 points, great. 0 assists and 4 turnovers, not so great. Those that want to claim he was stopping the perimete attack, Cornell shot only 1.1% better from 3 in the second half (made/took less overall too). Putting the loss on the injury is not acceptable or logical, he may be our future, but he is not our present.

Second-Coach Brown. I thought he completely mis-managed the game, especially given the loss of black mid way. Clearly this is a different, slower offense without black, so why were we trying to play as if he was not missing?? I also thought he didn't use his timeouts well in the second half, letting Cornell build by not calling them at certain points, and killing ours by calling one at other times. I really hope he cuts down on the size of the rotation once Black comes back, more on that later.

Third- Tim Ambrose. Everyone here pretty much hates him for anything he does, so again I'll probably get bashed for saying this as well, but he will be any/all success this team has this year. Lead the team with 20 points (next closest was logan with 13 in 3 more minutes than tim). Lead the team in assists (Black played on 13 minutes true, but I'd expect him to have at least something). Turnovers, yes he lead the team with 6, but that's only 2 more than Black had and Tim played more than double the minutes. Maybe instead of portraying him as the anti-christ, we should in fact praise him since once again he demonstrated he's the only one who can legitamately score (and maybe the only one with a fiber of talent on the roster).

Fourth- Everyone else. Puk, Moore, Lati, Metcalf, Watts, Lindfors- 8 points, 9 rebounds, 2 steals, 4 assists. THAT'S TERRIBLE. You can't rely on Tim and Mike to do it all. Logan and Luke had acceptable games in my opinion. But a rotation this big that puts up numbers that bad, is just a waste of minutes to those who actually have a chance to get it done.

Our defense was awful. Zero blocks? Really? Thank goodness Cornell had 10 unforced turnovers, or this game would have been out of hand. You guys can continue to sugarcoat this team all you'd like, but I won't, not after last year. What happened last year? Tough loss after tough loss and after everyone we wrote it off because the team "is young and loaded with talent". At some point that's gotta start translating into win's and tangible evidence for optimism. By no means am I declaring the season done after 0-1, but I refuse to show any optimism until we start seeing actual victories, not just moral ones.

Let the bashing begin...

If you read any of my posts last year especially some of the rants, you'll know I'm not really one to sugar coat things. I'll ask one question...did you attend the game last night? I can't imagine anyone being at the game and writing what you just wrote. We can have some discourse on some of your points if you want but I wanted to know if you were at the game.

52%

33.3%

E

FG PCT; 3-PT PCT; Rebounding. VERY GOOD NUMBERS ON OPENING NIGHT.

We shoot better from the line (paltry, 52%), Black doesn't get hurt, cut down on turnovers....any one of those three things happen and we win the game.

52%-I agree, very good

33.3%- Much improved, but still not good enough IMO

E- I personally wouldn't say even rebounding is "very good"

As for your next point about last night being a winnable game that got away, that was part of the point I was trying to make. Is this going to to be a team that continues to seemingly will itself to defeat? I mean 2 of the 3 things you mentioned (I agree on all 3 by the way), are completely in our control. The bottom line to me is, based on last night's performance I couldn't help but be reminded of last years team. I guess the true indicator will be if we see game to game improvement that was absent last season.

I'll keep this short as I didn't realize how long my last post was until I actually submitted it...As a fan I hope I'm completely wrong about the team again this year. Last year I had too much hope, even as the early season losses started piling up, and it ultimately lead to one of the most frustrating season's I've ever had as a fan of any team. I hope I'm wrong in thinking the opposite this year. And yes, I was at the game last night, I've been to almost every home game in the past 2+ seasons.

After last year, I can understand some pessimism; but anyone at the game last night had to come away at least "hopeful". Any team, good bad or otherwise has to learn how to win. When this team gets a win or two under their belt and some confidence, I think they will surprise a lot of people. I personally saw a lot of good things at last night's game and I am more than hopeful.

Also, I saw Iati and Black (crutches and all) at todays football game and was able to speak with them a little. When I told them I thought the basketball game was great and the team played well and the wins would come, I think they were pleased that fans are encouraged. Sometimes we forget, these are very young men and a little encouragement and positive reinforcement goes a long way.

I was watching on an IPOD at Physical Therapy....and I screamed NOOOOOOOO when Tim put that shot up. I really like this team's makeup...and we will take our lumps early...but we will surprise people come conference time.

Detroit will be a tough test....really tough...but if we can get a win out there I would be happy. Really like the physical look of Puk.

How were u able to get the game on your iPod?

I see the Murdoch/Faux News takeover of the Wall Street Journal is already having its effect:

"Albany, of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference,"

Mike Black was seen at the football game today. I heard the injury is not as serious as at first feared, but he still won't play Monday.

I see the Murdoch/Faux News takeover of the Wall Street Journal is already having its effect:

"Albany, of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference,"

Mike Black was seen at the football game today. I heard the injury is not as serious as at first feared, but he still won't play Monday.

I heard different...nothing serious like 3 month's but he'll be out a little while.

I don't imagine he'll play Monday or make the GT trip. If there can be a positive in this it's that Watts and Iati get more experience and some confidence out of extended minutes. Hopefully we'll be a stronger team later in the season because of it.

Archived