UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

And a response from the office of Pres Philip:

"We will not be making any major announcements at the Big Purple Growl. There are no new developments with regard to a new Athletics venue. Thank you for your interest."

Susan Supple

Senior Assistant to the President

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And a response from the office of Pres Philip:

"We will not be making any major announcements at the Big Purple Growl. There are no new developments with regard to a new Athletics venue. Thank you for your interest."

Susan Supple

Senior Assistant to the President

Should have bet some $$$$$

Does anyone else feel like the day after Coach Ford retires the UA administration will pull the plug on football? I really do fear this. :(

They have been talking about a stadium since I was at UA and I graduated 6 years ago. Enough talk get this done.

Does anyone else feel like the day after Coach Ford retires the UA administration will pull the plug on football? I really do fear this. :(

They have been talking about a stadium since I was at UA and I graduated 6 years ago. Enough talk get this done.

Bingo.

This is a binging joke! Someone is clearly lying like a rug...the AD says all plans are a go. Just yesterday I was told all funding is in place, coach is meeting with the engineers, the contract awarded to the design and construction firm has been approved by the AG's office.

The presidents office say, nothing to see here. I'm not buying it! Why would the AD just flat out make crap up like this. There is a bit of a revolt on campus with student walkouts and protests trying to roll back the program cuts. I bet we hear something after they settle all of that. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no announcement and they just start doing what they have to do.

Seems almost like deliberate muddling of the waters. Thing is we'll know soon enough as they will have to start doing stuff if they plan on opening the new place in '12.

This is a binging joke! Someone is clearly lying like a rug...the AD says all plans are a go. Just yesterday I was told all funding is in place, coach is meeting with the engineers, the contract awarded to the design and construction firm has been approved by the AG's office.

I did some digging on the State Comptroller's website for contract information: Active Contracts

I can find no reference to an approved contract for the stadium, even though the RFQs were due 8/24/10.

I think we need to ask:

1) What is the contract number?

2) Why is there no record of it being approved?

With this push for transparency in state funding it scares me when you can't find information regarding this project.

Also, I took the time to update the schedule for the project. The Comptroller's website is very current, and it includes contracts that were approved THIS February. So, if we can't find it, it might be sitting at somebody's desk at the Comptroller's Office (where it would go after the A.G. signs off on it), WAITING to be approved.

Problems:

1) We don't know if that is the case.

2) It would severely delay their schedule because it was aggressive to begin with, and left very little wiggle room.

I am going to contact MacElroy this week and see what kind of answers I can get.

updatedtimeline.png

I have been waiting for a stadium since '93 when I walked on campus. That's a lot of years of disappointment. I'm still waiting for a reasonable/comparable stadium for a state univerity the size of UAlbany. Can't believe this is still dragging out.

In September of 1967, as a lost freshman , I wandered into a soccer game and asked where was the football stadium. I was told I was looking at it. A few short years later, I watched the first club football game at "University Field" thinking this place is worse than my high school field (which by the way was probably the worst high school field in NYS {East High Rochester NY--1967 check it out it you do not beleive me it was bad--probably still bad today). So I came from a bad high school facility to an even worse "college stadium". But I saw a new young coach and discovered players who managed to win inspite of the place. Watched and hoped for 38+ years that a real stadium would be built. Watched the first night game after the coaches family had to put up the funds for the lights. Watched from the opposite side (the new home side) on metal bleachers to be closer to the action, until we realized the concesssions and real bathrooms were staying on the visitor side.

In all those years, I watched winning football teams and was amazed at what they accomplished with so little given. There have been program cuts over the years in good times and bad. In Suny and NYS there always will be. Let the cuts be for someone else this time. Ford and UA football are due. We should not be ashamed to ask for our share now, it is LONG overdue. McElroy needs to be more vocal!! I am sorry for the French cuts, but maybe it is their turn--too bad.

If we do not get this stadium started soon, I fear as another blogger said it might be the end of FORD/UA football.

What gets me is the fact that NYS, over all of these years, does not realize the importance

of having well rounded university centers (the pillars) of the self proclaimed BEST state

university system in the country. (I get the gag reflex every time I hear someone spew that out)

There are reasons why the Californians, Texans, Floridians, Louisianians, etc.etc.etc. all want to go to their state univerisities. Maybe because they are well rounded and make themselves nationally competitive in

all areas, not just academics? Maybe because their 'pillars' are giant pillars that put their state univerisities in the forefront of the minds of perspective students?

Maybe we should plead to Sen. LaValle and ask him if he can help us out.... maybe our argument can be based on the items I wrote above?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived