UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs. Iona

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not that upset about this one. I don't think we played THAT bad except for defending the 3 and that was what killed us. 18-30 from 3 for Iona. Logan had another very good game with 25 and Ambrose with 18. Defense needs to improve though because there were really way too many open 3s.

were really missing that 3rd scoring option. ambrose and aronhalt can score for sure. hopefully when black comes in he can be that third option. iona made more 3's than 2's. that is just silly.

on the plus side we shot 49% from the field and 45% from 3. 6 blocks and only 11 to although the press stopped in the 2nd half. allowing 10 offensive rebounds is a no no our bigs are still one of the biggest weaknesses of the team.

but we do have the fire power to score. ambrose and logan combined for 43 of the 65 pts

Even an extreme pessimist such as myself, can't complain too much about this one. Iona is good, very good. They shot the lights out (not those annoying press lights though). They were flat out a better team than us, so this loss is slightly easier to stomach than the first two. What can't be excused is our lack of overall toughness, perimeter D, and wavering effort. The more I see of Iati, the more I love this guy. I know I was critical of him after cornell, but since then I've been really impressed with his play. Love the hustle. Love the fight. Every second he's on the court you can tell he's going 110%. If only we had 4-7 more guys with this kind of attitude. If Tim could dial up the energy just a bit defensively we could say the same about him. Smyth couldn't miss, but it doesn't help that Logan wouldn't come closer than 6 feet to him. Unfortunately, it looks like Logan is taking after Tim defensively...I'm going to lump all of the bigs together and simply say get tougher and play harder. It's sad the toughest and most aggressive guy on the court is 5'9". If the bigs start playing some tough blue collar ball, this team can go places. The guards seem to be progressing and getting better each game, without black too. Keep building boys...

Observations...maybe I'm just apathetic but...this one was easier to stomach. Maybe because the team was actually making shots and scoring some points. With 10 minutes to go it was a 12 point game.

- Offense, still nothing inside, everything is from the outside. Devlin and Puk completely ineffective inside. Gonna make it very easy for the opposition on D to just key on our guards. Interested in seeing Black back, if he can create some easy opportunities inside for our bigs because right now they can't generate any offense down low.

- Defense, perimiter D is atrocious. Clearly the game plan was to pack it in inside and dare Iona to beat us from the outside and that they did...time after time after time after time. The biggest weakness I see with this team and what needs the most work is DEFENSE. Iona shot 60% from beyond the arc...ouch!

- Logan continues to play well and is really starting to come into his own. Not sure how the presence of Black will effect his game but I got a feeling that Black with his penetration will create a lot of opportunities for Logan. Ambrose also playing well for the most part, still makes stupid mistakes like trying to drive into 3 guys while Luke is standing there begging for the ball but overall I like his effort.

- 11 to's, even with Iona pressing us they turned it over only 11 times, this in an improvement. Iati will be a capable backup at point to spell Black, but Mike should probably be ready to go about 35 minutes a game.

Overall, could have gone worse, I mean the Cornell game compared to this was BRUTAL. This team has a ton of work to do though, this OOC record is gonna look horrendous. This wouldn't be a post game post if I didn't bitch. Brown WAY over scheduled. He had to have known that this team being young would need a lot of work, I'm not sure how much 20 point beat downs repeatedly help this team.

And still...loses keep mounting. The crowd was brutal today, people are running for the hills. Sad

I think the fact that the holiday is approaching..so students are gone for the most part..and the NCAA Runner-Up was playing about 5 miles away..might have played a part..though our record certainly doesn't help.

put some thoughts up on PAGN- watching for the first time realized the Will Brown dilemma without Black- death by turnovers or defense. And I think he makes the right choice, not to mention it's more enjoyable to watch good offensive basketball. I hope once Black is back, we see more Russell Moore, because we need someone out there who can stop the ball.

put some thoughts up on PAGN- watching for the first time realized the Will Brown dilemma without Black- death by turnovers or defense. And I think he makes the right choice, not to mention it's more enjoyable to watch good offensive basketball. I hope once Black is back, we see more Russell Moore, because we need someone out there who can stop the ball.

I would agree with this...probably why I was upset after the American game and not so much after this one. At least that was half decent basketball to watch, this team again shot close to 50% from the field, 3 point shooting was also good.

Perimeter D is pretty bad, wonder if more Moore can help with that. Having a 5'6 guy guarding the opposing PG isn't ideal.

As for Iati's toughness, love that he plays hard, I think we'll just be better when we need him for 5-10 min a game not 25-30. Hopefully we pick up at least one W over the tournament, even two would be a heist. Hopefully Black will get some run, along with the bench so we don't run our guys into the ground after 3 days of games

Archived