UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ Siena

Somewhat OT, but since I haven't been to any games yet this year, maybe a fellow poster can help me out with a couple questions.

1. Is Theo Hatcher healthy to play? Why haven't we seen much of him (if at all)?

2. Any update on Fran Urli? Is he going to be red-shirted this year so that he can play next year as a fifth-year senior (or as a first-year graduate student)?

Many thanks in advance!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhat OT, but since I haven't been to any games yet this year, maybe a fellow poster can help me out with a couple questions.

1. Is Theo Hatcher healthy to play? Why haven't we seen much of him (if at all)?

2. Any update on Fran Urli? Is he going to be red-shirted this year so that he can play next year as a fifth-year senior (or as a first-year graduate student)?

Many thanks in advance!

2. "With forward Fran Urli likely lost for the season after left hip surgery -- he can't even begin running until after the new year -- Tim Ambrose is the only senior who will suit up." -- Mark McGuire, 11/9/10: http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/The-team-UAlbany-cannot-be-804300.php

Haven't heard anything about the redshirt possibility, but don't they have to decide and declare that they are exercising this option by a certain point (i.e. early in the season)?

Many thanks in advance!

1. I'm only guessing, but Thatcher probably isn't playing because he's new to the team (JUCO transfer) as opposed to a health issue. I didn't listen to the game but the stats say he only played one minute at Fairleigh Dickinson (which was a slaughter by UA). Maybe he will work his way into the rotation later in the season or he could sit on the bench until next year. Either way, my guess is that the not playing is related to performance and/or rotation issues, not health.

Haven't heard anything about the redshirt possibility, but don't they have to decide and declare that they are exercising this option by a certain point (i.e. early in the season)?

No, they have to decide before he plays in 20% of the team's schedule (about 7 games). The date, or games he doesn't play, have nothing to do with it.

No, they have to decide before he plays in 20% of the team's schedule (about 7 games). The date, or games he doesn't play, have nothing to do with it.

Interesting...I had no idea. Thanks for the info! I wonder why Abreu declared his medical redshirt immediately then - is there any advantage to declaring redshirt early in the season?

Many thanks in advance!

As we've already have more players than scholis for next year, I'd be shocked to see Urli return. And Hatcher just isn't in the rotation- so again, unlikely we'd hang onto him for an extra year.

Many thanks in advance!

As we've already have more players than scholis for next year, I'd be shocked to see Urli return. And Hatcher just isn't in the rotation- so again, unlikely we'd hang onto him for an extra year.

Doc, are you saying UA would release Hatcher after this year? (Sorry, I'm not familiar with how the scholarships work, other then the fact that they pay for everything!)

I took Doc's comment to mean Urli for another year, not Hatcher.

It'll be tough for Hatcher to find minutes. Metcalf and Lindfors have played pretty well off the bench. If/when Puk takes a few games off it might be a chance for Hatcher.

Saw Hatcher and Black today near the Campus Center while going to get lunch. Wished those two good luck on Saturday and told em, "Ya better beat those Saints" with a big grin.

First time speaking to any of our athletes...although I've seen a few of them around and Hatcher is actually in my 11am class.

I read the same as you...and I think Doc is WAY out of line and that it was a highly speculative and inappropriate comment.

These are kids you are talking about.

Dane96:

I love the possibilities that Hatcher brings to the table (and as I've posted, his awesome name)and I'd love to see him crack the rotation.

Here was my line of thought: We are bringing in 3 scholarship players in the incoming class, so it seems highly likely that the two seniors, Ambrose and Urli, would be two of the open scholarships. As for Hatcher, I was responding specifically to the idea of red-shirting Hatcher in order that he would gain an additional year of eligibility. I was not suggesting that he will be released from his scholarship or promoting that action, I was just stating that it would be surprising if Will Brown was looking to extend another eligibility with a red-shirt for a player who is not currently in the rotation, especially considering the youth and depth in front of him at the moment. On top of that, if I'm calculating the scholi matrix correctly, extending Hatcher for an additional year would also mean that we would bring in zero new recruits from the class of 2012, another highly improbably situation. Hope that clarified what I was trying to say.

Archived