UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs. Mount Saint Mary's

MRSGDG

We're playing real well now. It would be nice to get 2 out of the next 3 to get to 8 non conference wins, which I believe ties a school record from 2 yrs ago. I'm real interested to see how this team matches up in the america east come conference play. Tonight we dominated the boards. Isn't it nice having 3 players avg almost 15 pts each a gane? Devlin is a solid player and is still only a freshman.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was, quite frankly, disgusted with Lindfors. He has sat out two of the three previous games and then he goes in and starts WALKING on defense and offense. Not an ounce of enthusiasm or work ethic. He didn't even box out! He commits a stupid, blatant foul and then whines about it being called. Pretty much the same crappy performance in the second half. He was lucky to see garbage time with the way he was acting.

Maybe I'm being too hard on the kid, but his attitude was appauling.

I really REALLY would like to see more of Tartt and less of Iati.

Tartt looked a little rusty, but still played well. It made me think how keeping kids on the bench kind of hurts their ability to develop as players. It's too bad the reserve members of the squad can't act as a JV-type team and scrimmage players from other teams.

I got really nervous when I saw Iati check in during the media time-out when we were up 13-3. Not sure it's a coincidence that the lead shrunk after that.

...Other Post-Game Thoughts:

It seems like Watts has replaced Iati as back-up PG. One thing I've noticed about him is that is very hesitant to drive to the basket, unlike Black and Ambrose. Also, his shot is kind of ugly, but he did make a nice FG towards the end of the game.

Another thing I noticed in this game is that on multiple occasions, Logan drove into the paint, picked up his dribble, and then looked desperately to pass it out instead of trying to create a shot. Not a great habit to pick up - there's no where to go!

Speaking of paint players, I thought Blake Metcalf did a great job down low. He had a couple of really nice post moves against his defender. His defender, coincidentally, played the weirdest man defense I have ever seen. He was rocking on his hips and jutting his midsection into the back of Blake while leaning away with his upper body. It was very, very strange looking!

Great performances by Ambrose and Black! I liked their intensity and how they pushed the ball up the floor quickly. Tim's energy got the best of him a few times when he made some passing mistakes, but the rest of his game was great so all is forgiven. Speaking of passing, MSM were very good passers. Their passes were crisp, on-target, and really fooled our defense at the beginning.

Also a good job by Devlin. I'm always surprised to see that he doesn't have more points because he seems like he is contributing a lot during the game.

The match-up zone worked well again. In the second half, MSM got quite a few dunks on offense, but that might have been after we switched to man defense.

Also, great to note that the starting five went 11 of 12 from the line (Devlin, Logan, and Mike Black shot 100%). Unfortunately, the bench was 0 for 4, including Billy Allen's two misses. I thought he was the best free throw shooter?!

As others have mentioned I'm impressed with the way Metcalf has improved since his freshman year. Showed some nice moves down low, grabbed some tough rebounds and in general helped punish a team for putting a smaller player on him. Something we haven't been able to do in the past with out bigger players.

Really glad to see Tim Ambrose having this kind of year and getting some recognition (the good kind.) Enjoyed the way he and Mike Black shared the ball on that one fast break. That's basketball.

Watts seems a little more confident in every game. He does seem to rush his shot a bit. Surprising to me for a guy his size that he seems preoccupied with getting his shot blocked.

Not sure how that Trice kid (31) for MSM doesn't start for them. He's a nice player.

No suspense tonight but fine by me.

As others have mentioned I'm impressed with the way Metcalf has improved since his freshman year. Showed some nice moves down low, grabbed some tough rebounds and in general helped punish a team for putting a smaller player on him. Something we haven't been able to do in the past with out bigger players.

Really glad to see Tim Ambrose having this kind of year and getting some recognition (the good kind.) Enjoyed the way he and Mike Black shared the ball on that one fast break. That's basketball.

Watts seems a little more confident in every game. He does seem to rush his shot a bit. Surprising to me for a guy his size that he seems preoccupied with getting his shot blocked.

Not sure how that Trice kid (31) for MSM doesn't start for them. He's a nice player.

Nice win...its been a while since we've been up 25 on anyone!!!

I hope the coaching staff is working with Blake on his FT's...it should be near number one on the to-dos/priority list...with his continuing improvement in mobility down low his FT opptys are just gonna keep growing...while it may be a mechanical issue...it could also be mental...I love this kid...chemistry between him and Will is reminiscent of the relationship CB had with Messrs Lillis and B. Wilson...did anyone catch the little interaction between CB and Blake at the start of the first to in the second half...CB did not like the energy level and he pulled Blake aside and told him to talk to the team....which he did and they then went on a nice run...another strong effort defensively and on the glass for Mr. Puk as well...keep it up guys...I see good things ahead as we move toward the conference portion of the schedule

Nice win...its been a while since we've been up 25 on anyone!!!

I hope the coaching staff is working with Blake on his FT's...it should be near number one on the to-dos/priority list...with his continuing improvement in mobility down low his FT opptys are just gonna keep growing...while it may be a mechanical issue...it could also be mental...I love this kid...chemistry between him and Will is reminiscent of the relationship CB had with Messrs Lillis and B. Wilson...did anyone catch the little interaction between CB and Blake at the start of the first to in the second half...CB did not like the energy level and he pulled Blake aside and told him to talk to the team....which he did and they then went on a nice run...another strong effort defensively and on the glass for Mr. Puk as well...keep it up guys...I see good things ahead as we move toward the conference portion of the schedule

Let's not forget UA did win against FDU by 26 (72-46) on Nov 20th. It's been great to see our team with this kind of offense!

I think a clear difference between our offense this year and the debacle that was our offense last year is the level of confidence CB has in the guys on the court. I loved hearing CB yell "Push it" after a defensive board and watching the big three take turns having their way with the defense. I'd like to see more of blake, but at the same time I'm not sure its a good idea. He plays with great energy that really compliments our quick guards, just not sure if anyone can maintain that kind of intensity for much more than he does currently.

I'm gonna say it again, I couldn't be happier for Tim, he's playing great, and feeling great too. He fires the team up at the right times and calms everyone down when things get crazy. That's not to say Logan and Blake were bad selections for captains, but Tim is playing and acting like he got snubbed, like he's got something to prove, and its great. Someone mentioned it already but one of the most underrated minute moments of the season was when Tim gave it up to mike for that easy 2 on 1 transition basket. (He had another nice outlet pass to logan that ultimately should have been either a slam or intentional foul).

Last year everyone played their age or younger it seemed. I don't mean to call out the upperclassmen of the past, but there clearly was no leadership. Now we've got a senior who's turning in a career year, 2 soph's who are captains (deservedly so), and our freshmen/sophs are improving game to game instead of year over year. Luke devlin does NOT play like a freshmen. Iati (black too obviously) plays more mature, more smart basketball than any point I've seen in my short time following UA...and they have YEARS to build upon.

Keep working.

Now that the optimism is building...I'll put it out there, I think we can beat Xavier. I'm not necessarily saying we will (that's why they play the games), but we CAN.

It'll be tough on the road (last I checked X's home win streak was at 28 games), but our little three creates a match up problem for a majority of teams we play. If Puk and/or Blake step-up it up I see no reason why this can't be a competitive game. With the exception of their 7 footer (who's numbers are pretty underwhelming) we actually have a size advantage. I think we've got plenty of depth and interchangeability of our bigs, that even though I doubt CB will go this route, we could go for an all our hack D in zone and make their bigs beat us at the line. They apparently can't shoot the 3 (27%) so if our guards can keep their guys in front of them should we go to man we should be alright.

It is early and I do realize we have Colgate before Xavier, but I'd like to think we can/should roll over an 0-9 patriot league team. Everything I've said is all speculative and based on a cursory look at their roster and schedule, but I felt it was an appropriate time to comment coming off an impressive win.

Agreed, this team is playing some fine basketball. So where are the fans? I know the students are gone, but where's the "halo effect" from a great win against S****. You'd think the local alums would all come out to continue their support of an exciting team. If I recall correctly attendance for both CCSU and MSM was under 2000.

Go figure?

Attendance didn't drop over night and it will take W's to pick back up. We were on a gradual decline, I suspect the opposite will continue to happen if we continue winning.

Saturday's attendance was 1700 with no students on campus, would have been close to 2k if not over if they were there. I suspect it will continue climbing.

Archived