UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting

I'm not sure how the scholarship issue plays out. I would feel better about next year if we had another big guy coming in. If not, we'll be counting a lot on the health of two guys, Devlin and Puk, who were banged up this year. It's really the only achilies heel I see for this team next year.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if bringing in a big as a 'walk-on' (DI scholarship quality) next year might not be as difficult as it would first seem. While they wouldn't get a scholarship their first year..there are plenty of scholarships (potentially) available after the 2012 season. Aronhalt, Black, Guerrier, Iati, Metcalf and Suero will all be graduating..assuming everything goes as planned. Bruxvoort and Lassen look like the only ones set at this point to receive a scholarship in 2013. Maybe the realistic chance of decent playing time as a freshman is more appealing than a scholarship for that first year? Would be even 'easier' if a player was from NYS..meaning in-state tuition.

I agree with Dane Pound that another big seems to be the main (only?) serious missing piece.

I think if they are recruiting a BIG they are recruiting a BIG to play immediately - most walk on candidates wouldn't meet that criteria.

If Luke bounces back and Puk improves (he had no off season last year) we might get through with what we have now.

I think if they are recruiting a BIG they are recruiting a BIG to play immediately - most walk on candidates wouldn't meet that criteria.

If Luke bounces back and Puk improves (he had no off season last year) we might get through with what we have now.

It was mostly me thinking out loud. That maybe '3 scholarship years + decent playing time freshman year' isn't too much less appealing than '4 scholarship years + little/no playing time freshman year'..especially if you're paying in-state tuition that first year. I've never been recruited as a DI athlete, though..so I could be way off.

I'm not picturing someone who would be competing for a starting job right off the bat..just some more quality depth. Even if both Puk and Devlin come back at full health..and that's certainly a big enough if..with just 3 people on the roster taller than 6'5", even a little foul trouble could cause difficulties. Guerrier and Rowley both rebound well for their size..but it's tough to ask them to match-up against guys 3, 4 or 5 inches taller than them on a regular basis.

Edited by Phoenix

• 3 weeks later...

33 D.J. Evans G 5-9 160 So. Brandon, MS (Brandon HS)

2011-12_emcc_mhoops_team(web).jpg

Evans, second-team NJCAA All-American, a former Jackson All-Metro selection from Brandon High School, averaged a team-leading 15.6 points, 4.1 assists and 1.7 steals per game for the 23-6 EMCC Lions this past season. The 5-foot-9 playmaker shot 41 percent overall from the field, 37 percent from three-point range and 71 percent from the free-throw line this past year as a sophomore. As a 56-game starter during his two seasons in Scooba, Evans compiled per-game averages of 14.3 points, 4.1 assists, 2.9 rebounds and 1.6 steals during his two seasons as an EMCC Lion.

From Scooba (MS) to the scoobies. Scooba is about seven blocks long and six blocks wide.

East Miss. CC was 11-1 in their conference and won the NJCAA regional last year. Their football team was NJCAA national champion.

A bit perplexed by this signing? (if indeed he has signed?) We lose a couple 6'2"-6'4" ish small forwards/guards and we sign a playmaker (point), who will play behind Mike Black and then have only one year of eligibility. We seem pretty deep @ point with Gibson coming along and Iati, Hooley and Watts all adequate short term.

A bit perplexed by this signing? (if indeed he has signed?) We lose a couple 6'2"-6'4" ish small forwards/guards and we sign a playmaker (point), who will play behind Mike Black and then have only one year of eligibility. We seem pretty deep @ point with Gibson coming along and Iati, Hooley and Watts all adequate short term.

I thought that also but I guess Mike Black would move to SG next year at least some of the time. Also with Paige playing next year we have quite a few of those 6'4-6'5 type players - Hooley, Watts, Paige, Guerrier with another one possible coming in.

I'm hoping Evans is a Guerrier-quality player.