UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

VERMONT

Doc

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even with the loss last night this team has done enough to get noticed by the local paper.

A rivalry game shouldn't be buried on page 4 and the lead story shouldn't be about a classless basketball coach over 1,000 miles away. RPI hockey should get top billing in today's paper with a nice win over the #1 team in the country.

This team has to be hot shooting from outside to beat better teams in the AE. The only way I can see around that is a Mike Black takeover (and perhaps some more Watts).

The basketball gods taunted the PAGN, thinking we could jump into 3rd place:

http://pagn.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/cold-danes-cant-run-with-vermont/

Also, now, the next two games are the biggest stretch of the season. A toss up on the road and a revenge game against Hartford. Lessgo.

I made the trip to SEFCU and will give you my $.02 Watts is going to be a very good AE player. Logan needs to develop an interior game and UA bigs need to improve. Black was a no show for the game but I like him too. That said Lonergan took that game wire to wire and wasn't in trouble at any point. He has a deep bench and when they run thier sets and play D like that they can beat anyone in the AE. Albany is a young team but so is UVM - many times they had 3 Freshmen,1 Soph and 1 Sr. on the floor. I see these two teams going head to head for a few more years. It will get interesting when Lonergan leaves, he isn't long for us anymore.

I agree with jruggs that Vermont and UA will be the two best teams in the AE over the next couple of years. I think Vermont is already there and will beat Maine for AE title. I thought UA played them even in all aspects of Saturdays game EXCEPT for shooting. That is of course a big "except" and is why Vermont won and is why they are still ahead of us overall. But we were very competive with the best team in the league.

I do not know if it was Vermont's defense or UA cold shooting, but if UA shoots a respectable percentage, I think we win that game. And of course that is a BIG IF and will determine how far we can advance in the standings and if we can do any damage in the tournament.

So I am staying optimistic, I have seen great strides from this years team---better defense, inproved rebounding, greatly improved ball handling and passing and much lower turnovers; and even though they seem to shoot poorly and cannot finish at times, I see much improved offensive attack and flow. If we can find a way to NOT miss so many lay-ups and five foot jumpers and floaters and be a little more consistent from the three and fowl line and avoid these long COLD SPELLS, we still can be a force this year. If the lid stays on the basket as it seems like it has been for UA a lot, than it is wait to next year.

Archived