UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium: Architecture, Engineering, and Design AWARDED!

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Update 5/19 on the Office of Facilities Management page -

what last year said:

Athletic Fields Repair / Improvement

Repair and upgrade track facility, relocate

football facility. Design to start summer

Athletics

Est. Start: Summer 2010

Est. End: Fall 2013

Dave LaComb 442-3400

now says

Athletics

Est. Start: Fall-11

Est. End: Spring-13

Dave LaComb 442-3426

also there's no more caveat re budget uncertainties

Update 5/19 on the Office of Facilities Management page -

what last year said:

Athletics

Est. Start: Summer 2010

Est. End: Fall 2013

Dave LaComb 442-3400

now says

Athletics

Est. Start: Fall-11

Est. End: Spring-13

Dave LaComb 442-3426

also there's no more caveat re budget uncertainties

I think that the big news here is that Dave LaComb changed his phone number.

Sorry, it's just that I have been away for so long, I didn't know where to jump back in.

I'm pretty sure it also went from "Site Work" to "Academic Projects", but I'm not sure if that was a May update or it happened before.

The "Academic Projects" appear to be those further along though.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the following reply to my inquires from Mr. Coe...

"Thanks for the e-mail. Always great to hear from you and I’m glad that you are interested in contributing to our stadium and track complex. Our web site is undergoing some significant changes and improvements over the next few weeks and I apologize that your letter was received prior to the updates being completed. Thank you for pointing that out."

My prediction is that as they start getting close to the season, the website with the new info will go live and hopefully spur new interest in the program.

This sounds pretty encouraging; but what the heck is everyone afraid of in that department? Why can't someone committ to something--Coe only "predicts" an announcement soon??

If I'm reading your post correctly, Coe didn't predict anything, I predicted the last proposition.

I've been wrong plenty of times/been told plenty of times things that didn't happen so yeh, I'll probably be left standing there with egg on my face again but oh well.

Hope dies last!

I keep thinking that Clickclack is going to enjoy the off-season, and let us all catch up on some outdoor activities, but for these diehards being a UA fan is a year-round commitment. That said, here are a few contributions from me on UA athletics:

Athletic facilities improvements:

1) The AED is showing spending against is on Open Book through the Office of the State Comptroller's website: D0A3046

2) I finally got around to completing my FOIL request for the contract.

-My bank sent the university a check just today to pay for the request (I could have gotten the money to them faster if I still used a checkbook.)

-UA apparently does not keep electronic copies of its contracts (a bit disappointing considering the advanced technological/heightened ecological society we live in.)

-Total cost was $14.50 and I will be creating a PDF document from it as soon as it is received. I don't know enough about common usage laws/public domain to know if I can post it somewhere, but if any of you want to see the documents, I can likely e-mail them.

3) I ran into one of the coaches at a local event recently, and had a great conversation about UA and the state of the program. Regarding facility improvements:

-I was told by the coach (non-football) that groundbreaking would be done at the end of the football season. That conflicts a little with the "schedule" in this thread, and with construction bidding still due, I can't see it happening, but it was good to hear that the project was being discussed in the athletic department.

-I was also told that the plan is for an $11 million rehabilitation of the track facilities (current site) that would allow us to host; sounded like what we have heard, but again, it was good to hear it from a member of the staff.

-Finally, I was told of plans to put a new turf field next to the current softball field that would be specifically for the students, and not the student-athletes. I didn't remember hearing this before.

Miscellaneous athletics (same conversation):

1) When UA went looking for a new men's soccer coach there were 110 applicants.

2) When UA went looking for a new women's basketball coach there were 140 applicants.

Even if we get disappointed with the rate of progress, UA is still attracting quality applicants.

That's it for me, for now...

I keep thinking that Clickclack is going to enjoy the off-season, and let us all catch up on some outdoor activities, but for these diehards being a UA fan is a year-round commitment. That said, here are a few contributions from me on UA athletics:

Athletic facilities improvements:

1) The AED is showing spending against is on Open Book through the Office of the State Comptroller's website: D0A3046

2) I finally got around to completing my FOIL request for the contract.

-My bank sent the university a check just today to pay for the request (I could have gotten the money to them faster if I still used a checkbook.)

-UA apparently does not keep electronic copies of its contracts (a bit disappointing considering the advanced technological/heightened ecological society we live in.)

-Total cost was $14.50 and I will be creating a PDF document from it as soon as it is received. I don't know enough about common usage laws/public domain to know if I can post it somewhere, but if any of you want to see the documents, I can likely e-mail them.

3) I ran into one of the coaches at a local event recently, and had a great conversation about UA and the state of the program. Regarding facility improvements:

-I was told by the coach (non-football) that groundbreaking would be done at the end of the football season. That conflicts a little with the "schedule" in this thread, and with construction bidding still due, I can't see it happening, but it was good to hear that the project was being discussed in the athletic department.

-I was also told that the plan is for an $11 million rehabilitation of the track facilities (current site) that would allow us to host; sounded like what we have heard, but again, it was good to hear it from a member of the staff.

-Finally, I was told of plans to put a new turf field next to the current softball field that would be specifically for the students, and not the student-athletes. I didn't remember hearing this before.

Miscellaneous athletics (same conversation):

1) When UA went looking for a new men's soccer coach there were 110 applicants.

2) When UA went looking for a new women's basketball coach there were 140 applicants.

Even if we get disappointed with the rate of progress, UA is still attracting quality applicants.

That's it for me, for now...

I can rip the University for some things...but trust me, they keep electronic copies of docs. Simply put, electronic copies are never, ever, ever, given to FOIA, FOIL, etc. requestors in NY. Not sure why...but they aren't...in most, if not all, States.

Hmmmm...as for the rest: 1) The turf field for students I think was in the old Master Plan. Could be wrong. 2) The 11 million for the track facility, if it is separate from football like we heard has got to be WAY WAY WAY off. I would guess in the neighborhood of a few million to 5 million at the very best.

3) If it is one facility...track and football...I will be HIGHLY disappointed.

"Groundbreaking" might be removal of the bleachers and some of the fencing, and cutting of trees around Varsity Field (soccer), which presumably could be done by University personnel. OFM says work to start 'Fall-11'; last soccer home game scheduled is Oct. 29 unless we host conference tournaments.

Don't remember a turf field for students; Project 2010 had a building for student recreation, possibly with an indoor track.

Yes, I thought the T&F rebuild was only about $4-5 million

Archived