UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

america east tournament

UA'08

Looks like the championship match up will be Stony Brook @ Boston.

Anyone have a preference to whom they'd like to see represent the AE in the NCAA tourney?

I'm just happy that we have a lacrosse game to go to at noon on Saturday instead of watching the AE Championship. My very slight preference is for Boston U only because I think they'd represent the conference better and that on the way out of MSG, I remember thinking that I hoped Boston U would win the tournament. I liked that John Holland and to a lesser extent, Jake O'Brien stuck with the program after the coaching change. On the other hand, I don't have the Stony Brook hatred that many of this forum do.

I save my hatred for only one foe. So, now that I have changed the subject, how annoying is that Cap Comm commercial where the woman shrieks that her son got into Siena?

I would like to publicly express my deep regrets and heartfelt apologies to Cap Comm. Perhaps it is a statement about the ineffectiveness of the marketing, but it has been pointed out to me that the commercial in question is a Sunmark commercial. Now, for the benefit of Bob87, here it is:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Northeastern left the America East has the conference ever looked for that 10th member? I've also asked this question before do schools sign contracts with conferences? If so how long of a contract did Albany sign with the conference?

I assume all-sport conference membership is open-ended - you stay unless you want to leave, and pay exit fees/penalties if you don't give enough notice, or unless you don't pay dues or follow conference rules, when you theoretically could get thrown out. Contracts exist for single-sport affiliates; Albany is due to announce either renewal or ending of the NEC football contract this year, I think.

I'm not sure what advantage there is to getting more members in a stable, one-bid conference without football. Adding schools means fewer out-of-conference games, and splitting tournament money more ways. Any school that we'd think would be an asset is probably looking higher. Except maybe for Central Conn. - and I think Hartford may not want such a close neighbor moving into our conference - do you have any candidates?

If/when we or Stony Brook goes to the CAA, then would be time to figure out who else to invite - and if we go then it's not our problem.

Looks like the championship match up will be Stony Brook @ Boston.

Anyone have a preference to whom they'd like to see represent the AE in the NCAA tourney?

I'm just happy that we have a lacrosse game to go to at noon on Saturday instead of watching the AE Championship. My very slight preference is for Boston U only because I think they'd represent the conference better and that on the way out of MSG, I remember thinking that I hoped Boston U would win the tournament. I liked that John Holland and to a lesser extent, Jake O'Brien stuck with the program after the coaching change. On the other hand, I don't have the Stony Brook hatred that many of this forum do.

I save my hatred for only one foe. So, now that I have changed the subject, how annoying is that Cap Comm commercial where the woman shrieks that her son got into Siena?

I would like to publicly express my deep regrets and heartfelt apologies to Cap Comm. Perhaps it is a statement about the ineffectiveness of the marketing, but it has been pointed out to me that the commercial in question is a Sunmark commercial. Now, for the benefit of Bob87, here it is:

LUL...wut? BWAHAHAHAH!

I assume all-sport conference membership is open-ended - you stay unless you want to leave, and pay exit fees/penalties if you don't give enough notice, or unless you don't pay dues or follow conference rules, when you theoretically could get thrown out. Contracts exist for single-sport affiliates; Albany is due to announce either renewal or ending of the NEC football contract this year, I think.

I'm not sure what advantage there is to getting more members in a stable, one-bid conference without football. Adding schools means fewer out-of-conference games, and splitting tournament money more ways. Any school that we'd think would be an asset is probably looking higher. Except maybe for Central Conn. - and I think Hartford may not want such a close neighbor moving into our conference - do you have any candidates?

If/when we or Stony Brook goes to the CAA, then would be time to figure out who else to invite - and if we go then it's not our problem.

"Rogue" Island or UMASS would fit the theme of New England public universities, but the AE would probably be viewed as a step down from their perspectives.

What about NJIT? As a public university from New Jersey, with a strong academic reputation, NJIT might be a good fit for our 10th member. See Wikipedia, NJIT, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Institute_of_Technology.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the clarification. I have no idea who a good candidate would be. I was just wondering. Is football going to stay or is there really going to be that rumored realignment.

"Rogue" Island or UMASS would fit the theme of New England public universities, but the AE would probably be viewed as a step down from their perspectives.

What about NJIT? As a public university from New Jersey, with a strong academic reputation, NJIT might be a good fit for our 10th member. See Wikipedia, NJIT, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Institute_of_Technology.

Thoughts?

They'd be the smallest public in the league. And what do they bring to the table athletically? No football, no lacrosse, club ice hockey, basketball still getting its feet wet. They do have men's and women's fencing, tho.

What's the point of adding schools just to have more teams?

UA08, I'd guess football reups with the NEC, but I hope for a shorter term so we can leave if there's an opening/invite to a better league.

Thoughts?

They'd be the smallest public in the league. And what do they bring to the table athletically? No football, no lacrosse, club ice hockey, basketball still getting its feet wet. They do have men's and women's fencing, tho.

What's the point of adding schools just to have more teams?

UA08, I'd guess football reups with the NEC, but I hope for a shorter term so we can leave if there's an opening/invite to a better league.

How long was the previous contract with NEC?

The last extension was a four-year deal thru the 2010 season. Initially agreed to a three-year commitment when they joined the conference in 1999 and extended the contract through 2006 in May, 2002. Seems we're still in the NEC for 2011 but I don't remember hearing about another extension.

Archived