UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

State senate passes UB2020

UAalum72

Push on for SUNY deal in yesterday's T-U (why do stories like this have to wait a day before they're online?) rehashes much of what we've known here for two years.

Meanwhile the T-U works Kegs&Eggs into a story on Albany on the list of best cities to get high, the Daily Beast ranking the city 7th based on marijuana usage surveys, arrests, and an assessment of 'pot culture'.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its really unbelievable that these guys are now finally waking up.

The only thing I can think that has actually spurred this is the possibility of UB2020 actually passing the Assembly.

Too bad its too late.

Buffalo has a much better and much stronger plan laid out then any of the other 4 SUNY centers. They make UA leadership look silly.

Wow talk about a legislative work around.

I'm glad we're in the conversation. Now its time for the UA Administration to put their money where their mouth is and submit a detailed plan.

BTW - this has to be a "test-case". The money $35m per year isn't chump change, but its not game changing money either.

Wow talk about a legislative work around.

I'm glad we're in the conversation. Now its time for the UA Administration to put their money where their mouth is and submit a detailed plan.

BTW - this has to be a "test-case". The money $35m per year isn't chump change, but its not game changing money either.

My biggest fear and perhaps its unfounded is that we'll fall flat on our face and forever be left behind. We simply must answer this call with a clear and concise vision for our future.

It's interesting that they've capped each school with a max of $35mil. It's almost as if they want to see the detailed long term plan while offering some financial incentive now.

This is great news. This is SUNY and New York reaffirming the 4 University Center model.

UA needs to perform now but we got a reprieve from the hangman's noose. I was really afraid Cuomo would pull a Spitzet and hand the keys to the castle to Buffalo and Stony Brook.

This is great news. This is SUNY and New York reaffirming the 4 University Center model.

UA needs to perform now but we got a reprieve from the hangman's noose. I was really afraid Cuomo would pull a Spitzet and hand the keys to the castle to Buffalo and Stony Brook.

DITTO

I'm told that Albany's plan is far more comprehensive than Buffalo's.

Come again?

Can you offer any detail? As a student I know there were a number of e-mails going around in the fall regarding the school undergoing a strategic process. Are you referring to the outcome of that process?

Come again?

Can you offer any detail? As a student I know there were a number of e-mails going around in the fall regarding the school undergoing a strategic process. Are you referring to the outcome of that process?

Agreed. If UA had a plan larger than UB2020, it would need to have been done in complete secrecy. UB2020 was developed over many years with phases of unveiling, complemented by student and community input. I can't believe UA could have developed something larger than a $5B physical plan, with 10K enrollment growth and complete overhauls of many campus operations and academic focuses, over many years and without campus input.

As it is, this is just priming the pump before the real battles begin, once again. We all know $35M does not buy you much as far as facilities. This Buffalo News story has much more information on what is really going on. UB was the only SUNY in on this new mini-plan until today, apparently, and Cuomo won't commit to the schools who will be at the up-coming summit.

Come again?

Agreed. If UA had a plan larger than UB2020, it would need to have been done in complete secrecy. UB2020 was developed over many years with phases of unveiling, complemented by student and community input. I can't believe UA could have developed something larger than a $5B physical plan, with 10K enrollment growth and complete overhauls of many campus operations and academic focuses, over many years and without campus input.

As it is, this is just priming the pump before the real battles begin, once again. We all know $35M does not buy you much as far as facilities. This Buffalo News story has much more information on what is really going on. UB was the only SUNY in on this new mini-plan until today, apparently, and Cuomo won't commit to the schools who will be at the up-coming summit.

Every time I read a story like this I simply shake my head. UB continues to try and break away instead of getting the other three flagships behind them in their efforts to get what they want.

IMO, to be clear as possible, UB is hell-bent on establishing themselves as the ONLY flagship and doesn't care how many bodies it leaves in it's wake. By getting these benefits before any other flagship campus they will continue to put distance between themselves and in a self fulfilling prophecy say...see, we deserve more because we are the biggest, the best etc.

IMO, they could get EVERY THING they want by simply joining hands with their other three brethren and get this done. Much more muscle can would be behind getting the changes they want instead of just Western NY. In the end, all four campuses would be free to chart their own course. UB's plan is facing an uphill battle because not only do they have to now face the likes of UUP but they also are pissing off the other 3 SUNY centers and the political muscle behind them.

Every time I read a story like this I simply shake my head. UB continues to try and break away instead of getting the other three flagships behind them in their efforts to get what they want.

IMO, to be clear as possible, UB is hell-bent on establishing themselves as the ONLY flagship and doesn't care how many bodies it leaves in it's wake. By getting these benefits before any other flagship campus they will continue to put distance between themselves and in a self fulfilling prophecy say...see, we deserve more because we are the biggest, the best etc.

IMO, they could get EVERY THING they want by simply joining hands with their other three brethren and get this done. Much more muscle can would be behind getting the changes they want instead of just Western NY. In the end, all four campuses would be free to chart their own course. UB's plan is facing an uphill battle because not only do they have to now face the likes of UUP but they also are pissing off the other 3 SUNY centers and the political muscle behind them.

I can't argue with your first 2 points, but the key component is political strength. UB's advocates (and to a lesser extent SBU's), are proactive, while UA's advocates are reactive (as many prior posts have pointed out). You see UB's local delegation trying multiple avenues, with Grisanti's unilateral Senate UB2020 proposal, and Peoples-Stokes' SUNY-wide 5.5% tuition hike bill now somewhere in the Assembly. If anything is done, it will likely meet in-between.

There have also been mixed messages from the top, with everyone hand-in-hand for this relatively minor announcement (which is not a reform, just a one-shot funding opportunity), while a few weeks ago a Cuomo official said the fewer the number of SUNY's 64 schools seeking reforms, the easier it may be to get reforms through. We saw a full-SUNY reform bill fail last year, so there is no certainty that everything can be done with that tactic. If it can finally happen with the upcoming summit, great, though we don't even know who will be at the table.

Archived