UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

State senate passes UB2020

UAalum72

Campus spokesman Karl Luntta explained that UAlbany wants to develop Biomedical and Information Innovation Research Plaza, and revitalize the Alumni Quad/Midtown area located east of the main campus. Those plans were outlined in April during a meeting of campus and business leaders.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/UAlbany-on-a-level-playing-field-1361950.php

I believe the plan also includes a projected increase in enrollment.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In light of what alum73 said, I've been reading everything I could find on the UA site as well as going through all e-mails from Pres. Philip regarding the strategic planning process that started back in '09.

It appears to me we might be playing coy again and are in fact further along in the said planning process then I had anticipated. For whatever reason UA seems to prefer operating quietly instead of out there in front of the whole world like UB. UB made a ton of noise about 2020 but are now forced to scale it back, how far back remains to be seen but it still appears they overestimated what the state could offer and what they could realistically achieve. Two different approaches, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Agreed. Plus, Philip is no dummy....and he has navigated political waters before. I would think he will leverage our experience and success with Nanotech to gain traction. In short, he will point to the success of that program, combined with the budding Cancer Research Center...and likely some partnership with Albany Med, and say "look...when given seed money we succeeded. Let us do it again, in another field."

I have a positive attitude on this particular issue/action of the University leadership.

Stadium issue...whole other story, and something that frankly I think President Philip didnt really have a solid chance at cleaning up since he came in way late to the game.

I would guess sometimes we are paying people to sit around. It's the name of the game. For example, I paid my lobbyists close to 3 million over the past 2 years...and sometimes get a combined 40 hours of actual work a month. However, we need some serious work next week for one account...so the bat phone rang at that particular lobbyist's office...and he is setting up meetings.

The nature of the beast.

I would guess sometimes we are paying people to sit around. It's the name of the game. For example, I paid my lobbyists close to 3 million over the past 2 years...and sometimes get a combined 40 hours of actual work a month. However, we need some serious work next week for one account...so the bat phone rang at that particular lobbyist's office...and he is setting up meetings.

The nature of the beast.

But there's a difference between essentially keeping an external firm on retainer/on call for lobbying specific issues..which it sounds like you're describing..and having an in-house GR team that effectively could/should be working full-time. The University has a full-time GR staff..and works about 5 miles from the state capitol.

Over time reading the UB message boards with comments such as this... "The Medical Campus and some of those changes go a long way towards augmenting the 'flagship university' argument. Get that going and more fund might be forthcoming.." and reading the editorials coming out of Western NY, one thing is clear.

This has ALWAYS been about ONE thing, UB establishing themselves as the only flagship center relegating all others to second class status. It's an ego-maniac driven school that is willing to trample on their brethren and leave bodies in their wake on the way to being the one and only flagship. I don't begrudge them for doing it but it would be a damn shame if we were to sit around and let them push us and the rest of the SUNY centers around.

I say EFF them! I'm glad to finally see some urgency coming out of the CD.

http://www.timesunion.com/opinion/article/SUNY-shouldn-t-piggyback-on-UB-1371370.php

Seven year of planning? You mean the humongous/unfeasible 5 BILLION dollar pipe dream they put together that the current governor has told them to scale way back?

I know they are pissed that they didn't ram their legislation through yet, hopefully more and more lawmakers from Binghamton and SB areas wise up to their power grab.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice letter/support from the Giants. I bet if asked, they would also be a strong advocate for our stadium NEEDS?

I like the sound of:

"Giant's Stadium at UAlbany"

"Mara-Tisch Stadium"

"Giants Stadium North"

I don't really call what they name it as long there is something to name.

UB goes today in front of lawmakers to present their revised 2020 plan, plan is to scale it down and get specific with requests. I'm not sure if this is the UB2020 summit or something different but UB is gonna try and flex their muscles with the Western delegation behind them.

STORY

This article indicates that this is the summit first mentioned by Cuomo a few months ago.

My link

Archived