UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

OT: BYU Honor Code

Some schools treat their athletes more leniently, while others treat them more harshly. Where I coached the athletes were held to a higher academic standard than the other students. It was written and they knew it. If their grades did not meet the standards, they were ineligible to participate. This wasn't the first athlete to be suspended for violating this rule. It's just more newsworthy based upon the teams success.

Should have kept the monkey in the pants until after the tournament!

Well, that certainly cleared the room.

Bad time to say he was only trying to work on his shot release?

I'm thinking he's more of a dribbler then a shooter. He can really penetrate the D.

Dane96...the same ways celebrity's get all their info/missteps dragged through the mud when they do something, the same way this BASKEBTALL PLAYER ON A NATIONAL CONTENDER is getting dragged through the mud for his misstep. He knew the rules going in and he broke them. Shame on him. Is he being made an example of? Sure. Just like Plexio Burress was made an example of for something that someone else MIGHT have gotten half the time he did for. But had he (Davies) not done the 'wild chicken' (whatever that is), he would have been fine. It's his fault and no one else's. Stop defending him.

Society as a whole eats stuff like this up. Fact of the matter is he broke the rules and he's getting punished. You think just because Rothlisberger wasn't charged with rape, etc. that he may have not done it? Please. As click said, don't be naive.

Welcome to Earth bro.

First, don't speak down to me like I am some idiot...because I am pretty sure my worldly knowledge is at a high level. Second, read my posts again: I WAS NOT DEFENDING HIM...I SAID HE PROBABLY BROKE THE RULE. I am, however, saying this was not about breaking rules for BYU...it was about making a public point by BYU to elevate the religion as many BYU alumni are contending.

You all missing the two logical points. OTHER ATHLETES ON THEIR MAJOR TEAM (FOOTBALL) HAVE DONE THE SAME. Only one, that I was aware of, was punished...and he was not a star. Point 2- this is a code about RELIGION...not about cheating on an exam etc. If it is ok for one person to get away with breaking the religious code...and not ok for another...what does that say about the foundation of that religion.

Believe me...as a frosh Doc Sauers gave people lectures (in DIII) on the responsibility of being an athlete at a University and how the bar is raised.

Point is, this bar was raised for one student-athlete when others inside the school (including former athletes) swear they have broken the religious honor code with no negative effect on their lives.

Again, I can give two cares because this does not affect me...however this simply reeks of hypocrisy to a level that is much much different than the normal "honor codes" of other schools, jobs, etc. This honor code is based on the essentials of Mormon life. If you are going to make a point...make it across the board, otherwise I can't take it seriously (it...being your chosen lifestyle).

Here ya go buddy:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/jim-mcmahon-talks-about-b-y-u-s-honor-code/

Hmmm...thanks for winning us bowl games...now leave. HYPOCRISY!!!!!!!!!!!

Even better...a 2008 article: http://sportsbybrooks.com/byu-expelled-non-mormon-mcmahon-spiked-hof-20774

Public drinking = PROBATION....HMMMMMMMMMMM.

...because I am pretty sure my worldly knowledge is at a high level.

Who really says something like that (regardless of what is being debating)? You may truly believe that about yourself but to proclaim that on a sports message board....that makes you sound like a ....well.. I'll leave it at that..IMHO. lol... :rolleyes:

Fair enough...I couldnt think of any other words to respond with when someone says, "YOU ARE SO NAIVE" and "welcome to earth" or puts words in my mouth (e.g. that I was defending the kid...which I wasn't).

Mine was equally obnoxious, I will admit.

There is ONE point and ONE point only on this topic.

He knew the rules. He broke them. Someone else did and didn't get any discipline? Boohoo. Cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

I see many people speeding every day and yet I have been pulled over for something as silly as tinted windows. But they get away scott free. What does that have to do with anything you ask? Well, same principle.

"But he did it too!" (football players?)

"So?"

"So...."

...get my point?

Get out of here with that nonsense Dane. You should be looking at the facts of this situation and this situation only. Life isn't fair. Sure people can rant and rave about how other kids got away with it, etc. but perhaps they are changing their policies and trying to enforce them now. Did that not occur to you?

lol @ don't talk down to me. See end of line #2 above. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to discuss the issue (see above) and root for the UAlbany Great Danes basketball team and I couldn't care less if I step on some toes in the process.

I wasn't offended by your comeback post so you shouldn't be offended by my original post (or this one for that matter).

At the end of the day, BYU and Davies doesn't (or rather shouldn't) matter to any of us. People need to start worrying about the things they control instead of worrying about what some college out west is doing in regards to their policies. Seriously? There is much bigger things to worry about like the state of our State Government or the state of our communities and the kids in these communities (drugs, illiteracy, etc.). But no, the media and the nation LOVE to eat stuff like this up.

O M G, some kid got banned for having sex. NOOOOOOOOOOO.

363lol.gif363lol.gif

rofl.gifrofl.gif

facepalm.gif

Archived