UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Post Season - Review

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One thing I've seen here a lot is having a "young team" tied to the word "excuse." Finishing tied for third I don't think we have to make excuses. I was pretty happy the way this year turned out and find having a "young team" a reason for optimism. I realize optimism is usually a dirty word here.

I agree with 08 about Stony Brook probably being picked first. I think that's actually a good thing. The SUNY schools haven't really been good at the same time and I think it will really amp up the rivalry if they are.

Pound, I agree the team has nothing to be excused for. It was a great improvement and a very good season. I still feel the talent was there for a few more wins, especially one or two in the tournament. Young is not necessarily a handicap--Mich State won a national championship with five freshman in the starting line-up and I beleive Syracuse had 3 of their first 6 when they won their championship. I know that is another level, but I still feel the talent of our freshman and sophs equated to 18 wins.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

So on the eve of the opener I realize that my initial expectations haven't changed much since the end of last year.

Knowing that my opinion means nothing, and not fearing that I will be branded with the moniker of "fair weather fan" by program loyalists, I enter this season expecting the men's basketball team to win ten games total."

Haggy - I would never brand you a fair weather fan - I guess that +6 wins = B-

I didn't differ much than you - I gave a B+ based on an "A" grade being winning the regular season or tournament title

even though this team exceeded my preseason expectations - 13 to 15 wins

Like you I hope next year starts out good early

If I was making my grade compared to my expectations for the season, this year's performance would have to be a solid "A". This team showed heart and hustle that was sorely missing from last year's team, they played hard through the whole season, and heck, I don't think I once had to hear about how low their basketball IQs are.

Put that side to side to last year and you don't just have an "A"; you might have a valedictorian.

Put 16-16 in a weakened conference next to where I want, where I expect, and where I firmly believe we should be, and you end up with a "B-".

Here's the thing...undeniable UVM and BU were the two best teams I'd say by a significant margin. Against the rest of the league (weak as it was) we pretty much beat up on the teams tied or below us going 9-3. We also blew a few games, BU at home, UNH missed FT where one would have sealed it. This is to be expected with a freshmen shooting a FT to close a game out, the BU game we just blew. Up 16 in the second half and couldn't hold on. Could have also won the Maine game.

The one thing that really leaves a sour taste in my mouth is the quick exit from the AE tourney. With a couple of bounces we could have been 11-5 with one of the least experienced teams in the country according to KenPom (326).

• 3 weeks later...

"Looking ahead, Will Brown, who has taken teams to at least 15 wins in five of the last six seasons, has talent coming back. Both Black and Aronhalt were just sophomores, while freshman Luke Devlin, an Australian import, came on as the season wore down."

Not saying he didnt have his faults (he readily admitted that on his own), but many schools would kill to have what amounts to a .500 record for half a decade.....

...let the bashing begin.

"Looking ahead, Will Brown, who has taken teams to at least 15 wins in five of the last six seasons, has talent coming back. Both Black and Aronhalt were just sophomores, while freshman Luke Devlin, an Australian import, came on as the season wore down."

Not saying he didnt have his faults (he readily admitted that on his own), but many schools would kill to have what amounts to a .500 record for half a decade.....

...let the bashing begin.

Not bashing...but it's mediocre. 6 years ago we'd all commend him for that record. I'd like a couple more 20 wins seasons though. Call me unrealistic.

I like Brown, I think he's turning it back around but .500 is mediocre. If they finish .500 again next season with everyone healthy (if we are lucky) you going to be happy about that?

Call me crazy but I say 20 or bust next season. We should have improved depth, toughness and continued development out of the core.

Time to raise the bar a little here.

I agree that it's 20 or bust next season. However, I think all the talk of Brown's job status should finally be put to rest. Even with another 15 win season next year, he deserves an extension IMO. Sustained success (or even mediocrity...whatever you wanna call it) is very difficult to come by at low major D1 ball

I agree that it's 20 or bust next season. However, I think all the talk of Brown's job status should finally be put to rest. Even with another 15 win season next year, he deserves an extension IMO. Sustained success (or even mediocrity...whatever you wanna call it) is very difficult to come by at low major D1 ball

THIS!!!!

Guys, the realistic expectations are just so out of whack. Teams would kill to have constant sustained success (or mediocrity...if, as Rocked described those who are on the other side of the argument). This is low level D1. To catch lightening in a bottle once or twice a decade is an accomplishment. To be in the middle, for most years...is pretty good at this level.

From One Bid-Wonders:

"No one would argue that the America East should be as good as the CAA, but 10 years ago the league's were much closer together. In the past decade, the CAA has gotten 2 different teams to the Final Four, the America East has one NCAA tournament win... the league, it's commissioner and all nine athletic directors had better get their collective ISH together and start moving in the right direction..."

There's challenges yes, but with Coaches like Chamber and Lonergan hopefully there's a sign that some new blood/ energy is being pushed into this league. I'm hoping somebody eventually moved up and out of the AE to encourage promising young coaches to take a chance and see a career path. LCC and the MAAC get trashed on this board... but then we're ok to admit how low our standards are? It's fair to expect more (and I have some hope we'll see it next year)

THIS!!!!

Guys, the realistic expectations are just so out of whack. Teams would kill to have constant sustained success (or mediocrity...if, as Rocked described those who are on the other side of the argument). This is low level D1. To catch lightening in a bottle once or twice a decade is an accomplishment. To be in the middle, for most years...is pretty good at this level.

I'm sorry...I disagree. From the looks of it...FAR TO MANY PEOPLE HERE ARE OK WITH MEDIOCRITY. Call me unrealistic but I want more...no reason why we can't have more especially playing in a TERRIBLE LEAGUE.

16 wins and first round exits ARE NOT OK. Even though I'm a bit critical, I still believe in Brown that he can turn it around. I'm not OK with settling for mediocrity.

Endless stream of 15 wins with no chance at post season play or national attention is not OK.

Disagree. Brown has already been hyping up how the team is going to be even better and deeper next year. Another 15 win season and your going to give him an extension when the team is supposedly even better than last season? He just needs to get it done. Even if he wins 20 games and loses in the quarters next year again I would be hesitant to offer an extension. Obviously the Athletic Department wants to see how the final season of his contract plays out next year otherwise they would have extended already instead of making him a lame duck.

My 2cents. Our goal should be post season EVERY year; and I do not necessarily mean NCAA. There are now three other post season touranaments (nit,cbi and the third I forget, cit I think). 18 to 20 wins and at least a first round win in the AE should draw interest from these, especially if we did it (win 18 plus) consistently. In my opinion going a round or two in these lesser tournaments is more realistic than winning an ncaa championship and "perhaps" as beneficial as one and out in the ncaa. Also, in these tourns, a home game now and then possible!

My 2cents. Our goal should be post season EVERY year; and I do not necessarily mean NCAA. There are now three other post season touranaments (nit,cbi and the third I forget, cit I think). 18 to 20 wins and at least a first round win in the AE should draw interest from these, especially if we did it (win 18 plus) consistently. In my opinion going a round or two in these lesser tournaments is more realistic than winning an ncaa championship and "perhaps" as beneficial as one and out in the ncaa.

Agree. Everyone knows if we made the NCAA tournament again we'd be one and done. The only thing about the CIT and CBI is the team has to pay for travel and all expenses unlike the NIT and NCAA. 18+ wins every year is sustained success. Teams don't kill to be .500 every year. What coach in their right mind would go into every season and be satisfied with .500. Teams want to win not be mediocre.

Archived