UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany to build Football Stadium

does anyone see how a modest lacrosse field has impacted the university? local schools, hell...THE BIGGEST LACROSSE LEAGUE IN THE COUNTRY, has played there. We can hold events there. What the hell is the damn issue!!!! Hmmm, you think the Giants would think twice about keeping their training camp in Albany is we have brand new facilities? Hmmm, people won't be bitching then!!! Damn, crap like this pisses me off. People complain about attendance...WELL WHO THE HELL WANTS TO TAKE THEIR FAMILY TO THE CRAPPY FIELD WE HAVE NOW!!!!! Hard to get fans when you stadium is equal to, if not worse quality, then the high school down the block. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this if the final nail for me...

http://blog.timesunion.com/opinion/ualbany-kicks-off-%E2%80%A8a-hot-potato/13108/

My favorite line of stupidity...

It needs to say why a seemingly serviceable stadium needs to be replaced. To say the current stadium and track are old and in “disrepair” does not explain why a new facility is a wiser investment than fixing the old one, particularly when there are maintenance funds available.

It needs to more fully explain how a new facility enhances UAlbany enough to be a priority at this moment. Yes, a first-rate track would be nice. So would a multi-use stadium for football, soccer and university and community events. And yes, it would be nice to have a lighted artificial turf field for recreational clubs and intramural teams.

But, again, how is this a priority, beyond the appeal of something shiny and new? How might this facility fit into a very valid goal, for instance, of promoting more student involvement in sports and a more active, healthier student body?

you can't make this crap up. Do people even walk onto the campus? I'm really just waiting for some idiot to bring up the rape charges case the two ex-football players at this point as a way to make a case against the stadium.

I haven't heard any anything since last week's articles following the stadium news. What is the mood on campus about the project? How are the professors responding? Are those against the project just resigned to the fact that it will happen or do they have more complaining in them? I think the last article was last Sunday?

I would guess no news is good news. The best thing we can hope for is that the local media fouses on some other news event and leaves us alone.

Not much new, the blog comments have about stopped.

Office of Facilities Management has added the Project Overview to its home page, but nothing there we haven't seen yet.

The Times-Union high school sports blog has series of photos from the UAlbany lineman camp http://blog.timesunion.com/sidelines/2011/07/22/linemen-camp-from-ualbany/

That's great to hear. In this case, no news is good news. I have to admit I expected letters to the editor, complaints etc. I'm shocked at the silence, in a good way. I guess if the funding is in place there isn't much that can be done? There may also be acceptance that this is happening. Maybe it's as simple as the news cycle has picked up and this isnt a priority when you have a debt crisis and bombings going on.

Anyway, I'm hoping for six months of silence and then a shovel in the ground.

I haven't posted much on this since a few of you have articulated my sentiments better than I could have. I was wondering for those who were around when the Sefcu Arena - RACC was built was there an outcry against that as well? I realize there were no blogs or web forums then.

I don't remember anyone saying didley about Fallon Field when it was built.

I don't remember any objections. Maybe the same professors wrote to the T-U. Not sure what local radio sports-talk shows were on then, almost 20 years ago, that probably would have been the only other outlet for whining.

UAlbany needs to make pitch - Mark McGwire's column today comes down to "UAlbany needs a stadium, I want to support them, but I can't until they tell me to the penny how much it will cost and how it will be financed, and they won't tell me" and that UAlbany must make the pitch and use this to integrate itself with the community.

Bing Mark...none of his business. Who is he...that we MUST run this by him. Who is he to decide whether 1 dollar, 5 million dollars or 20 million dollars is the right amount.

I am so sick of the TU and the city of Albany. It's pathetic already. I swear to g-d...I would love for the ability to shut down the University for a 2-year period and show these people just exactly how much of an impact it makes on the area.

Further, and if his problem is OVERALL State spending...which I could get behind...I want to see him spending time ripping all the other projects that exist every year in this State.

Sorry, like him normally...but he is off the mark, pun intended.

Dane96 - you and I usually agree on most things, but on this we don't.

Take the headline out (editors choice, niot Mark's) and read it again.

I think he's spot on. He's not saying the need isn't there or there aren't enormous benefits. He's not even really saying the school shouldn't spend the money. He's actually not even saying explain it or don't build it.

It's quite the opposite really. He's really just saying the school has incredibly mismanaged the entire project, even down to what should have a joyous announcement. And more importantly, he's saying there are people on the fringe that would come out in droves if the school would just "man up" and stand behind a decision for once.

We've all been saying the same exact thing for 7 years now.

My problem with the article is simple fairness. You would not see this article in any other state. There is a sense of entitlement in the piece. The university does not forfeit the right to make it's own decisions because it's partially state funded. I too would like to know the details but I am not entitled to have the president explain his decisions to me. The AJC wouldn't do that to Tech. The Union Tribune wouldn't do that to SDSU. The Boise paper wouldnt do that to the Broncos. UAlbany has to go beg for approval from the TU to the local malcontent "activist". It's crazy. You can't run an organization like that and be successful. Period.

My problem with the article is simple fairness. You would not see this article in any other state. There is a sense of entitlement in the piece. The university does not forfeit the right to make it's own decisions because it's partially state funded. I too would like to know the details but I am not entitled to have the president explain his decisions to me. The AJC wouldn't do that to Tech. The Union Tribune wouldn't do that to SDSU. The Boise paper wouldnt do that to the Broncos. UAlbany has to go beg for approval from the TU to the local malcontent "activist". It's crazy. You can't run an organization like that and be successful. Period.

I don't even think McGuire's even asking for the school to ask permission. I think what's he's saying is that he and many more casual UA fans would support the project if the school made a little concerted effort.

And I agree that most other papers wouldn't take such an adversarial stance towards the local cash cow but I also don't think GT, SDSU or Boise St would ever cowar like the UA adminstration has done with this entire project since it's blunder in 2007.

You know what...I read it again...and I withdraw my anger post. That was a "been up working since 6am" post.

Hey, I think we are all entitled to a quick trigger when it comes to the TU bashing UA.

McGuire has consistently been the most ardent supporter of UA athletics within the TU, even if not the administration.

Archived