UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Biggest week in UA football history (@ SBU)

I wouldn't have minded see a run there either but Di Lella has thrown more touchdowns this year than anyone in UAlbany history. It was second down. He could have thrown it away and lived to play another down.

It was a mistake in a big situation. Doesn't negate that he's had a fantastic season this year.

I don't remember a loss this freakin awful.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All things aside, this team played pretty good this year and very good today.

Proud to be part of the Purple Fam today despite a tough loss.

Time to get the stadium built and focus on next year and the future.

Need to put pressure on McElroy to get his act in gear and do the right thing for Coach Ford.

I watched the game on ESPN3. We played a great game for 2 1/2 quarters. It's not the level of play that I'm upset about. Teams lose and it happens.

It kiils me that Stony Brook has a new stadium and we have crap. They have a 120 person marching band and we have a pep band. We have 36 scholarships they have 64. Why do we have nothing and SBU has everything? The NY Times says they will be scheduling SEC schools next :-O

I'm insanely mad at the disparity! I'm angry at what they have accomplished while we're dithering.

NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/sports/ncaafootball/stony-brook-football-has-arrived-marching-band-and-all.html

I wanted to wait a few hours after getting home to post my thoughts. First, outcome aside, what a great day, fun tailgate with some good friends (other albany alum), very solid UA contingent at the game, exciting, loud and great atmosphere, just a really fun fun sporting event. Second, nice to see a few of the board members once again.

Now to the game. I'm really proud of the players and the team and the way they fought against what I think was a more talented team. They came out and played as hard as they could and came up short. Sorry for the seniors with the way they lost but they should all be proud of their effort and passion for UA football. I started to get very nervous for Di Lella when I saw him on the sidelines during the 3rd and 4th quarter pacing up and down the sideline, back and forth, back and forth from 30 to 30. He was so fired up and it was understandable but we needed some more poise at that point. He started trying to force passes, staring down his receivers, throwing late in the route and making poor decisions throwing into coverage. He made some really great plays as well but started to lose control. I'm not sure if that was from nerves, excitement or whatever but he was doing some things I haven't really seen him do in the 5-6 games I saw this year. The final drive he made some poor decisions and throws and was lucky to not be picked off on the 3rd down before the big 4th down conversion where is did a jumping hail mary over the middle into double coverage.

After watching the way he was playing and acting on the sidelines I wouldn't have put the game in his hands at the goal line. I would have NEVER passed in that situation due to Dan's shaky play down the stretch and the way Drew Smith started running. Yes, Monday Morning QB and all that but you just can't throw the ball there. Run the ball two times and try to get in the end zone and then kick the field goal if you have to. Play for the win on the road I guess is how they were thinking but not in the playoffs. You need to protect the ball there and make sure you at least tie the game.

Again, I'm really proud of the team and the players and all the fans who came out to support the team. Congratulations to the seniors, especially Di Lella and Delaney for their record breaking seasons. Sad that it had to end this way.

And the game is on nowhere now...Awesome...

edit: NM just showed up on ESPN3

They took down the link I needed on the other website, and Time Warner insists that you have cable to use ESPN3, so now I am officially screwed that I didn't take the bus down this morning.

I don't care that you got the 3 to work later; no excuse not to go to this game. Just got back a little while ago. Echo the thoughts of most. Suck siena the way it ended, but certainly proud of the effort and the season.

Great tailgating scene by the UA fauthful down there at Southeastern NY state U. Time to get the stadium done and do it better than SB.

Didn't like the play call but more then anything I hated the decision Dilella is the Brett Favre of Dane football.

Just throw it away and we send the game into OT on a chip shot (extra point like) FG

True...but you don't put him in that position.

Honestly, that is the worst possible outcome. You are down 3...and that is just beyond unreal.

Exactly.. the ball shouldn't have been in his hands at that point. Should have been in a running backs hands...I don't care if the defense knew it was a running play and we lost yards we still would have been in FG range....but to choose not to run it? So soo puzzling. Very glad I don't have to drive back from LI after that ending; my comfy couch in Albany did me well this evening.

Like I told Haggy, still nothing beats being at the game even with the disappointing outcome and there are far worse things than leaving Long Island such as staying there

Nice to see the TU finally realizes this is the number 1 sports story locally right now.

Their best reporter with a story and their worst reporter staying up from his normal low level beat to also cover the playoffs.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Pain-and-pride-in-tough-loss-2294434.php

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Danes-fall-just-short-2293989.php

Good Morning Fellow Great Dane Fans and Supporters....

I, like many of you, sat watching my computer or listening to the game call on radio. The game featured mostly positive moments. During those tiumes, I found myself screaming or banging on my desk. It was a great game to watch as it was football at the finest sense....mixing in all aspects of the game. The Great Dane players should be proud on getting to this point and the way they played and acted both during the finest moments and then through the end.

Albany has a great history of providing a fine education. When I attended the school, it was mostly New Yorkers and the athletes were local talents since the programs were at the division 3 level. Well, it is not like that anymore. The education is well regarded across the United States and in some cases, features the best prgram you can find and the sports programs are beginning to make a name for themselves. Not every school, especially those that do not have the funding in place can be a Michigan or Notre Dame or Florida in terms of sports. As a mid major, Albany is doing pretty well for itself. Look at the championships. Go to the athletes weight room and see the banners. And now the football team gets one too. Where it also shows is that the talent is now coming outside of the boarders of New York and reaching across our country and now, even the world. That is a testiment to our coaches who play two roles, first as salesman to 17 and 18 year old kids and then as coaches and teachers once they arrive on the campus. These scholar athletes deserve quality facilities to go along with their quality education.

There must be something that we can do as a community of alumni and supporters to convince the administration of this fine university that an investment in college athletics is a wise one. It is time for the university to stop fighting with the community and allow the two to join together to strengthen our fan base and attendance at events. Our success in football is wonderful, but here are 18 other sports out there that need support (and upgraded facilities) too. New facilities that can be used by the community should be welcomed not protested!

There are few situations where Albany is not in the conference championship discussion. While that conference is the America East....remember that our friends at Stony Brook are right there with us. The only difference, they have facilities. Look at the football stadium, the baseball stadium. Our athletes deserve that.

Over the past month I have read many opinions from you all...the passion shows for sure....lets use that passion to impress the administration to do something new. There is a new president coming to the university....we need to get to him or her early so that they know how important athletics is at UAlbany. I am not only an alumni but a proud parent of a UA athlete. The time is right to go to the next level! LETS GO DANES!

Like I told Haggy, still nothing beats being at the game even with the disappointing outcome and there are far worse things than leaving Long Island such as staying there

I agree Bob. What a great atmosphere. There was definitely several thousand UA fans there.

I am disappointed that I missed the game, and I probably should have found the strength to "man up", but there were a lot of other mitigating factors involved in my decision to stay home.

To watch the entire season, and attend six games, only to miss the biggest game of the season was not easy.

Good Morning Fellow Great Dane Fans and Supporters....

I, like many of you, sat watching my computer or listening to the game call on radio. The game featured mostly positive moments. During those tiumes, I found myself screaming or banging on my desk. It was a great game to watch as it was football at the finest sense....mixing in all aspects of the game. The Great Dane players should be proud on getting to this point and the way they played and acted both during the finest moments and then through the end.

Albany has a great history of providing a fine education. When I attended the school, it was mostly New Yorkers and the athletes were local talents since the programs were at the division 3 level. Well, it is not like that anymore. The education is well regarded across the United States and in some cases, features the best prgram you can find and the sports programs are beginning to make a name for themselves. Not every school, especially those that do not have the funding in place can be a Michigan or Notre Dame or Florida in terms of sports. As a mid major, Albany is doing pretty well for itself. Look at the championships. Go to the athletes weight room and see the banners. And now the football team gets one too. Where it also shows is that the talent is now coming outside of the boarders of New York and reaching across our country and now, even the world. That is a testiment to our coaches who play two roles, first as salesman to 17 and 18 year old kids and then as coaches and teachers once they arrive on the campus. These scholar athletes deserve quality facilities to go along with their quality education.

There must be something that we can do as a community of alumni and supporters to convince the administration of this fine university that an investment in college athletics is a wise one. It is time for the university to stop fighting with the community and allow the two to join together to strengthen our fan base and attendance at events. Our success in football is wonderful, but here are 18 other sports out there that need support (and upgraded facilities) too. New facilities that can be used by the community should be welcomed not protested!

There are few situations where Albany is not in the conference championship discussion. While that conference is the America East....remember that our friends at Stony Brook are right there with us. The only difference, they have facilities. Look at the football stadium, the baseball stadium. Our athletes deserve that.

Over the past month I have read many opinions from you all...the passion shows for sure....lets use that passion to impress the administration to do something new. There is a new president coming to the university....we need to get to him or her early so that they know how important athletics is at UAlbany. I am not only an alumni but a proud parent of a UA athlete. The time is right to go to the next level! LETS GO DANES!

Nice post, and it summarizes the feelings of many around here. So, the question begs to be asked: During this upsurge in emotion and success, what are we going to do as a group to show that we deserve to know where things are headed with the program?

One suggestion I have would be for all of us to submit questions for MacElroy and request a meeting with him. If you look at what we know, and how we feel about the way the athletic department has treated the program and its supporters, we are a powerful voice that cannot be ignored.

Archived