UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Some recruiting targets per the media

Option style?! Huh....we haven't run a pure option since the mid-90's.

We are not going back to option football...and I would be shocked if Ryan Spelman plays QB for the Danes. You simply DON'T win in football anymore with the option...even Georgia Southern isn't going completely back to an option. Spread Offenses and multiple sets in the backfield are going to win football games.

Spelman...btw...can throw. But there are a bunch of guys way ahead of him on the depth chart in my opinion. If he progresses as a passer, he becomes a Vinny Esposito as a ceiling. If he does not...expect this kid to play WR (really big and quick guy) or Strong Safety. He throws 20 lbs on his body and he is a prototypical SS at the next level (NFL) or Will (Weakside Linebacker) with his size, speed and athletic abilities.

BTW...IMHO, the following is our QB Depth Chart:

1. Leathley- Experienced...but I still want to see more out of him. I think he can shine...but who knows.

2. Fiachhi- If this kid keeps pace and the game slows down for him, watch out...he is another Dan DiLella type pocket passer

3. Whomever we red-shirted

4. Ryan Smith- ONLY B/C he has to sit out the season...or he would be battling for the No. 1 spot...easily. Kid can play.

5. Ryan Spelman

Holy Spirit High School's Domenic LaFragola looks forward to the next time he'll see fellow senior and best friend Ethan Gambale on the football field.

For the first time, they will be opponents.

LaFragola, a 6-foot-3, 290-pound offensive lineman, committed to the University at Albany this week. Albany plays in the Northeast Conference along with Monmouth University, where Gambale will play next year.

"Monmouth and Albany are hardcore rivals. I really can't wait to see Ethan at middle linebacker," LaFragola said Tuesday.

The 17-year-old Little Egg Harbor Township resident will receive a partial athletic scholarship to Albany, which competes in the NCAA's Football Championship Series. He also was contacted by University of Delaware, New Hampshire, Maine, Stony Brook and Monmouth.

LaFragola was a second-team Press All-Star and a team captain who helped Holy Spirit to a state Non-Public II championship last fall.

The Spartans' offensive line was one of the team's biggest assets.

"He was our most aggressive and physical lineman that we had and a big part of that unit's success," Holy Spirit athletic director Keith Gorman said.

LaFragola said he was impressed with the Great Danes' program, which has won the NEC title five times in the last decade. Albany was 8-4 last season, 7-1 in conference play.

He is thrilled to play for longtime coach Bob Ford, whom LaFragola called a living legend among the Albany community. Ford has been Albany's only head coach since the program was reinstated in 1970 after a 46-year absence. Under Ford, the Great Danes are 80-52 as an NCAA Division I FCS program.

"For me, the stuff he taught me in several short days of meeting him and the wisdom I got from him is limitless already," LaFragola said.

LaFragola, who also wrestles at Holy Spirit, credited Albany assistant coach Jamie Casullo and others involved in his recruiting process for selling the program to him.

"I really couldn't turn down the package they gave me," he said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qLdV1vTnG8

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports_hs_football/holy-spirit-s-domenic-lafragola-commits-to-play-football-at/article_a067d1f4-4789-11e1-821c-0019bb2963f4.html

Going to defer to Danefan on this one: what is the level of talent in Jersey he is playing against?

I ask b/c the line he plays on looks huge...the guys he is playing against look average sized...no real technique or speed. That said, the kid really powers his legs and finishes his blocks well, and looks solid at shedding the first level of defenders in the running game.

So...I am having a hard time figuring out if he is really "THAT GOOD"...or simply solid. I will say he needs to improve his footwork because he doesnt appear very quick in general, something he will have to face with the top teams of the NEC and most of our solid OOC schedule, but he can run for his size.

Overall...I like what I see out of this kid...but film is film. But it's good to get back to recruiting HOGS. His frame looks like he can easily toss on 15-20 lbs for the guard position yet keep his speed (footwork...another story).

They won the Parochial Group 2 state championship this year, but that's South Jersey and small Catholic schools. It's better than most of NY football, but nowhere near the North Jersey teams from Don Bosco, Bergen Catholic, etc. But then again there isn't a team in the entire country that matches up with Bosco and very few that can match up with Bergen Catholic.

The kid has a solid frame and has a ton of potential on film. These recruits are showing some serious talent compared to the classes of last decade.

• 1 month later...

Archived