UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ Stony Brook

I didn't see the game. I was at the Giants game. Will Brown didn't seem to think the defense was horrible. <_<

“We didn’t get to the (foul) line as much as I thought we should have,” Brown said. “(Starting forward Luke) Devlin had been playing consistently and he went scoreless. That hurt us. But, 72 percent in the first half … God, that can’t happen. They hit some ridiculous shots. It seems like whenever someone shot the ball for them, it went in. Our defense wasn’t horrible.”

SMalbany mentality. Losing should not be tolerated.

I'm OK with the loss, they held home court as expected...but come on, that defense was pretty horrible.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the defense was any worse than we've been playing. Certainly not great..but I'd agree that it wasn't horrible..meaning we've certainly played worse defense this year. I think we too easily equate an opponent scoring a lot to us playing poor defense. Obviously it slants that way..but it's not always a 1:1 relationship.

I always see two things at play. 1) Is your defense forcing difficult shots and 2) Is the opponent hitting difficult shots. The more difficult shots you force..the more likely the opponent will miss. But it does happen that the opponent will still hit the difficult shots you force. I think it was some of both yesterday. We didn't force as many difficult shots as we needed to..but even when we did..Stony Brook still hit a lot of them.

I don't even think teams shoot 72% in pre-game warm-ups when no one's guarding them and they get to choose where they're shooting from.

Wonder what this stems from.

@UAHOOPSWB: Amazing how many ignorant people are in this world.Must feel good to criticize kids who you don't know.Says alot about ones character!#Fools

Someone probably sent him this from the AE board...

"Originally Posted by Redwyn

Having sat at mid-court all of this game, it's abundantly clear that Albany's problem was Suero himself. I haven't watched him previously, but I can attest that today - Albany: Suero lost you this game. I'm not big on criticizing a player to this extent, but the guy's a complete junk-baller. He doesn't play defense, doesn't create plays, doesn't provide a boost to the players around him, doesn't fight for rebounds, and plays junk offense with a huge elbow that almost knocked Dave Coley out of the game. Quite a few people around me are active basketball critics and coaches...consensus is that Suero is one of the worst players in the conference, if not in D1. His defense and total effort got so bad that on three occasions Black started screaming at him on the court to try harder. That leads me to believe his locker-room presence isn't spectacular either. Suero didn't stand in huddles, showed body language that suggested he had no will to play, and overall was unimpressive from any basketball perspective.

Bottomline: You DO NOT WIN when you score 28 but give up well over 40. When Suero sat, Albany players got better, worked harder, and played better defense. Black is a great player. I saw flashes from Aronhalt as well. You have a lot of athleticism on this team, but when you have a player who's a constant liability on the court you WILL LOSE to anyone who gameplans. Suero is by and large one of the worst basketball players in this conference. Give me a team full of Ben Resners - who may not be as athletically gifted as Suero but still try their hardest on every possession - and I can beat a team full of Sueros any day.

Answer me - Is he like this every game?"

Of course about 24 hours later the worst player in all of D1 was announced as the POW. I know the AE is bad I just didn't know how bad apparently.

GDG's thoughts....in regards to the Unranked AE post regarding the SB game and the writer's analysis of Suero. Thought I'd post it on here..

"An easy gut reaction analysis of Suero if you haven’t seen him play that much. Sure..he ‘looks’ lethargic on defense. But he ‘looks’ the same way on the offensive side of the ball..with much different result.

For a guy who ‘shys away from contact’ and is the ‘first to back away from the basket,’ he leads the team in rebounding (5.6/game).. good for 12th in the conference. I can’t tell you how many times he’s grabbed offensive boards off his own/others’ misses for putbacks, beating out front court players 4-6 inches taller than him. He’s rarely the first person out on a fast break. Black and Aronhalt are most often out front.

No one’s claiming he’s an all-conference defender (I’d wager there are very few mid-major players who are top 5 scorers in the country AND all-conference defenders), but to suggest all he wants to do is score and is lazy with all other aspects of the game… is in itself lazy analysis.

And

'His attitude on the court once Albany fell behind by double digits was that of an unmotivated kid counting the seconds until the bus ride home. Here wasn’t a 1st team all conference offensive player.'

You were actually watching the game, right? He scored 15 points over the final 12-13 minutes of the game, nearly all of which were with UA behind by those very double digits that you mention."

Again, don’t let facts get in the way of a fun post."

The SBU fans are a bunch of...well, yeah. Redwyn is normally reasoned...but that post was so off it wasn't funny. The other two guys (Salty and I once Saw) are just azzholes. Do I get fired up as a fan / former athlete when I watch Gerado and Logan play D at times. Sure...but then again, I wasn't a DI athlete. That said, they are competitors and I am pretty convinced they seek to improve every day.

I wouldn't trade any of our guys...including Gerado and Logan.

The reality is...we produce quality athletes...quality students...and quality people. That's the coaching and support staff...but the rest is the kid's themselves.

'His attitude on the court once Albany fell behind by double digits was that of an unmotivated kid counting the seconds until the bus ride home. Here wasn’t a 1st team all conference offensive player.'

You were actually watching the game, right? He scored 15 points over the final 12-13 minutes of the game, nearly all of which were with UA behind by those very double digits that you mention."

Suero was en fuego...carried the team that last third of the game. That three from about 30 feet was nasty...as were his drives. If I remember correctly, he also had two steals/breakups on the defensive end that led to a break and one TO (it was break that SBU then broke up). Either way, the guy wanted to win.

A couple games ago DP and I both noticed that when Suero's man circled around another defender, G chased him rather than (in boxing terms) cutting off the ring, and that led to three defenders in one corner of the floor and therefore somebody open elsewhere. I bet he's also getting lost in the switches, but he's not the only one - I don't think he's responsible for EVERY open three the opponents are taking. Seems we had this problem last year too.

Suero was en fuego...carried the team that last third of the game. That three from about 30 feet was nasty...as were his drives. If I remember correctly, he also had two steals/breakups on the defensive end that led to a break and one TO (it was break that SBU then broke up). Either way, the guy wanted to win.

Yeah.. I think the guy who wrote the post (italic quote) was a SBU fan.

Getting into this a little late but it doesn't seem like a good idea for CB to be jumping into this. Even as indirectly as it is through twitter. I understand and applaud standing up for your players but I just wonder what good can really come from it.

Archived