UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Men's Lacrosse 2012

Just got back form Syracuse and a couple of days in Rochester visiting family, so I am just now posting my thoughts on the SU vs UA lax game. Carroll was just plain terrible. He seems to have the same problem he did as a starter two and three years ago. Early on he just does not seem to pick-up the ball at all and gives up a lot of early goals. It seems as the game goes on he improves; but without really checking, I am sure you would find his goals allowed and average for periods 1 & 2 are disproportionally high. He simply does not seem to warm-up until halfway through period three and by then it is usually too late.

I hate to pick on the kid because as I always try to be fair to "student athletes" which is what they are and should; be first and foremost. But I think Carroll really may not be cut out as a DI goalie. When Dan Di Lella lost his starting quarterback job, he did not sulk. He came back his senior year, worked hard and had an awesome year and as I just saw in another post has NFL possibilities.

I was hoping Carroll would do similarly. I know it is early, but let's face it Carroll lost his starting job last year to a freshman, who had only a so-so year. If Carroll had any ability at goal at all, he should have been able win his job back from Cathers who was inconsistent at best. And after one game this year, and I know Syracuse is a tough test (this is supposedly a rebuilding year for them), I have not seen anything from Carroll to convince me I am wrong about him. Believe me, I wish I am proven wrong!

Edited by dslyank

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The eligibility of Cathers (and his designated replacement) might play out as one of the season's biggest storylines.

I know it was the opener, and that it was against a traditionally strong program, but it seemed like Carroll wasn't playing at a top-notch level. There were quite a few balls where it looked like he had trouble picking up the ball.

I wonder how much of that has to do with playing in an empty dome. I'm sure it's tough to pick up the ball against the silver bleachers.

He did appear to have trouble picking up the ball, but for the record the seats behind each goal now have orange seat cushions on them.

Just got back from the lacrosse match. Carroll awful again and too many unforced turnovers. I tried to be kind after the Syacuse game, after all SU in the dome enough said. Of SU's 10 goal run last week, I said maybe 4 or 5 were legit. Someone today who knows far more about lacrosse than I, said he felt only 2 were legit unstoppable shots. Anyhow, more of the same today. Drexel had two empty netters @ the end and one from 1/2 court/field when Carroll's pass was intercepted and fired back into the empty net, as he raced back to try and recover--most said he would have been better off either backing slowly towards the goal or attacking the shooter and try to cut down the angle But I actually do not fault him for any of those three goals, but of the other ten; I only thought two or three were unstoppable.

Scott warmed up the freshman Huber @ half time, but stuck with Carroll. I do not get it. Carroll has had three years to show what he's got and after seeing two games this year, I feel he still does not have it and if he does not have it yet, he probably is not going to find it. I know I am rambling, but am very frustrated over what was actually a very winnable game. The Drexel keeper put on a clinic and in spite of that and numerous unforced errors we scored 8 (plus one disallowed for who knows why--Scott was incensed and still complaining about it a full ten minutes afterwards--everyone in the stands saw it hit the back of the net, except the refs?).

So, I really hate being mean spirited and pick on student athletes, but I think UA needs to give Huber a try. I do not think he can be any worse than Carroll.

My conclusion is that we are simply not strong in the keeper position.

With the loss of Cathers, we took a big hit.

Defense has improved, but not to the degree it will cover up our net weakness.

I'm disappointed with our offensive start to the season. I thought we'd be scoring 10+

minimum every game.

Drexel was more aggressive on both ends. On offense, we need to spread out a bit more, and move the

ball around much quicker. We're running with the ball to make too many short, rainbow

passes letting the defense adjust. On defense, we don't show enough aggression and we're not pressing out.

I don't know much about Huber's skills, but we should test him.

My conclusion is that we are simply not strong in the keeper position.

With the loss of Cathers, we took a big hit.

Defense has improved, but not to the degree it will cover up our net weakness.

I'm disappointed with our offensive start to the season. I thought we'd be scoring 10+

minimum every game.

Drexel was more aggressive on both ends. On offense, we need to spread out a bit more, and move the

ball around much quicker. We're running with the ball to make too many short, rainbow

passes letting the defense adjust. On defense, we don't show enough aggression and we're not pressing out.

I don't know much about Huber's skills, but we should test him.

Huber was first team all state. I know Illinois may not be a hot bed of lacrosse, but the game is expanding all over the country and some real quality players are coming out of some non typical places lately. I think we really need to give him a shot. Carroll had only four saves vs Drexel {and I thought the defense was playing pretty well for the most part}; and let in a number of "easy" (not that there is really such a thing) ones. Cathers was only so/so last year (inconsistent at best). Huber may be our best hope?????

Over on the lax forum, they're saying that Cathers has left the universtiy. I hope they give Huber at least a bit of time in net.

What lax forum where? Is this just speculation?

Under Albany Great Danes 2012

http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewforum.php?f=1

I'd bet it's true. Therefore, having some experience for Huber will benefit the team next year... if he's the chosen one.

Over on the lax forum, they're saying that Cathers has left the universtiy. I hope they give Huber at least a bit of time in net.

What lax forum where? Is this just speculation?

Under Albany Great Danes 2012

http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewforum.php?f=1

I'd bet it's true. Therefore, having some experience for Huber will benefit the team next year... if he's the chosen one.

uofalabany, Thanks for the link. I never knew it was there. A lot of real lacrosse info. Thanks again.

uofalbany, Thanks for the link. I never knew it was there. A lot of real lacrosse info. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Not much chatter for the Danes compared to some other schools, but there are several

that know their lacrosse.

The last poster who wrote "10 or so unforced turnovers from the offense throughout the game" against Drexel

jolted my memory. There were quite a few bad turnovers. The offense does have a bit of work to do to get up to par.

Seasons young, plenty of time to work out the kinks.

Edited by uofalbany

Got buried again today. I think it turned out 16-6

Starting to feel like its going to end in ugly fashion this year.

I'm trying to deal positively with these types of disappointments, but seriously, WTF?

Guess the luster of the glory season is gone.

Still have the office mates close to the program? I went to high school with a guy who was a

trainer for Marr back in the early 2000s, but I haven't been in contact for a while.

And I haven't been able to follow as close as I normally do.

Ok...for all those up Will Brown's ass, when are we going to start chipping about Marr. This team has been HORRIFIC for the past few years...not even remotely good...and he has a $ienaload of firepower.

I like Marr...but this team is going backwards, and fast.

And before anyone says anything that hoops > basketball...I know for a fact that three sports the school intended to highlight moving up to DI were going to be Hoops, Football, and Lax. It is very important to our school.