UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Men's Lacrosse 2012

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see him surviving this.

I've been trying not to comment, as I have nothing good to say about this program.

Unbelievable is all i have to say.

I'm not sure he deserves to survive this, as it has been going on for a long long time now.

2008 to the present.... mediocrity to an utter disaster.... basement D1 lacrosse.

I missed the latest loss; just got back from a long weekend in Tampa scouting my namesakes.

Men's lacrosse is in deep trouble. 0 and 6 with a really good Bucknell, an improving Bingo and than Hopkins coming up. Marr does not seem to have any answers, unless he is saving them for america east play? But before we scream for his head, consider the following: if he goes, I bet we lose the Thompsons and I bet they end up in Syracuse. Considering they have connections there and considering SU is strong on defense, goal and midfield; but weak offensively. If they ended up there, a national championship next year would not be surprising, and we would really look like schmucks. Marr could also end up on SU's staff. Considering he is not a very hot commodity right now, what better place to try and revive his career than as a top assistant at Syracuse?

OK, I know this sounds like a bad conspiracy novel; but I really fear losing him maybe as bad/worst as keeping him. So, when I say we are in "deep" trouble. I mean more than the loses piling up and the last several years of mediocracy.

Edited by dslyank

1) He cannot survive this downward swing...sorry, not buying into what you are selling on this one. The spiral has been consistent with no sign of change...and it is horrific this year.

2) No one wanted to believe me when I said NO WAY would this be signed in 30 days. Validity period is likely 90 days...let's them negotiate non-State mandated T&C's and Tech Specifications.

96, I definitely AM NOT trying to sell anything. I am just trying to figure what's going on. Why the collapse? How or why has Marr lost it? Just trying raise some discussion, and see what others think. Anyhow, thanks for your response. Not much being blogged about lacrosse, when there really is a lot to say/question?

I missed the latest loss; just got back from a long weekend in Tampa scouting my namesakes.

Men's lacrosse is in deep trouble. 0 and 6 with a really good Bucknell, an improving Bingo and than Hopkins coming up. Marr does not seem to have any answers, unless he is saving them for america east play? But before we scream for his head, consider the following: if he goes, I bet we lose the Thompsons and I bet they end up in Syracuse. Considering they have connections there and considering SU is strong on defense, goal and midfield; but weak offensively. If they ended up there, a national championship next year would not be surprising, and we would really look like schmucks. Marr could also end up on SU's staff. Considering he is not a very hot commodity right now, what better place to try and revive his career than as a top assistant at Syracuse?

OK, I know this sounds like a bad conspiracy novel; but I really fear losing him maybe as bad/worst as keeping him. So, when I say we are in "deep" trouble. I mean more than the loses piling up and the last several years of mediocracy.

Let's see how the remainder of the season shakes out. If we win the AE championship, all will be forgotten.

I don't want to discuss things because I'm a bit baffled by the decline. I had high hopes for this season. So far, it's been UGLY.

Again, I expected much more with our offense. I would have expected 12+ goals per game. Not getting even close.Big assumptions... if Marr was canned.. that Syracuse would want him or had room for him... or that kids that began their careers already in Albany would want to make a switch, or if Syracuse would want them.

The b-ball coach hasn't performed exceptionally well either, and he just announced a contract extension.

As of late, I'm not getting much inside info on the program... so who knows what is happening and why.

Let's face it, maybe the talent level isn't there. The Defense? Where's the high powered scoring that was advertised?

Advertised from outside sources of course, because I never hear a word about the program through Marr.

Edited by uofalbany

America East 9-36. Once considered one of the premiere lacrosse leagues. What is the league and UA in particular doing WRONG? All opinions and ideas welcomed.

I don't think AE was ever more than the fifh-best league anyway, but formation of Big East pushed us further from the top. The MAAC is now at or near full scholarship, which not only makes them better (Siena has already beaten Hartford and Stony Brook) but also thins the pool of scholarship-level recruits, as does the addition of a few new teams lately. America East may be hurt more by this - top recruits will still go to Princeton or Syracuse, but other players don't see much difference between AE, MAAC, and NEC schools.

As for Albany, we actually were even with Bucknell in faceoffs, but groundballs and defense are still a problem - maybe the defense is just slow. Marr used to say if you got athletes you could teach them lax skills, but that doesn't seem to be working in either part now.

The Thompsons were supposed to be these tremendous recruits, but I haven't seen results yet. Sometimes watching them trying to get a shot off looks like Suero driving the lane one on four.

America East 9-36. Once considered one of the premiere lacrosse leagues. What is the league and UA in particular doing WRONG? All opinions and ideas welcomed.

I don't think AE was ever more than the fifh-best league anyway, but formation of Big East pushed us further from the top. The MAAC is now at or near full scholarship, which not only makes them better (Siena has already beaten Hartford and Stony Brook) but also thins the pool of scholarship-level recruits, as does the addition of a few new teams lately. America East may be hurt more by this - top recruits will still go to Princeton or Syracuse, but other players don't see much difference between AE, MAAC, and NEC schools.

As for Albany, we actually were even with Bucknell in faceoffs, but groundballs and defense are still a problem - maybe the defense is just slow. Marr used to say if you got athletes you could teach them lax skills, but that doesn't seem to be working in either part now.

The Thompsons were supposed to be these tremendous recruits, but I haven't seen results yet. Sometimes watching them trying to get a shot off looks like Suero driving the lane one on four.

72, excellent overall assessment, especially your comparison Suero & Thompsons. As far as only being the fifth best league, I read on inside lacrosse that the am.east is the only league in history to send four different teams to the elite 8 (UA, SB, UMBC and maybe bingo years back? and the only league to send 3 different teams to the final four {UA, SB and UMBC}. I may have this somewhat wrong or remember the article incorrectly (I never researched it); but clearly Inside lacrosse thought very highly of the america east. Anyhow, I guess the league has/will slip in their estimation as other leagues, as you say appear to be catching up.

Albany's never been in the final four. The article may have been saying how balanced the league was in that nobody dominated year after year, but how many times has AE gotten an at-large? That's what would indicate 'depth' of the league in any given year.