UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

University President

uofalbany

• 5 months later...

UAlbany finalists revealed - T-U story today. Unofficial list of nine candidates, some have been interviewed this week.

The finalists:

Susan Phillips, UAlbany's provost and vice president for academic affairs;

Robert Palazzo, former Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute provost;

Carlos Santiago, chief executive officer of the Hispanic College Fund and a former UAlbany provost;

Bjong Wolf Yeigh, president of the State University of New York Institute of Technology in Utica and Morrisville State College;

David Wilson, president of Morgan State University;

John Roberts, dean of University of Houston's College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences;

Valeria Hardcastle, dean of the McMicken College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Cincinnati;

Carlo Montemagno, dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Cincinnati;

Steve Ballard, chancellor of East Carolina University.

Looking strictly from an athletics point of view..Chancellor Ballard at East Carolina is interesting. ECU is an FBS school (C-USA)..with a 50,000 seat football stadium.

Ballard actually played baseball for Arizona and reached the CWS in 1970. He's been at DI institutions basically his entire life, studying at Arizona, Ohio State and Oklahoma.

His working career includes:

Provost, Academic Affairs University of Missouri-Kansas City

Vice Provost for Research and Dean of the Graduate College, Bowling Green State University, 1998-June 2001.

Founding Director, Margaret Chase Smith Center for Public Policy, University of Maine, 1989-1998.

Director, University of Maine System/State Government Partnership Program, 1990-1992.

Chair, Department of Public Administration, University of Maine, 1991-1994.

Director, Science and Public Policy Program and Professor of Political Science, University of Oklahoma, 1987-1989.

Associate Director, Science and Public Policy Program, University of Oklahoma, 1978-1987

*All info from Wiki

Edited by Phoenix

Amen Phoenix....please let us get someone who can break through the "Smallbany" mentality.

Most of the candidates have some sort of science/engineering background though, which I wouldn't be surprised to see as the #1 criteria.

UAlbany finalists revealed - T-U story today. Unofficial list of nine candidates, some have been interviewed this week.

The finalists:

Carlos Santiago, chief executive officer of the Hispanic College Fund and a former UAlbany provost;

Bjong Wolf Yeigh, president of the State University of New York Institute of Technology in Utica and Morrisville State College;

John Roberts, dean of University of Houston's College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences;

Valeria Hardcastle, dean of the McMicken College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Cincinnati;

Carlo Montemagno, dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Cincinnati;

I saw this story last night and thought the same thing. Ballard from ECU is our best bet. Once again, this is from an athletics perspective. He stands alone as a LIKELY pro-athletic candidate... of course there are no guarantees.

My question is who is LIKELY to be anti-athletic? Again, no guarantees unless the person was very vocal at the last university or shut down programs etc. Since I don't personally know these people or plan to run my own search my mind goes to generalizations... candidates from small liberal arts colleges, D3 or no-football schools, humanities etc.

The finalists:

I saw this story last night and thought the same thing. Ballard from ECU is our best bet. Once again, this is from an athletics perspective. He stands alone as a LIKELY pro-athletic candidate... of course there are no guarantees.

My question is who is LIKELY to be anti-athletic? Again, no guarantees unless the person was very vocal at the last university or shut down programs etc. Since I don't personally know these people or plan to run my own search my mind goes to generalizations... candidates from small liberal arts colleges, D3 or no-football schools, humanities etc.

SoCal - check your PM - I have some gear to send you.

It's interesting to see the break down of candidates. Half the candidates have serious science backgrounds and half do not. The Nano College is so huge and we have a growing life sciences field that I think we must have someone with a science background. My fear is if we get a liberal arts candidate for president then eventually we lose CNSE and all that goes with it (our claim to fame). The SVP at CNSE starts lobbying that the CNSE needs to be its own institution. We can't have a science newbie running a $16B nano mega complex. Someone will take it away from UA if we're that silly.

My 2 Cents

1) Steve Ballard (athletics choice, number 1 by far... ECU, former college athlete, etc. This is a sports board after all)

sports aside, my preference is science...

2) Strong Science candidates (Carlo, Bjong, Robert)

3) I think our own Susan Phillips has been great. I think she is pro-athletics (at least not against it)

4) That leaves non-science candidates like Valerie, smaller schools like David from Morgan State (Carlos, David and Valerie)

Edited by SoCal_Dane

What's interesting to me, and as mentioned in the article, is that someone at UA leaked this information to the TU. The school no doubt wanted to keep this list under wraps as it could have negetive implications for those pursuing the job. The same thing happened during the last search and we all know how that turned out (all of the candidates dropped out).

Now SUNY-IT is denying that its President is up for the UA gig. This is troubling.

http://www.uticaod.com/latestnews/x2008361953/SUNYIT-President-Yeigh-not-candidate-for-UAlbany-top-job

I hope we don't have a repeat of the last presidential search, and I hope the school identifies who is leaking this information.

What's interesting to me, and as mentioned in the article, is that someone at UA leaked this information to the TU. The school no doubt wanted to keep this list under wraps as it could have negetive implications for those pursuing the job. The same thing happened during the last search and we all know how that turned out (all of the candidates dropped out).

Now SUNY-IT is denying that its President is up for the UA gig. This is troubling.

http://www.uticaod.com/latestnews/x2008361953/SUNYIT-President-Yeigh-not-candidate-for-UAlbany-top-job

I hope we don't have a repeat of the last presidential search, and I hope the school identifies who is leaking this information.

I haven't read the article, so assuming its correct, it happened AGAIN?

Does this kind of nonsense happen elsewhere? Leaking a candidates complete list to the newspaper?

Edited by uofalbany

Looks like two of the people on the list have stated they aren't in the running...

Susan Phillips, UAlbany’s provost and vice president for academic affairs; and

(PhD student at Nano, involved w/ UA...etc)

I haven't read the article, so assuming its correct, it happened AGAIN?

Does this kind of nonsense happen elsewhere? Leaking a candidates complete list to the newspaper?

Can't assume it was because it was leaked. Could be that the list wasn't actually up to date/official list...especially because it wasn't actually vetted through their PR office.

Edited by MsGDG

Looks like two of the people on the list have stated they aren't in the running...

Susan Phillips, UAlbany’s provost and vice president for academic affairs; and

(PhD student at Nano, involved w/ UA...etc)

That stinks because those two represent two of the better candidates. I hope we don't get stuck with a non-science, small college candidate. This should not be on the job training.

The information is getting out somehow. Whether its official or unofficial, whether the names are all accurate,

nothing should be getting out at all. It's not some bozo at $iena breaking in and sending the info to the TU. It's

coming from the university somewhere. Too funny how the TU would publish it. You'd think they'd want

to do what's best for the city of albany and the major university supporting the city. They are all too happy publishing it.

Smalbany at its best?

Edited by uofalbany