UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

AE Tourney

MRSGDG

The real coming out party was the effort and athleticism of Tanner Gibson. He is, i think, a great successor to Mike Black all because of his play in the AE tourney. - alexfamous

Remember Gibson was going to be redshirted and didn't appear at all early in the season until Hooley was declared out for the year with a foot injury. He very well could be Black's successor. He is physically strong (I hear he is a monster in the weight room) don't be decieved by his size, very athletic (CB said earlier in the year that he may be the best athlete on the team) and appears to be very confident on the floor.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough game to swallow..but I thought both teams played at an extremely high level. We were decimated on the boards..but it seemed as though part of the game plan was to focus on shooting instead of rebounding. The Devlin injury probably forced our hand a bit there..but Coach Brown had Guerrier or Rowley at the 4. Guerrier might be the team's best shooter and Rowley has shown some athletic moves around the hoop for an undersized 4. We probably could've ended up with a closer to even rebounding margin with Puk and Metcalf on the floor at the same time..but then that would've only left 2 or 3 shooters/scorers on the floor for us. I think it was an aggressive game plan by Coach Brown that very nearly paid off.

I agree that we seem to be a big body guy away from being a complete team. Doesn't necessarily need to be another center..but maybe someone in the 6'6"-6'8" range who has some weight and is tough to push around down low.

Would love to see the team get an invite to either the CBI (16 teams) or the CIT (24 teams). Obviously our RPI isn't the greatest..but any bubble team will either be going to the NCAAs or the NIT..and 40 more teams after that will play in the other two tournaments. I think the big variable is Suero. He's one of the more exciting offensive players in the country and is a BCS-level type talent. Based on information on those tournament websites..they like to tout how many teams from their tournaments ended up in the NCAAs the next year. I'd guess we..along with Vermont..will be the pre-season picks headed into next season..so that may provide additional support for our chances. Also interesting to note..Suero was/is nominated for the Lou Henson Award for Top Mid-Major player in the country..an award given out by College Insider..the same people who run the CIT. The report of a CBI representative being at our win over UNH shows we're on the radar. I'm sure it can't hurt that Suero put in a great performance on Saturday in front of that representative.

I hope they get a chance to keep playing. The only thing I was wondering is if the school will pay for the teams travel as I do not believe these tournaments pay for it.

Will is ready to walk if they won't pay for travel :)

"@AndrewSantillo Just spoke with Will Brown who said team would walk to postseason game if they had to - he expects to hear by tomorrow if Danes are invited"

This was a no-win proposition for me...I guess the lesser of the two evils won. Now the maple-drinkers are going to be an even bigger collection of smug ****'s. But 5-10 for UVM (NCAA appearances) certainly does make them the flagship basketball program in the AE.

SBU came up small again...senior laden, tons of depth, at home and they come up lame like this. LOL...Evil Empire I guess needs a bit more seasoning. This was their best chance, they lose a number of key pieces (Joyner/Dougher...etc). Going to be tougher for them next year trying to get their first dance.

UA, still the only SUNY to go dancing....

This was a no-win proposition for me...I guess the lesser of the two evils won. Now the maple-drinkers are going to be an even bigger collection of smug ****'s. But 5-10 for UVM (NCAA appearances) certainly does make them the flagship basketball program in the AE.

SBU came up small again...senior laden, tons of depth, at home and they come up lame like this. LOL...Evil Empire I guess needs a bit more seasoning. This was their best chance, they lose a number of key pieces (Joyner/Dougher...etc). Going to be tougher for them next year trying to get their first dance.

UA, still the only SUNY to go dancing....

They will be middle of the pack at best next year.

Archived