UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

CAA looking for two full members?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure it will be posted when we (read never) hear.

Come on, do you guys really think something of that magnitude will be leaked. There are major legal ramifications with this stuff.

Let's not get too excited...I dont foresee any movement in the near future.

These CBS reports are stating that the schools have been in informal talks with the A10 and the SunBelt.

If they can be talking, why couldn't the CAA be talking as well? Legal ramifications for whom and for what?

That's a whole nother ballgame. I just want to see the shovels hitting the ground for the stadium.

How is it Georgia State goes from no football program to the CAA and then before playing a single game to FBS? Same general story for UNC Charlotte and South Florida.

UAlbany is attacked for building a one sided "stadium" with 4,000 seats. The contrast, the double standard is crazy. Even Stony Brook is now playing Syracuse and Army and we're playing St Francis.

I guess I still don't understand why even the slightest progress at UAlbany is a struggle and other universities can just jump right into the mainstream of college football (CAA or FBS).

Is the Capital District market too small for other leagues to care about? Is the area to liberal and opposed to college athletics? Do people in the Capital District dislike football and basketball? Clearly there is something different about the Capital District from the rest of the country. UAlbany is a 'University Center' in the largest state university in the country. Much more significant than Georgia State or UNCC... but you wouldn't know that by looking at our athletics. The Big East looks past the largest state university in the country sitting right in their backyard to invite San Diego State? I'm at a loss for words.

Can someone explain the disparity, contrast etc?

Edited by SoCal_Dane

Is the area to liberal and opposed to college athletics?

I know this is probably a rhetorical question..but I still don't get it? I've seen it mentioned a couple times on this board. Am I the only one who hasn't heard this stance? It's just as much a misguided broad stroke to say it's conservatives who are creating the noise because they don't want any extra penny of tax money to pay for something that isn't completely necessary to minimally function as a government/society.

I think..at the basic level..it's probably mostly geographic. GSU, UNCC and USF are all southern schools where football is king..and a given.

Edited by Phoenix

I don't think geography explains it all. Stony Brook, UConn and other northern schools have much less resistance than the constant push back that UAlbany faces. There is something 'special' in the area that make people resistant in a way you dont see elsewhere.

SBU = Sen. LaValle

I'm not sure UConn and UAlbany are too analogous is this situation. UConn's the clear (large) solo flagship university in the state and had been a DI institution for more than 50 years before they transitioned to FBS.

And just because progress was made..doesn't mean there wasn't push back from people who disagreed.

Edited by Phoenix

How is it Georgia State goes from no football program to the CAA and then before playing a single game to FBS? Same general story for UNC Charlotte and South Florida.

UAlbany is attacked for building a one sided "stadium" with 4,000 seats. The contrast, the double standard is crazy. Even Stony Brook is now playing Syracuse and Army and we're playing St Francis.

I guess I still don't understand why even the slightest progress at UAlbany is a struggle and other universities can just jump right into the mainstream of college football (CAA or FBS).

Is the Capital District market too small for other leagues to care about? Is the area to liberal and opposed to college athletics? Do people in the Capital District dislike football and basketball? Clearly there is something different about the Capital District from the rest of the country. UAlbany is a 'University Center' in the largest state university in the country. Much more significant than Georgia State or UNCC... but you wouldn't know that by looking at our athletics. The Big East looks past the largest state university in the country sitting right in their backyard to invite San Diego State? I'm at a loss for words.

Can someone explain the disparity, contrast etc?

LEADERSHIP. Period.

McElroy is useless...and the death of Kermit Hall sent us spiraling. Pres P came in and turned it around quick...hopefully the new one continues. McElroy is not a visionary in the sense of knowing how to scale and get your prize.

LEADERSHIP. Period.

McElroy is useless...and the death of Kermit Hall sent us spiraling. Pres P came in and turned it around quick...hopefully the new one continues. McElroy is not a visionary in the sense of knowing how to scale and get your prize.

I think this best explains it. And the only reason SBU has made any steps is because LaValle funneled every cent he could into the university.

Although SUNY has never much cared on making NY nationally competitive on the athletics side of things. Buffalo has been a joke at the top level.

I think this best explains it. And the only reason SBU has made any steps is because LaValle funneled every cent he could into the university. Although SUNY has never much cared on making NY nationally competitive on the athletics side of things. Buffalo has been a joke at the top level.

MAC East Co-Champs in '07, outright East and MAC champs in '08 beating a ranked Ball St team, finally putting players in the NFL and getting even-term scheduling deals with AQ programs. There are a few MAC squads and other non-AQ schools who haven't sniffed similar conference success as we have since we returned to the top level. But it didn't happen sooner for us because of what was mentioned, leadership. Moving up when we were not financially prepared, 2 average AD's and 2 bad FBS HC's. Enter a new president, hiring a talented AD in Warde Manuel who hires a motivating coach in Gill and they both show it is not impossible to compete at Buffalo.

You gotta give Fiore credit as well, as much of a blowhard as he is. He walked in step with past and current SBU leaders with a vision that they should be competing at the level of their AAU peers as best they can while taking the proper FCS baby-steps that UB stepped over too quickly a decade earlier. SUNY Central may not care about funding athletics at each SUNY unit, but they don't hold the units back, either. If you have the pols and private funds on your side any Unit, even the D-3 schools, can assend however they like.

Edited by UBBulls