UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

CAA looking for two full members?

If there was ever a time we've had strong enough a hand to court the CAA, it's now.

Coach FORD, a new stadium going up, Nano, school of business, expansions all over.....

Anyone have sbu stats of America East championships?

I'd like to compare their athletic successes to ours.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was ever a time we've had strong enough a hand to court the CAA, it's now.

Coach FORD, a new stadium going up, Nano, school of business, expansions all over.....

Don't get bogged down in athletic success.

Expansions right now are driven by media market access and institutional fit.

Institutional fit is an issue for SBU because Hofstra may try and block them.

We lack the Media Market that SBU has.

I can't help but think...we need to be careful of what we wish for. Recent news coming out regarding CAA academic woes as well as schools actively trying to leave will weaken the CAA.

Good summary of the CAA by aceinthehole on AGS

Assuming VCU and ODU do bolt for other conferences, the CAA will be down to 9 teams in hoops/olympic and 8 teams for football. It makes a whole lot of sense that the CAA will need just one school that sponsors football to even up the scheduling for both sports.

- 10 basketball teams allows a balanced 18-game round-robin home/away schedule.

- 9 football teams allows the league to have a complete 8-game round-robin schedule.

CAA

Delaware (FB)

Drexel

George Mason

Hofstra

UNC-Wilimngton

James Madison (FB)

Northeastern

Towson (FB)

William & Mary (FB)

+ CAA Football

Maine

New Hampshire

Richmond

Villanova

So the question becomes - who is likely to be the CAA's next member - Coastal Carolina, Stony Brook, or another candidate?

My question is whether the CAA adds 3 schools to protect itself against two more schools leaving in the future (e.g., JMU and Delaware).

What's the best route for UA to get to full scholly?

Join CAA football at the minimum?

Creation of America East full scholly football?

Somehow forcing the NEC to allow UA to max out?

Big South football?

Go Independent?

Wherever Stony Brook ends up. The playoff game last year solidified what we are missing from our football program that will draw in students and alumni. A rival.

We need to hate someone again in football. Right now we don't really hate anyone.

Case in point:

... The University at Albany owes Stony Brook. More than one of the Great Danes' sports teams have seen their season end at the hands of the Seawolves from Long Island. The football team lost to Stony Brook in the NCAA playoffs; the men's basketball team lost to the Seawolves in the America East quarterfinals; the men's lacrosse team got beat in the America East championship game; the softball team lost in the first round of the league tournament Friday to the Seawolves; and the men's soccer team lost in the America East semifinals. The women's lacrosse team carried the Great Danes' flag as they beat Stony Brook in the America East title game to get to the NCAA Tournament, but I bet there will be plenty of UAlbany athletes who can't wait to get a shot at their downstate rivals next season.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Whitney-Gala-a-casualty-all-because-of-Wilkin-3554500.php#ixzz1usFyuqjE

Too bad we won't get a chance in football next year.

Why these two schools?

Are they both publicly voicing their desire to join the CAA? I know bloggers have opinions but...

I know the names have been floating around, but I haven't really paid much

attention on why they'd be offered positions besides sbu & NY's media market, although it is over an hour away.. farther away than Hofstra.

As for CC, which media market would be making them attractive? Charelston or Columbia aren't very close.

Edited by uofalbany

Word from Twitter is that ODU to CUSA is going to be announced today as well.

That means the CAA is definitely going to need to add at least one full sport member and based on previous statements from the Commissioner, would probably look to add 3.