UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

CAA looking for two full members?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone from the UAlbany community EVER expressed publicly, in any sense, that we would be interested in the CAA?

Besides us people.....?

Not that I have seen.

I have seen public expressions of hopes for a football conference with a lot of the same teams. It was just under the umbrella of AEast Football. Not CAA management. That was also when there was no CAA football.

Best-case scenario for us:

CAA adds - Stony Brook, Albany, Maine and UNH from the AEast, Coastal Carolina from the Big South, and Davidson and App State from the SoCon.

That would leave the CAA all-sports conference like this:

CAA Olympic Sports

Delaware

Drexel

George Mason

Hofstra

UNC-Wilimngton

James Madison

Northeastern

Towson

William & Mary

Maine

New Hampshire

Albany

Stony Brook

Coastal Carolina

Davidson

Appalachain State :blink:

CAA Football

North

Delaware

Maine

New Hampshire

Albany

Stony Brook

Villanova

South

James Madison

Towson

William & Mary

Coastal Carolina

Richmond

Appalachian St

8 conference games with 5 set every year based on division and the other 3 rotating.

We are with our peer schools and the northern schools will not have huge travel budget hits.

Edited by danefan

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7941382/old-dominion-monarchs-leaving-colonial-athletic-association-conference-usa

The CAA, which is expected to pursue Charleston and Davidson out of the Southern Conference and possibly Boston University and/or Stony Brook out of the America East, will be left with Drexel, George Mason, Delaware, Northeastern, James Madison, UNC Wilmington, William and Mary, Hofstra and Towson in 2013.

No clue where ESPN gets its info from. Only time will tell.

Has anyone from the UAlbany community EVER expressed publicly, in any sense, that we would be interested in the CAA?

Besides us people.....?

Not that I have seen.

I have seen public expressions of hopes for a football conference with a lot of the same teams. It was just under the umbrella of AEast Football. Not CAA management. That was also when there was no CAA football.

Are the chances of America East adding football looking any better now? I gotta believe those discussions have been ramped up in light of what is going on in the CAA.

Besides us people.....?

Not that I have seen.

Are the chances of America East adding football looking any better now? I gotta believe those discussions have been ramped up in light of what is going on in the CAA.

I can't figure out whats going on really. Teams that have no FBS aspirations or ability are not really having a say in what happens right now so I don't think AEast football has much footing.

If the A10 is going to be the "basketball" conference and CAA is going to be the FCS football conference I wonder where this leaves someone like Duqeunse? Dukes are A10 in most sports and NEC in football. Almost seems like they would fit in the CAA.

If the A10 is going to be the "basketball" conference and CAA is going to be the FCS football conference I wonder where this leaves someone like Duqeunse? Dukes are A10 in most sports and NEC in football. Almost seems like they would fit in the CAA.

It would make a whole lot of sense for the A10, CAA and AEast football playing schools to be in one conference.

Atlantic Division

Rhode Island

Duquesne

Dayton

Fordham

Richmond

James Madison

William & Mary

Colonial Division

Towson

Albany

Stony Brook

UNH

Maine

Delaware

Villanova

The problem is that each of those schools have varying degrees of commitment to FCS football.

The most stability will come from a conference that has no affiliates. All sport members with like minded goals.

Edited by danefan

Some schools in the CAA are starting to reaffirm their committment.

JMU

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4500950

"Although James Madison University is disappointed in these decisions, we continue to support the CAA and the values for which it stands. There are numerous examples of CAA schools whose values closely align with those of JMU. This list includes, among others, such institutions as William & Mary, Delaware and George Mason. These are schools with which we choose to be aligned because they share our commitment to academics and excellence in all sports, not just one or two.

"James Madison University is extremely proud of its comprehensive commitment to all of its student-athletes, athletic programs and fans. The conference realignment discussion for some schools has focused on particular sports and in doing so does a disservice to the other student-athletes, athletic programs and the fans. JMU has and always will take a holistic view of its athletic programs. This philosophy is evident in JMU's balanced investments in facilities, scholarship and opportunities. In addition, JMU's holistic view of athletics has positioned our student-athletes to be successful in the classroom, in life and on the field. This success is clearly seen in the very high graduation rate numbers.

"The conference now finds itself in the position of adding new member institutions that share the values and commitments of the current members. The CAA commissioner, Tom Yeager, has been working to develop a roster of institutional prospects. As one can imagine, these are delicate and complex issues that require some time to process before public disclosure. We will do our best to communicate to our fans at the appropriate time regarding an expanded membership."

Delaware's statement (much different than JMU)

http://blogs.delawareonline.com/collegesports/2012/05/17/ud-rival-old-dominion-makes-move-to-c-usa-fbs/

In statement released by Delaware, UD athletic director Bernard Muir said he and university president Patrick Harker “are leading an internal team that has been engaged in a thorough evaluation of the evolving conference realignments and the implications for our student-athletes and the university.”

Muir would not comment beyond the statement, but The News Journal has learned high-ranking UD officials have at least discussed the possibility of moving the Blue Hens to the FBS.

“Obviously, we approach this process carefully and methodically and are working to appropriately assess all options before arriving at a decision,” Muir said.

“This due diligence process requires time to compile and review historical conference data, assess financial and personnel information, understand NCAA, conference and legal implications as well as appropriate potential transition plans and to make a recommendation to the UD Board of Trustees.”