UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

CAA looking for two full members?

Kind of OT but keep an eye on RPI, they are exploring going D1.

It will take them 6 years or so to make the jump. They have to go DII and than DI. They're a perfect fit for the Patriot League.

Yes they are...but Patriot won't let NJIT in...also a very good school.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of OT but keep an eye on RPI, they are exploring going D1.

It will take them 6 years or so to make the jump. They have to go DII and than DI. They're a perfect fit for the Patriot League.

Yes they are...but Patriot won't let NJIT in...also a very good school.

NJIT is a decent school (ranked the same as UA in the National University rankings), but no where near RPI or Patriot League caliber. RPI is in the Top 50. NJIT was 138th

RPI...I have no fears of them DI

But it will also require them rebuilding Houston...that 1800 seat arena isn't even good for the PL (the new hoop gym). It would be the pits of the pits.

Edited by Dane96

Meh...the CAA with College of Charleston, Davidson and Coastal Carolina isn't exactly the same CAA all-sport conference we all wanted to join.

We just need to align with UNH, Maine and Stony Brook for football. IMO, our Olympic Sports are fine in the AEast for now.

Agreed! Just get Football out of the stinkin' NEC.

I've read dozens of stories. This is the first one to note Albany. I almost dropped my beer?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/may/22/tdsport01-could-vmi-be-a-compatible-consideration--ar-1932268/

CAA Football initially is likely to look north, to perhaps Stony Brook or Albany, for FCS programs that could ease the travel requirements of CAA Football members Maine and New Hampshire. Stony Brook and Albany in sports other than football belong to the America East Conference, which includes UNH and Maine. For football, Stony Brook belongs to the Big South and Albany is in the Northeast Conference. Monmouth, of the NEC, also is a possibility.

I've read dozens of stories. This is the first one to note Albany. I almost dropped my beer?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/may/22/tdsport01-could-vmi-be-a-compatible-consideration--ar-1932268/

CAA Football initially is likely to look north, to perhaps Stony Brook or Albany, for FCS programs that could ease the travel requirements of CAA Football members Maine and New Hampshire. Stony Brook and Albany in sports other than football belong to the America East Conference, which includes UNH and Maine. For football, Stony Brook belongs to the Big South and Albany is in the Northeast Conference. Monmouth, of the NEC, also is a possibility.

If CAA Football expands North, thy cannot ignore us.

UA, Stony Brook and maybe Fordham are the only real expansion candiidates North.

I think it's safe to say we aren't an all sports candidate at this point. But I still hold out hope for a Football affiliate membership.

UA, Stony Brook and maybe Fordham are the only real expansion candiidates North.

I think it's safe to say we aren't an all sports candidate at this point. But I still hold out hope for a Football affiliate membership.

See, that's what I don't get...we are a more accomplished program even this year...look at the commissioner cup standings. We would instantly become one of their bigger markets if they want a market. What has SBU done?

Alot of good comments here. I can't see how the CAA can overlook both UAlbany and Stony Brook.

Both big state universities of NY and both already affiliated with UNH and Maine. It just makes sense.

It also makes sense that they expand in the north, to accomodate UNH and Maine, and keep them happy.

It would also make our rivalries with those two schools, and SBU, more intense. If UAlbany's leadership

is not pushing for this, then they aren't worth their salt. I'd think that UNH and Maine would also be pulling

for both of our schools to be offered.

See, that's what I don't get...we are a more accomplished program even this year...look at the commissioner cup standings. We would instantly become one of their bigger markets if they want a market. What has SBU done?

What has SBU done? They have ambition. They have facilities. They have stability in administration and legislative support. They also have NYC.

We have none of the above.

The only thing we have is Bob Ford and success on the field in one of the lowest overall conferences in the country.

Coach Ford may be enough to get us a football invite. Success in the AEast will not be enough to get an all-sports invite.

Yah...huge potential news according to ACE (I cannot watch youtube at work).

Yes' date=' they talked about keeping existing members, expanding to new members, and potential increases to the scholly limit. [/b']Lots of talk at the meetings - they are closely monitoring the current situation, but they haven't tipped their hat at all.

I have no problem staying where we are in the NEC and AE if the NEC gets to counter status. NONE AT ALL!!!

Who the new members may be is really interesting.

Edited by Dane96

What jumped out at me was:

"whether we want to increase that number down the road, or whether that's a good comfortable number for us"

talking about scholarships reaching 40 for the 2013 season.

Sounds like they aren't dedicated to fully scholly football. Maybe they'll reach 60 by 2080

Edited by uofalbany

No...that is smart wily veteran AD speak for:

We have these schools (Albany/CCSU/Monmouth) for increasing.

We have these schools (St. Francis/Sacred Heart) against, and they are full members of our NEC all-sport.

We have these schools in between (the rest).

He may also be trying to figure out if Wagner can afford to keep up with the Jones'.