UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked before but never got an answer, did we make concessions to the stadium design to get this phase up now? Can we still build out to 24,000 seats or did we cut corners so this would no longer be possible? Conceptional design versus actual design. I'm not criticizng just curious.

I noticed on Wikipedia someone greatly reduced the stadium's possible expansion size. Is it really capped at 15,000? Is the actual design so far off the conceptual design?

-------------------------------------

Bob Ford Field and move to CAA

On April 17, 2012, the university broke ground on a new multi-sport complex that would be available for use beginning in Fall 2013. Along with a complex that will be the new home for football and soccer, a new track will be created on the current football field, University Field. The plans to build the stadium were revealed in the summer of 2011. The new stadium, which the field will be named Bob Ford Field, will hold initially 6,000. However, the stadium will be built so future expansion can take place upwards to 10,000 to 15,000.

It was announced on August 7, 2012 that beginning in 2013, the football program would accept an increase in scholarships and move out of the Northeast Conference and into the Colonial Athletic Association. Stony Brook, a former Northeast Conference rival, would also be making the move with them.

To be clear my question is asking can we get to 24,000 as designed without a lot of rework or added costs. I understand anything is posible with enough money and time. The question is about the current design.

I've asked this a number of times...either it's an unknown or not allowed to be made public. Perhaps Brutus can answer this question...

The backhoes are digging a trench for another wall at field level; the finished wall we see will be in the middle of the grandstand (or the base of the suite/press structure). So from the drawing in post #256, the finished wall is in the middle, and the one with the red arrow is going in now.

The south end wall has also been started.

There's also a lot of bundles of rebar scattered over the field. Looks like there might be a lot more visible progress soon.

Edited by UAalum72

Looking at the attached drawing, it would appear that the eight recesses in the wall are where the stairs would go for fans to get to and from their seats in the lower deck.

This is starting to get really entertaining to watch.

For the Monmouth tailgate/game there is going to be some real progress.

seview.png

Edited by haggyland

So the wall we see on the webcam is the back of the lower bowl then, which would explain the eight recessions for the eight aisles.

The forms coming in behind it are the base of the tower. According to the drawings, columns for the bottom of the upper level would need to be set between the wall and the foundation for the tower, leaving room between them as a walking area for fans.

Now it looks like they are building the south wall (the crane was placing the forms.) Right?

Edited by haggyland