UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brutus, you seem like a knowledgeable guy. Quick question, what's a ball park number to complete the lower bowl with permanent seats? $10M or so?

The stadium portion itself is roughly $13-14M - right on the budget estimates prepared by Heery.

That's an extra $13M to $14M to finish it off, correct? That seems pretty reasonable especially if it can be done in sections... say $5M spread over three phases.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brutus, you seem like a knowledgeable guy. Quick question, what's a ball park number to complete the lower bowl with permanent seats? $10M or so?

The stadium portion itself is roughly $13-14M - right on the budget estimates prepared by Heery.

That's an extra $13M to $14M to finish it off, correct? That seems pretty reasonable especially if it can be done in sections... say $5M spread over three phases.

I may be speaking out of turn...but I think you guys may be missing each other on comments.

SoCal wanted to know how much it would take to put in permanent seats on the East (temp side), North (student grass berm), and south sides of the Stadium to complete the LOWER BOWL. Brutus, I think, answered $13 to $14m...but I think that is what was the estimate to complete the CURRENT deliverables for the stadium.

I highly doubt to complete the stadium, which would require: more concessions on the East Side, more bathrooms on the East side, a second level of club boxes/seating/suites on the west side, upper decks on the East, North and South Sides, lower bowls on the East, North and South Sides, electrical throughout, sound system additions for speakers on the finished product, and more than likely the movement of the scoreboard to above the stadium or in the corners, related punch list items and related landscaping would come to a mere $13-$14 million.

I gave an estimate somewhere on this board based on the numbers we have seen, plus the costs for ancillary stuff such as signage, lettering, carpet, etc. I think to finish the lower bowl itself, if all the conduit is indeed laid now for both plumbing and electrical, would be likely 2-3 million per end zone...and 4-6 million for the East side (without new bathrooms or concessions, which wouldn't have to be built until the upper deck is put down.

So...lower bowl alone would be $8-12 million...and that's without a field house and lockerooms. My guess is any lockerroom facility, training room, etc. would be placed in the South endzone or the East side...but likely the south.

Upper decks with concessions, bathrooms, etc...would probably be another $8-14 million...and the athletics building probably at least another 3-8 million depending on how high tech the training and meeting rooms are, e.g. in-ground whirlpools, hyperbaric chambers, high tech computer imaging for meetings, x-ray facility, etc.

My guess is that to complete the stadium on the cheap would cost around $18-21 million dollars. High end $27-$34 million.

Edited by Dane96

I may be speaking out of turn...but I think you guys may be missing each other on comments.

SoCal wanted to know how much it would take to put in permanent seats on the East (temp side), North (student grass berm), and south sides of the Stadium to complete the LOWER BOWL. Brutus, I think, answered $13 to $14m...but I think that is what was the estimate to complete the CURRENT deliverables for the stadium.

I highly doubt to complete the stadium, which would require: more concessions on the East Side, more bathrooms on the East side, a second level of club boxes/seating/suites on the west side, upper decks on the East, North and South Sides, lower bowls on the East, North and South Sides, electrical throughout, sound system additions for speakers on the finished product, and more than likely the movement of the scoreboard to above the stadium or in the corners, related punch list items and related landscaping would come to a mere $13-$14 million.

I gave an estimate somewhere on this board based on the numbers we have seen, plus the costs for ancillary stuff such as signage, lettering, carpet, etc. I think to finish the lower bowl itself, if all the conduit is indeed laid now for both plumbing and electrical, would be likely 2-3 million per end zone...and 4-6 million for the East side (without new bathrooms or concessions, which wouldn't have to be built until the upper deck is put down.

So...lower bowl alone would be $8-12 million...and that's without a field house and lockerooms. My guess is any lockerroom facility, training room, etc. would be placed in the South endzone or the East side...but likely the south.

Upper decks with concessions, bathrooms, etc...would probably be another $8-14 million...and the athletics building probably at least another 3-8 million depending on how high tech the training and meeting rooms are, e.g. in-ground whirlpools, hyperbaric chambers, high tech computer imaging for meetings, x-ray facility, etc.

My guess is that to complete the stadium on the cheap would cost around $18-21 million dollars. High end $27-$34 million.

Yes - I was referring to the current stadium configuration, no build-outs on the east, south or north sides. Sorry if I misunderstood the original question. Danes 96 has an accurate assessment on the costs for further expansion phases. Team/locker rooms are slated for behind the south endzone.

Edited by Brutus

No worries...and please keep the info coming.

So...(with a salesman's articulated delay)....are my numbers correct. ;)

I jest...no need to answer; it is fair to say to complete the stadium would require some serious funding however, if expansion is needed it means we are also generating serious money and losing out on potential revenue all the same.

EDIT: you edited and answered! Thanks.

Edited by Dane96

In a perfect world...we would expand in the following manner (my opinion):

1. VIP Box on the West Side (current tower structure). That would mean there is some serious demand for the private boxes/club seats and that is a HUGE revenue producer for the year. Figure 20k per box...another ten boxes and a club room. Pure revenue producer from a financial management perspective. You are still getting your money for the temp seats on the East side.

2. Upper and Lower Bowl on the West side: This would be an addition of approximately 2000-2500 tickets per event, plus increased of about $20,000 - $40,000 in per event concessions ($10-20 bucks per person per event). Figure a food cost/labor/electric/sanitation cost of 40-60% and that is an extra $8,000 - $16,000 dollars in revenue plus ticket sales per event.

Total capacity now at around 10,500 with support staff...maybe more dependent on the design of the upper deck on the East side.

3. Lower bowl and athletic buidling structure, e.g. team lockerrooms, training facility, meeting rooms on the South Side. That is an increase is a bit higher than the revenue same as above (around $10,000 - $18,000 per game plus ticket sales) because you are connecting the bowl on the lower level...probably totalling 2,500-3,000 new seats. Total capacity approximately 13,000-13,500.

4. Lower Bowl permanent seating on the Grass Berm and Upper deck and connector on the North End Zone. This could be around 4,000-4,500 seats if they wrap around in the upper deck(e.g. BBVA Compass or Stanford) or 3,500-4,000 seats if they do stand alone. No increase in lower bowl capacity. That is approximately another 16-33 thousand dollars plus ticket sales in revenue. Total capacity approximately 16,500-17,500.

5. Finish off the expansion with an upper deck on top of south endzone athletic building. Same revenue structure.

Total Capacity- 20,500-22,000

Total Revenue per season- $320,000 - $400,000 16 VIP boxes and additional club amenities and pricing structure (e.g. do you have to pay for concert tickets.

Ticket sales per football season (average $20 per game at 5 games per year x 20,000 paying customers)= $2,000,000

Concessions sales per football season (average $10-20 per person per game): $400,000 - $1,000,000

Revenue from concerts and other major events, which the school receives concessions and rental cost for indirect events, full profit from University run events: $1,000,000 -$3,000,000

Ancillary revenue (team store sales, parking)in a year (based on 20 calender events)- $1,200,000

Marketing Revenue- Unknown, but all wrap around signage, naming rights, video board ads, and other ads clearly increase because of the market reach potential. This effects TV and in-stadium values.

So...total revenues could come to something in the range of 6 - 9 million...with the only operating cost being accounted for is concessions. Other operating expenses would have to be taken out.

Even if net on this is 20% (that would be low in my experience), the school stands to profit a conservative estimate of 1.2-$1.8 million per year, which could then have a percentage funneled towards endowing scholarships over time...which would then allow for monies to be diverted in 10-20 years.

Yes...my application for future AD is in. ;)

Fine breakdown on the numbers 96, and thanks brutus for your input.

DF, agreed, the spring game would be a fine way to begin... afterall, it is basically

the early start to the season.

After this initial first stage is complete sometime over the next year, anyone have a guess on how

long it will take to begin a second phase?

Fine breakdown on the numbers 96, and thanks brutus for your input.

DF, agreed, the spring game would be a fine way to begin... afterall, it is basically

the early start to the season.

After this initial first stage is complete sometime over the next year, anyone have a guess on how

long it will take to begin a second phase?

How long will it take to be at 90% capacity every game? Take that time and add 2 years.

Edited by danefan

I live in Philadelphia and I am very curious and excited about the progression of Bob Ford Field. Since no one is updating on a weekly basis and UA has not set up any cams online to show the progression, How is the construction going?

Soil consolidation begins next week. It is my understanding that Athletics is working to get a webcam online which would be available on the Athletics website. No word yet as to the timeframe.

Project Update:

1. Wick-and-Fill installation starts on or about 05/16.

2. Surcharge of site follows - approx 12'-14' of soil added to the existing site to assist in compressing the existing soils and creating the site countours for the stadium structure to be built.

Edited by Brutus