UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Boston U to the Patriot League....for real

danefan

http://www.patriotleague.org/genrel/061512aab.html

CENTER VALLEY, Pa. - Boston University has formally accepted an invitation to join the Patriot League on July 1, 2013, for the 2013-14 academic year, Daniel H. Weiss, Chair of the Patriot League's Council of Presidents and President of Lafayette College announced Friday.

"Boston University is an outstanding addition to our membership as a private institution with a robust academic reputation and prolific athletic history," said Weiss. "This decision to add Boston University to the Patriot League mirrors the Presidents' commitment and vision to the stability and long-term positioning of the League."

Boston University will join American University, Bucknell University, Colgate University, The College of the Holy Cross, Lafayette College, Lehigh University, the United States Military Academy and the United States Naval Academy as full members in the Patriot League. In addition, Fordham University and Georgetown University are associate members for the sport of football, while Massachusetts Institute of Technology competes in the Patriot League as an associate member in women's rowing.

"We are very impressed by the academic quality of the institutions in the Patriot League and by the League's commitment to student-athletes while effectively competing at the NCAA Division I level," said Boston University President Robert A. Brown. "We believe that the philosophy of the League is a good match for Boston University and that the schools in the League will give our athletes a rich competitive environment."

The Patriot League was formed as an all-sport conference in 1990-91 after beginning as a football only conference (Colonial League) in 1986. Army, Bucknell, Colgate, Holy Cross, Lafayette and Lehigh are each founding members of the League. Navy joined the Patriot League for the 1991-92 academic year. American was the last full member to join the Patriot League (2001-02).

Boston University has enjoyed a remarkable recent history in numerous sports, including winning the Commissioner's Cup in the America East for each of the past seven years. During that time, the Terriers have won 40 America East Conference championships in 14 sports.

Boston University will join the Patriot League in the following sports; men and women's basketball, men and women's cross country and track and field, field hockey, women's golf, men and women's lacrosse, women's rowing, men and women's soccer, softball, men and women's swimming and diving and men and women's tennis.

"I am delighted to welcome Boston University to the Patriot League," Patriot League Executive Director Carolyn Schlie Femovich said. "Boston University has a strong tradition of excellence in academics and Division I athletics, both of which reflect the core values of the Patriot League. They will strengthen the League both in the classroom and on the field of play."

"This is a really unique opportunity for us to challenge ourselves," said Mike Lynch, Boston University Assistant Vice President and Director of Athletics. "We will be entering a league that embodies the ideal of valuing academics as the highest priority while sponsoring very competitive athletic programs. That is our commitment too."

Boston University is nationally ranked among the nation's premier academic institutions both within the undergraduate and graduate community. In addition, BU is also listed among the top global universities according to a variety of reports.

Click the end is near....we are in a conference that is not aggressive at all. Read the American East Commissioner's statement. Sorry, but it does not inspire me at all when you think that the most consistent performing school in the conference is leaving and the darling of the college sports world, Stony Brook, is probably right behind them.

Click the end is near....we are in a conference that is not aggressive at all. Read the American East Commissioner's statement. Sorry, but it does not inspire me at all when you think that the most consistent performing school in the conference is leaving and the darling of the college sports world, Stony Brook, is probably right behind them.

And our leadership has positioned us to go where?

Reading the America East board it seems Boston U fans didn't have an inkling BU was negotiating with the Patriot until it was announced. The same might be true in our case also if we're dealing with anyone.

No more tournaments in Boston - sux.

Edited by Dane Pound

and the next thing you'll hear is.......crickets......as no one has an answer!

Let me jst say that I HATE all this conference realignment happening throughout the country. IMHO, it's ruining the traditions that make college sports so great. That said, it is obviously not something that can be stopped at this point and our administration is not doing anything to position this school for the future. Total BS!

I'm losing all faith in our "leadership"

OK, I am probably way off base here; but head to head in any sport America East vs Patriot, AMEAST would dominate. As bad as the am east is, it seems to me Patriot is worse. I am not surprised that BU bolted the am east, but CAA or Atlantic 10 would seem more appropriate. Is the Patriot better than my assessment?????? Looking for some expert analysis here? BU may quick;y become the class of the league and I see why the league would want a team in Boston, but I do not see it really enhancing BU's athletics??????????????????

Even after AE's worst season in a long time, the PL was marginally better in men's basketball (22 vs. 29, with really very little difference betwenn 15 and 30), worse in women's, and slightly better in men's lacrosse. The rest, who cares.

I think they finally figured out they weren't going to get an invitation to the A-10, and prefer the academic prestige of the PL.

OK, I am probably way off base here; but head to head in any sport America East vs Patriot, AMEAST would dominate. As bad as the am east is, it seems to me Patriot is worse. I am not surprised that BU bolted the am east, but CAA or Atlantic 10 would seem more appropriate. Is the Patriot better than my assessment?????? Looking for some expert analysis here? BU may quick;y become the class of the league and I see why the league would want a team in Boston, but I do not see it really enhancing BU's athletics??????????????????

No one moves to the Patriot League to enhance athletics.

It offers two things no other conference (outside the Ivy League) could have offered to BU

1. Stability - the academic mission of the PL and the large endowments provide incredible stability by choice, not by default.

2. Academic prowess - the PL is second only to the Ivy in terms of private school academics.

I would have been overly joyed to be invited to the Patriot League.

Edited by danefan

Danefan, I am probably still way off base, but I simply I am NOT impressed with the academics in the Patriot. Maybe they have a lot of money and endowments, but other than the militaries and MIT (for rowing) and Georgetown (associate member), I'll keep my UA degrees over most of the other schools in the pat. I still do not see this league helping BU in any way????? The other way around for sure.

Second question--what does BU leaving do to championships in 2012 and how about compensation to the americaeast? Most leagues do not let lame duck teams compete for league champs and buyouts are usually huge (depending on the league I guess). All expert and non-expert opinions welcomed on all of the above????????