UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...you know what...we didn't play our best but...if you look at the box the story says differently. TOTAL DOMINATION.

Total yds- 428 to 202

First downs- 25 to 11

Third downs 11-18 to 4-15

Fourth downs 2-2 to 0-2

All in Albany's favor. The only area things changed the game were TO's...but that was a wash in the end as UA had 3 to Bryant's 1...but each had a TO leading to a score.

Reflecting...I think Dane fans were too hard on ourselves...and Bryant punched a bit higher than their weight. Taking away the TO's for scores...it's a 24-7 win at a stadium that had probably 500 people there (WHICH IS NO EXCUSE).

To me the most important stat- we shut down the NEC's top rusher and held him to 14 carries for 33 yards, and we shut down one of the best receivers who had 5 catches for 55 yards.

Good teams find ways to grind things out when they are not at their best. If they play like this next week...then I would start to question them. For me...they are the same team as I ranked last week.

NO.

I don't anticipate any love for the NEC conference. If we beat Stony Brook last year,

wonder how we'd be ranked now.

Seeing that the AGS ranks SBU at #10 or #12 after last week, how accurate is that ranking?

AGS seems to be the most accurate but.. and if they win all out, do they deserve a bye

Watched the game on tw3 and listened on WCDB (NEC announcers were too homey for me--like it or not UA a member {football} for what 8 years or more, they could/should have been a bit less biased)

Wind was a factor in all three missed field goals. The first was heading right down the middle and the wind simply carried it right. On the other two misses it seemed the kicker was trying to compensate and did not get a wind assist. The last he just booted it GOOOD!

The wind also was a factor in a number of wobbly and some over thrown passes. Good win overall. Some said it looked like Albany did not come to play and thought they would win just by showing up. I have a slightly different opinion; that the coaches and players going in simply gave Bryant too much credit and we at first were not playing with swagger and confidence. We were playing afraid to lose, instead of smash mouth UA football (especially the "O"). The "D" got going first and the offense got at it after the half.

They are doing a game for time warner in their area. I('m sure Rog and Zach sound like homers if another TW picks up our broadcast.

I wouldn't exactly call them homers because I don't believe any of them are affiliated with Bryant. I know Paul d'Latino is the beat guy for the giants and wfan. He's up in Albany for training camp every year. Andy gresh I've seen on Sny a few times as well. They did seem like they wanted to see Bryant win, but as someone who's neutral to both sides they'd probably want to see the underdog win.

Back from the game. A few thoughts before I watch the replay

1. Was Bryant closed, or could the Columbus Day weekend have affected attendance (I mean, more than the 0-5 record). It was a perfect day, rain didn't start until we hit the Mass Pike on the way back.

a. I don't think I've ever seen a pep band with only ten instruments, including the conductor. Not even ours.

2. Bryant's got a great parking lot for tailgating, next to the stadium with trees for shade. Would it kill them to put some port-a-potties up so you don't have to walk to the middle of the home grandstand?

3. I'd say our turnovers kept Bryant in the game for 40 minutes. I couldn't tell how much they caused the fumbles or were they Drew's mistakes, but they were right in front of me when they jumped that swing pass for the INT.

4. Early in the third, still down 14-7, a defensive assistant told the D "We may have to get the score ourselves". Comin' right up, coach.

5. dsl is right about the wind; it was pretty strong on occasion and I think there was a lot of crosswind component in it.

6. On the plus side re previous opponents, Maine beat Delaware 26-3; on the neg, Youngstown lost to North Dakota State 48-7. Yikes. No help there in the rankings.

7. Felt right at home on the Bryant visitor's side. Bleachers started at ground level, could only see from the top three rows, there was scaffolding (instead of light towers) blocking part of the scoreboard.

8. Don't know why I was so annoyed at the PA announcer pronouncing the QB as fee-ach-key. He did better with Kologrivov.

Edited by UAalum72

I know it is NEC Coverage...but these announcers are homering for Bryant...and it's annoying

The announcers are from New England...and I think you are wrong; they have been heaping praises on Albany's D (including Morgan and Smith), and Fiacchi and Smith and King on offense.

I listen to these guys on radio every afternoon at work. Total New England sport fans.

Dottino and Schmeelk (sp?) were on the broadcast and both work for the NY Giants. They do all of their broadcasts on their website. Interviews, game previews, etc.

I also thought the announcers were a bit homerish..though the underdog vs. favorite explanation could definitely make sense. I liked the PbP guy..color guy seemed way too high energy for my liking. He sounded like Tony Siragusa.

In the end..the Danes really did dominate. TOs were the only thing that kept Bryant in the game in the first half. The defense really impressed me..especially given the added pressure of the extra possessions we gave Bryant.