UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Looks like its a done deal.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/12/12/maac-adds-quinnipiac-monmouth-and-wagner/

Quinipiac, Monmouth and Wagner to the MAAC.

Possibilities for football still unclear but could be:

1. Stay in the NEC as an affiliate

2. Join the CAA as an affiliate

3. Join the Patriot League as an affiliate

4. Join the PIoneer League and drop scholarships

I think the NEC is the likely scenario for 2013 and 2014. No clue what happens after that.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing to keep an eye on is the Big East non-football schools. Including Georhetown and Villanova playing FCS football.

They are expected to announce there intentions soon and the bet is they will leave the Big East. That will likely lead to the Big East further raiding the CUSA and MAC and will likely result in App State, Georgia Southern leaving the SoCon and JMU potentially leaving the CAA.

That will mean we will likely see a few SoCon schools moving to the CAA.

The CAA northern division, as is starting in 2013, seems to hold the perfect number of schools.

I wouldn't want to see any others, including wagner or monmouth, added.

With all due respect to Monmouth and Wagner.......I do not want to be in a league with schools like that.

The last thing we need is the CAA to become the NEC of old.

The CAA represents a step up in commitment to football and should remain that way. I do not see Wagner or Monmouth making the same financial commitment to facilities and scholarships that we have and other CAA teams have.

If they, however, were to get on board and say spend $20m on stadiums and commit to increasing scholarships immediately, then I might change my mind. Until that happens, no thanks.

I don't want anything to do with that program. I helped launch their athletics rise with development of their athletic site way back when. They are buying there way into things...and they DON'T FOLLOW THE RULES.

Not an America East type of school.

In what way though? Is the A10 going to look to pick from those three if they are raided by the big east?

No. It is very likely the AEast could add a school or two from a decimated NEC.

The CAA will likely grab a few schools from a decimated Southern Conference. The SoCon is going to undoubtedly lose App State and Georgia Southern to an FBS conference. Either the Sunbelt or CUSA. The CAA has already taken College of Charleston from the SoCon.

There is also a strong potential that the CAA could lose schools to either the MAC or A10 when it loses schools to the new Big Catholic conference. If that happens we might get a CAA all-sports offer ourselves.

Tons of potential implications to us.

Edited by danefan

I think going CAA for all sports would be a good thing. I'm just amazed at how this conference explosion is occurring. It's crazy to me that this is happening and it's mostly based on money. I love college sports and think it is great for the universities and students but the money involved now is starting to be bad.