UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Vermont Bus Trip Information - Sat, Jan 5th

The Big guys get a lot of opportunities but they have butter fingers. They can't make those 6 footers and everyone has figured it out. At this level you need one big guy who is a major scoring threat.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uvmhx.jpg

16 Turn Overs.. and one person in double digits..

We should be talking less about the offensive end and more about the abortion we witnessed on defense... Offense puts butts in seats... Defense wins... We got completely outclassed and out rebounded...Look at UVMs defense is there any question why we turned it over 16 times?

Edited by Clickclack

Does this end Jacob's streak of hitting at least one 3 in a game... I knew he had one but unsure how long it was going for?

I think so, but who cares. Means nothing.

You may not care. May mean something to the kid.

Pretty sure he's more worried about getting a W and figuring out why they lost this game instead of a little a streak he's had going.

Does this end Jacob's streak of hitting at least one 3 in a game... I knew he had one but unsure how long it was going for?

I think so, but who cares. Means nothing.

You may not care. May mean something to the kid.

Pretty sure he's more worried about getting a W and figuring out why they lost this game instead of a little a streak he's had going.

Never said he didn't care about loss.

"Offense puts butts in seats... Defense wins"

Actually I think that is just a cliche. Now it's not fair for me to compare AE w/ all of NCAA basketball and I'm not saying these teams didn't play defense but take a look at the most recent NCAA Champions:

Kentucky, UConn, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Florida, Florida, UNC, UConn, SU, Maryland, Duke.

One thing consistent on all these teams, they could score. Some off of their D, but these teams were offensive minded basketball teams. I hear it in BB and Football and in general it just isn't true. You need to be able to play defense but Offense wins Championships.

In the last 10 years the winning teams have scored an average of 74 points, in the last 20 years it is 76 points, and 76 for the last 30 years.

Today our D was terrible. But it was aided by the offense giving them the ball quite a few times and not scoring.

Edited by McFan

Actually I think that is just a cliche. Now it's not fair for me to compare AE w/ all of NCAA basketball and I'm not saying these teams didn't play defense but take a look at the most recent NCAA Champions:

Kentucky, UConn, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Florida, Florida, UNC, UConn, SU, Maryland, Duke.

One thing consistent on all these teams, they could score. Some off of their D, but these teams were offensive minded basketball teams. I hear it in BB and Football and in general it just isn't true. You need to be able to play defense but Offense wins Championships.

Today our D was terrible. But it was aided by the offense giving them the ball quite a few times and not scoring.

I strongly...STRONGLY disagree...using your criteria....

- Kentucky... (122/89 off/def eff)

- Connecticut...(116/90 off/def eff)

- Duke...(124/90 off/def eff)

- North Carolina...(124/90 off/def eff)

A similar picture is evident in the AE...all of the good AE teams have def. efficiency under 100...all the 'ish/medicore teams are over 100...Offense can come and go as slumps are inevitable...defense is predicated on effort and proper coaching of rotations and IQ.

Edited by Clickclack

SBU is projected to go 13-3 in conference...you know why? because their off eff is 100 but their def eff is 93...tops in the AE...albany is projected to go 10-6 in conference with a BETTER offensive eff then SBU...you know why? Because our def efficiency is WORSE then our offensive efficiency.

Vermont, a mediocre offensive team all season who's scored more then 70 two times all year was able to smack us around because they can d up...and on days when they play a poor defensive team their offense has no trouble getting going. On days where their offense struggles they can keep themselves in games by playing defense. When we play a good defensive team our offense can sputter like it did today but we have NOTHING to fall back on.

This is pretty fundamental and it bothers me greatly that the D word didn't come out of Will's mouth in the post game comments.

Edited by Clickclack

A similar picture is evident in the AE...all of the good AE teams have def. efficiency under 100...all the 'ish/medicore teams are over 100...Offense can come and go as slumps are inevitable...defense is predicated on effort and proper coaching of rotations and IQ.

I'll be honest off/def efficiency numbers are like the old QB rating figures. I don't know what they really mean. I do know that teams that score in the mid/upper 70's are the teams we see in the Championships every single year. In a 40 minute game that is good offense. When we won our two titles, we played good D, but we were a strong offensive team.

I'll be honest off/def efficiency numbers are like the old QB rating figures. I don't know what they really mean. I do know that teams that score in the mid/upper 70's are the teams we see in the Championships every single year. In a 40 minute game that is good offense. When we won our two titles, we played good D, but we were a strong offensive team.

If you look at those years...there was only ONE count it ONE good defensive team in the AE that year according to numbers...everyone else was north of 100...go look it up. Last years winner under 100, the year before that...under 100

Last year we were an offensive juggernaut and went 0-6 against the top of the AE...this year we are one of the best offensive teams in the AE by the numbers and just got our ass handed to us...so we are not 0-7 against the top of the AE most of whom play defense.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'm not panicking...we'll win our 10 games and I hope we go on a run in the AE tourney at home BUT...a HUGE BUT...our defense SUCKS...it's not good enough. You'll see this theme play out more and more as the season progresses and teams figure out how to stop Iati and Black (evidence points to the fact that they already have).

Folks will call me reactionary or chicken little...that's OK...I've been slowly beating this drum and cautiously bringing it up for a while now...today it got put front and center...I'm officially alarmed even though I understand today was the worst case scenario...my predicted finish as I said on the AE board remains 3-5 and hopefully a second round AE tourney appearance.

Edited by Clickclack

"If you look at those years...there was only ONE count it ONE good defensive team in the AE that year according to numbers...everyone else was north of 100...go look it up. Last years winner under 100, the year before that...under 100"

And those years (including the VT years), were in my opinion the best the AE has been since we've joined. That was due to two strong offensive teams. Vermont w/ Coppenrath and Sorrentine and UA w/ Jamar,Jordan, Wilson, Siggers,. Again I'm not sure what goes into those efficiency numbers but I watched those NCAA teams and the UA glory years and those teams were strong, very strong offensively. In the efficiency #'s is every TO treated the same? If so, that is hugely flawed. The TO's we had today were garbage. Many a long ways from the basket with no upside. A TO while attacking the basket not as bad as there are a number of possible positive outcomes to attacking the basket (as compared to a pass to Metcalf at the top of the key getting stolen).

The good news is we are not as bad as we looked today offensively or defensively. There are a lot of poor teams in the AE and we are not one of them.

The bad new is that two teams have figured out how to completely shut down our offense. Other than Black we don't have a starter on offense that is efficient going to the basket in any form. Hooley can do it off the bench, but that's it. And today looked like a team that didn't give 100% effort. Nobody on the floor for us and we didn't put anybody on the floor for them. It's great when Metcalf gets the charge but please once go up and block, or attempt to, a shot.

Interesting that you picked that section of my post to comment on and not the fact that we were the STRONGEST offensive team last year and one of the better ones this year and have now gone 0-7 against the top of the AE...even with better offense then the teams we are consistently losing to.

I don't want to hear how 9-7 and a first round flame-out is good enough...

Edited by Clickclack

Interesting that you picked that section of my post to comment on and not the fact that we were the STRONGEST offensive team last year and one of the better ones this year and have now gone 0-7 against the top of the AE...even with better offense then the teams we are consistently losing to.

I don't want to hear how 9-7 and a first round flame-out is good enough...

Unintentional, but who was #2 in offense last year? The team that represented us in the NCAA Tourney? As I've said you have to play D, but too much is made of the "Defense wins Championships". We didn't play a lick of D last year. When is the last AE Championship team that was not in the top 3 in scoring? It was VT. 10 years ago.

In the last nine years the Championship team has been #1 in offense 3 times, #2 in offense 5 times and #3 one time.

Flip that for Defense and you had one team at #2, five at #3 (including a tie), two at #4, and one at #5.

On average for the last nine years you have the 1.77 best offense and the 3.33 best defense winning the AE. In that span the best D has never won.

We'll have to agree to disagree on if O or D wins championships or not. But better days than this are ahead for this team.