UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Endowment

madDOG

I truly hope that everyone who thinks our endowment is too small is immediately pulling out their check book..or credit card.. and doing their part to boost that number. That's the only way it will change.

http://www.albany.ed...ing/index.shtml

+1

I also agree with the above post by SoCal. On field rivalries excluded.

You make some valid points. I do take issue that CNSE shouldn't be included.

Brookhaven as a part of Stony Brook is not a fair comparison. We're talking about the "College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering". This is actually a college within UAlbany such as Business or Computing. It should definately be counted. Brookhaven is not a college within Stony Brook. It's just an affiliation.

I never pointed out that CNSE shouldn't be included. It should and is correctly in AU's total. What is in question is Albany's "affiliated institutions sponsored funds expenditures" that is quoted by some, inaccurately, as being an addition to the $330.54M figure. UB and SBU treat those as outside the official university total.

I do think the other criteria you throw in such as undergrad performance are not the primary drivers to AAU.

If you look up the AAU memebership policy undergrad ed. is included as a 2nd tier indicator. True, not as high-up the list as research, but it is a piece of the analysis.

To your 2nd post, I'm not sure where you saw any anti-Albany argument behind my post. It was only statements on AAU and a correction regarding research funds. As a former UA student I don't attack Albany unless it's needed to defend where I transferred, UB, when it is trashed. You'd be surprised how I would (and have on message boards) personally push for and would welcome SBU to the MAC, and Albany eventually to the AAU and the MAC.

Nor do I see where UB and SBU are or ever, directly "tried/trying to circle the wagons" or "[threw]/[is] throwing up roadblocks". Neither said "We don't want Albany to be a flagship too". Then SUNY2020 passed and all benefited. How are they holding the others back now? As many other posters have said, it is up to Albany leadership to deal with the lack of attributes such as endowment funds, a lack of key professional schools due to overlap with private institutions, poor town-gown relations, and fewer advocates among local reps compared to UB and SBU.

Edited by UBBulls

I'm not going to go back-and-forth on this issue with you. You have your opinion and I have mine. I have my loyalty and you have yours. Any conversations with you seem to be completely fruitless. I don't spend any time on UB websites, threads or UB fan inspired forums. Not even in a casual passing fashion. I don't care and I wish you would take the same position.

I'm sure there are multiple interesting threads you could comment on UB's forums. I suggest your thoughts will be better received there.

Please trust that I am not flaming Albany nor trying to bait anyone, just offering input. I would not have if I'd known it would incite mentioning the old flagship debate that no longer exists within SUNY nor with Cuomo. I simply wondered just how it could be seen it as an ongoing issue. Otherwise I was staying true to the thread. All should be ticked at the constraints all have delt with as SUNY Centers. As pointed out in prior posts, the differences between the Centers came about due to our varied histories and political capital/leadership.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure you guys up there are seeing the same commercial, but NY is running a spot down here in Pittsburgh touting the 4.4 billion dollar investment in Nano and not once is UA mentioned. They show a student who is a CSNE PHD candidate but no mention of UA. Has the name of the college changed??

I see that commercial (and others touting NYS) all the time down here in Georgia. To be fair, they don't name anything specific in any of those ads other than New York State (but yes, it would be nice if they name dropped UA).

Edited by madDOG

• 3 weeks later...

Just a question -- these recent articles have Albany's foundation at about $100M ($96M I think). If this is so, why does the school and wikipedia have the endowment at $35 ????

If this is correct, can someone please correct the wikpedia entry ? Reference is below (the current reference is a silly one in any case). This factors into US News rankings and AAU btw. You won't believe how these things take on a life of their own.

According to the consolidated financials, total net assets of about $100M ($108). I realize this counts property, but looking at UBs it also appears they count property in the value (tough to really tell because none of the number line up for 2011/2012).

SUNY Campus Foundation Net Assets Spending

University at Albany $96.8 million $4.5 million

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Cash-muscle-in-SUNY-arms-4360494.php#ixzz2NzghYbqK