UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stony Brook 1/29

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go with the excuses...Iati is hurt...I'm sure a Black revelation is just around the corner.

Iati being hurt isn't new though, he's injured himself at South Carolina per the TU. Though he did have a great game at Navy after but since then downhill.

GDG was apparently bored tonight :) and looked at all our stats for the games so far to see if the stats show what seems to be apparent on the court regarding our shooting. He posted it on Twitter, figured I'd copy/paste over here for him.

"Through UA's first 13 games, the team was shooting 40.1% from 3.. since (10 games), the team has shot just 28.1%.The team started shooting 6%pts above (ntl) avg, have now been shooting 6%pts below avg (ntl), beginning with the game on 12/31 vs. Brown.

The good thing is that three-point shooting percentage has very little statistical correlation with opponents' three-point defense. We can see opponents have focused to limit UA's three pt shooting, though.. as UA averaged 19 threes per game prior to 12/31, but just 14.9 since.

Interesting to note that UA's struggles from three coincides almost exactly with Jacob Iati being injured.. which occurred at SCSU on 12/12. Danes seem to have the pieces to overcome poorer outside shooting against weaker/middle of the pack teams, but so far not top tier teams.

As UA struggles from deep, it also allows defenses to clog the lane w/o paying a price, which might help explain Black's struggles, too."

GDG was apparently bored tonight :) and looked at all our stats for the games so far to see if the stats show what seems to be apparent on the court regarding our shooting. He posted it on Twitter, figured I'd copy/paste over here for him.

"Through UA's first 13 games, the team was shooting 40.1% from 3.. since (10 games), the team has shot just 28.1%.The team started shooting 6%pts above (ntl) avg, have now been shooting 6%pts below avg (ntl), beginning with the game on 12/31 vs. Brown.

The good thing is that three-point shooting percentage has very little statistical correlation with opponents' three-point defense. We can see opponents have focused to limit UA's three pt shooting, though.. as UA averaged 19 threes per game prior to 12/31, but just 14.9 since.

Interesting to note that UA's struggles from three coincides almost exactly with Jacob Iati being injured.. which occurred at SCSU on 12/12. Danes seem to have the pieces to overcome poorer outside shooting against weaker/middle of the pack teams, but so far not top tier teams.

As UA struggles from deep, it also allows defenses to clog the lane w/o paying a price, which might help explain Black's struggles, too."

MsG I agree and would like to add that the lane clogging dilemma is (in my opinion) the biggest reason for our shortfall of late. The situation has been exasperated by the fact that not only are we not making 3's, but by the fact that NO ONE has been able to hit the mid range jumper [foul line extended/base line extended for example]. Luke has tried a couple and missed and than passed on a number of wide open others. Iati in the past was able to hit floaters from this range and Mike should be our best bet to pull up on the drive and hit the 10-15 foot jump shot. If we can add this shot back into our game, along with a little more normal 3pt.%, it will make driving to the lane a lot easier and more successful with less blocked. "IF" we can do this, I still think we can be a force in the tournament. Anyhow, thanks for posting those stats.

I'm thinking the shooting percentage numbers are team-wide..not just Iati..right? Because I'm pretty sure he was shooting near 50% from deep before conference play. Beginning with the game against Brown that was mentioned..it looks like he's been shooting about 30%. Certainly below where he was at prior..but I'm not sure I'd categorize that as "terrible." His decreased shooting percentage is suppressing his point total some..but he's also shooting less often than he was earlier in the season. I think all of us who watch the games can see he's getting less open looks. Whether that's due to his injury..or defenses..or both..I'm not sure.

Edited by Phoenix

Your not including the fact that he was not 100% on defense either. If he is not as shooting as much he shouldn't be playing as much. It's just basically playing 4 against 5.

My point is he should have had his minutes decreased and others should have had the opportunity

Edited by UA'08

Every year, same story...last year it was Logan. Somehow other teams adjust to injury, sit players and keep winning...apparently our entire season hangs on a 5'6 guard who sat 90% of last year on the bench.

Call me negative Nancy all you want but it's all smoke and mirrors....

Edited by Clickclack

Every year, same story...last year it was Logan. Somehow other teams adjust to injury, sit players and keep winning...apparently our entire season hangs on a 5'6 guard who sat 90% of last year on the bench.

So Stony Brook wasn't impacted the year Tommy Brenton was injured?

I agree with the point UA08 is making, it seems worse to play a guy who is injured. I'm honestly not sure how much a guy like Iati is going to complain about an injury until it becomes as evident has it has the past few games.

There use to be an "unwritten" rule--no practice no play. I have seen/heard not only Brown, but other coaches lately holding players out of practice, so they can play in games? Brown did it last year with Logan and earlier this year with Black. He is not the only coach to do this [the Giants played Amad Bradshaw almost the entire season with him almost never practicing]. It appears to be pretty wide spread. To me the "rule" seems to be a good one; not only for the benefit of the player {get him healthy before playing him}, but for team coerciveness that practice builds. THOUGHTS??????

There use to be an "unwritten" rule--no practice no play. I have seen/heard not only Brown, but other coaches lately holding players out of practice, so they can play in games? Brown did it last year with Logan and earlier this year with Black. He is not the only coach to do this [the Giants played Amad Bradshaw almost the entire season with him almost never practicing]. It appears to be pretty wide spread. To me the "rule" seems to be a good one; not only for the benefit of the player {get him healthy before playing him}, but for team coerciveness that practice builds. THOUGHTS??????

There was a story in today's paper about Iati "playing through the pain." I admire Iati's toughness and even CB's loyalty to him but I have to wonder if playing him at 80% or whatever he is healthy is beneficial to the team in general. I guess we'll find out.

YNN had a piece the other morning where Iati said he only has so many games left in his career and he will start and he will fight through the pain. The guy has guts but if he isn't productive he's gotta sit if that's what the team needs. IMHO

Edited by MsGDG