UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany vs. Maine (2/9/2013)

You know,

I know you don't like sticking to the facts Clickclack so no need to respond. :) Those things like facts and numbers get in the way of flying off the handle and being justified about it.

You know, MsGDG and @fessland sound a lot alike. Have we ever seen them in the same place at the same time? (puts on tin foil hat)

lol.... please tell me you're joking .. but you are new to the board.

Yeah, please excuse any who's who related ignorance on my end. Still getting my sea legs over here and graduating last year means I haven't migrated far from the far side student section yet!

GDG is Brian.. which is why I have the 'ms' before my handle. Most people knew that as his avatar back in the day was his actual picture.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm late to this but that awful, freakin loss to Maine is actually a highlight compared to the direction of this thread.

An anonymous message board poster is questioning the identity of another message board poster. Seriously?

Were not pitting the women's program against the men's program? Great work, mission accomplished.

this season isn't worth fighting about anymore. I don't know what to think when it comes to the program anymore. At this point I'm ready for lacrosse season to see what they do and hope the women run the table and can advance to at least the 2nd and 3rd round. I have moved on from men's basketball at this point.

Clickclack and LoganAronhaltsKnees many people on this board know the coaches, if you think that changes their judgement or makes them less of a fan I think you're wrong.

Coaches talk to fans that are normal, even keel people, clearly by your posts on here you're likely not an even keel person. (Could be wrong..) You get super upset when we lose and think we're the worst team and when we win a big game like Washington you think the staff are amazing. Even you Clickclack called the coach a "genius" after the Washington game. http://bigpurplefans...=105#entry64286 You love the coaching staff one minute and hate them the next.

This board is a breeding ground for the few who complain when we don't beat Siena, complain when we're less than .500 , complain when we have no big wins. And the year when we have all three, and those same people are still calling for the school to can the coach. It sounds more like those people including yourself are more obsessed with getting rid of the coach than UA winning.

MsGDG,

I'm going to put it plainly for you, in my opinion yes, personal relationships of some on here do compromised their objectivity, you are at liberty to disagree with that assessment but I speak from personal experience. I'll leave it at that...

I take umbrage to you characterizing those who utter any criticism as emotionally unstable while those that show blind faith and are afraid or unwilling to point out the reality we find ourselves in as even keeled people. Judging by a number of PM's as well as e-mails and personal conversations, I think you are underestimating the number of folks that are as you call 'not even keeled'. At no point have I taken a run at any individual players in a personal manner, nor have I taken any personal shots at Brown or staff other then discuss results on the court and handling of the program/recruiting (I'll elaborate on this later). If the intent of this board as you see it is to toe the company line then the mission statement here needs to be updated. I've said it numerous times that what we are in a nice/mediocre program, who graduates their kids, kids do well in school, doesn't usually stink but also is non-competitive in the AE and haven't been for a long time. What I've always attempted to do is point out or give credit where I see success but with that comes criticism when the results are not where I feel they need to be.

Regarding Washington, I clearly indicated that his move to the zone was genius...not that he's a genius...Coach Brown is capable of making the correct adjustments. To suggest that the man does nothing correctly or that I've implied that he has no redeemable value or that I "hate" him is simply incorrect and intellectually dishonest. Again, I have no personal vendetta against him, nor do I "hate" him, your flight to extremes to paint me into a corner is laughable. I give credit where credit is due and praise where I feel it's warranted but with that comes criticism when the results are not there. There always seems to be a moving target as to what part of the season matters, when the OOC results are horrific you and I both know we are told that the OOC doesn't matter (when we do well you rush to tell us how awesome our OOC results are), when we stink in AE play we are told that that the AE tourney is all that matters...the spin never stops! I'm not going to sit here and profess my undying love for Coach Brown, when I've had contact with him he seems to be a good guy, cares for his kids, hard worker, has good intentions...but with media my observations are that he can be caustic and a lot of times brings negative attention upon himself.

Lets get to those facts you and your significant other say I have no grasp of....

- We are now 4 games in the L column out of first place, in '12 we finished 5 games out of first, '11 we finished 4 games out of first, in '10 we were 11 games out of first place, '09 we were 7 gamest out of first place, '08 we finished 3 gamest out of first place. On average we have finished 5.7 games out of first place. If that to you is competitive then I don't know what to tell you. Even if you take out the outliers of 11 and 3...we still finish 5 games out of first in the AE on average

- The record against the top of the AE over the last half decade is well documented. You may be able to dismiss it but I can't.

- Our record over the last 5+ years in the AE tourney is 2-5...

- Our RPI - 183 this year is dropping like a rock against one of the absolute weakest schedules in the country, 323, the OOC is even worse at 333. Fact is and you can deny it while telling us how great 18 wins is as we lose every meaningful game in conference; the schedule was stacked with garbage teams to up the W count. Brown is to be commended for winning at Washington, his signature win, no-one can take that away from him.

- Against the top of the AE this year we have lost on average by 13.3 points. To you that's competitive? I can keep going...

There are plenty of warning signs here, if you simply take an objective look at the state of the program. You call this board a breeding grounds for malcontents and in a round-about way taking a run at good and loyal fans, I call this place a necessary retrospective for as much as you like to deny it the facts don't support your rosy world-view. While other programs like UVM make no excuses and continue to win with a disgusting HS gym and SBU continues to win, we get a litany of excuses. If it's not the weather it's injuries, the campus is ugly and hard to recruit to, kids that are injured continue to be run out there while being completely ineffective while zero trust is shown in healthy bodies on the bench. Schedules year in and year out are skewed to include weak programs (323, 331, 284 219, 178) *see the progression as contract is running out?* while an endless sea of ineffective JUCOS are recruited. Next year teams will have at least 5 JUCO's...again, I can keep going.

If you are honest with yourself, I've had reservations and have verbalized them here for a long time now...I progressively lose more and more faith with every 25pt loss to UVM or a thrashing by our peer SBU and non-competitive AE seasons. Good for you that you don't see any warning signs...I guess your attitude is to be commended, I guess....!

Edited by Clickclack

Let's be honest with one another. We are fans of a program which does not see itself as anything more than an average AE team. Those of us who have bigger ideas are in a very small minority. Achievement is not the product of one single factor. All of the significant factors must come together. One of the factors is alumi support. There is very little of that. Unless and until the students and alumi see the schools success as enhancing their degree nothing will change.

This thread is the reason I don't post much anymore. The chicken littles and newbies that want change can rip into others all they want. We are fans but our loyalty is to the University. Will Brown will be gone someday we will still be fans of the team and root for success. Comparing the Mens game and the Womens game is wrong. Maine men have beaten the real BU and Vermont. Maine women have 1 conference win. While I do not always agree with "coaching" decisions, I know this:

We have 2 NCAA appearances - The Brook has none - Bingo cheated to get one unmemorable appearance

Try to enjoy the games - there is a reason that we are "fans" and not coaches or administrators.

Some of you are pushing this board towards the piece of $iena that is the $ienahoops board.

Now I will read the well reasoned responses that are sure to be fired off with multiple nanoseconds of thought.

I'll still be sitting in the same seat I have been in since the RAAC opened.

This thread is the reason I don't post much anymore. The chicken littles and newbies that want change can rip into others all they want. We are fans but our loyalty is to the University. Will Brown will be gone someday we will still be fans of the team and root for success. Comparing the Mens game and the Womens game is wrong. Maine men have beaten the real BU and Vermont. Maine women have 1 conference win. While I do not always agree with "coaching" decisions, I know this:

We have 2 NCAA appearances - The Brook has none - Bingo cheated to get one unmemorable appearance

Try to enjoy the games - there is a reason that we are "fans" and not coaches or administrators.

Some of you are pushing this board towards the piece of $iena that is the $ienahoops board.

Now I will read the well reasoned responses that are sure to be fired off with multiple nanoseconds of thought.

+1

"There always seems to be a moving target as to what part of the season matters, when the OOC results are horrific you and I both know we are told that the OOC doesn't matter (when we do well you rush to tell us how awesome our OOC results are), when we stink in AE play we are told that that the AE tourney is all that matters"

- This is absolutely true.

+1

+2

Let's be honest with one another. We are fans of a program which does not see itself as anything more than an average AE team. Those of us who have bigger ideas are in a very small minority. Achievement is not the product of one single factor. All of the significant factors must come together. One of the factors is alumi support. There is very little of that. Unless and until the students and alumi see the schools success as enhancing their degree nothing will change.

If you am want fan support you must win... Fact is after the NCAA runs we were averaging a lot of people in the stands... Then the losing came which destroyed the positive momentum... I was there, I saw the numbers dwindle with every loss. Even this year, people were getting excited... Momentum has again died...

+1

+2