UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany vs. Maine (2/9/2013)

Will Brown's record in AE conference play since taking over, including AE tournament games: 97-110

For comparison:

Vermont is 167-51 in both AE conference play and AE tournament for the same period.

Boston U is 134-57 in AE reg season conference play only

Maine is 90-103 in AE reg season conference play only

Bingham is 88-105 in AE reg season conference play

Not sure what the point of looking up teams records over this time period is.

Should the rest of the teams including us, SBU, Hartford or whoever forfeit the 12-13 season based on what happened in the past or should they compete as hard even knowing that only one team is going to the NCAA's.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Brown's record in AE conference play since taking over, including AE tournament games: 97-110

For comparison:

Vermont is 167-51 in both AE conference play and AE tournament for the same period.

Boston U is 134-57 in AE reg season conference play only

Maine is 90-103 in AE reg season conference play only

Bingham is 88-105 in AE reg season conference play

Very informative... Thanks

A fairly simple point. To compare programs over the past decade or so, out of curiosity.

To the basic observer, it has been quite obvious even without stats in front of him, that we have had mediocre success in the America East.

Now we have stats to ponder.

Our team is talented enough to win the ae championship this year. We are not great by any stretch of the imagination, but, with the correct

coaching, it can happen. Let's see if we can buck the trend of subpar tournament results. Solid play and exceptional coaching could make it happen.

Let's see.

This thread is the reason I don't post much anymore. The chicken littles and newbies that want change can rip into others all they want. We are fans but our loyalty is to the University. Will Brown will be gone someday we will still be fans of the team and root for success. Comparing the Mens game and the Womens game is wrong. Maine men have beaten the real BU and Vermont. Maine women have 1 conference win. While I do not always agree with "coaching" decisions, I know this:

We have 2 NCAA appearances - The Brook has none - Bingo cheated to get one unmemorable appearance

Try to enjoy the games - there is a reason that we are "fans" and not coaches or administrators.

Some of you are pushing this board towards the piece of $iena that is the $ienahoops board.

Now I will read the well reasoned responses that are sure to be fired off with multiple nanoseconds of thought.

I'll still be sitting in the same seat I have been in since the RAAC opened.

What makes this board good and not a piece of $iena board? If it's a happy go lucky, criticism free board, will that make it better formyou to read? These boards are for discussion and if you can't question or criticize decisions what is the purpose of this thing.

My numbers differ a little (so I am probably off some), I have him at something like 97-113 in AE & AE tournies which doesn't appear to good but........

He was 11-44 in his 1st 3 years when he took over a program in total disarray and had very few DI players ( I remember the 4 on the floor at Hartford).

With out counting those 1st years from 04/05 to the present he is something in the neighborhood of 76-63 in AE play which includes 8-6 in AE Tourney

Not great but respectable numbers. The two NCAA appearances are more then any team not initialed UVM

Just some food for thought and discussion.

Wow, a fun read. Random responses and thoughts.

• Questioning the direction of the program does not make people "malcontents". Many of us are as long term supporters of the program as some that are happy w/ were we are. Me for instance, around as a season ticket holder since the DII transition period.
  • If some of us are unhappy w/ the direction we can still be fans and supporters of the program. We still show up. We still cheer. We still hope that they win. It's just frustrating that it isn't and hasn't been happening.
  • Putting up the programs record in comparison to the other "top" AE programs is a legitimate comparison. It matters to many that think we should be better than we are.
  • Anyone that thinks that the "malcontents" on this board are a small group of rabid, never satisfied fans, should talk to others in the arena and the community.
  • It may have been pie in the sky but with the realignment of all of the conferences it would have been nice to be in the discussion. We are not because we haven't progressed as a program. Debate wether it would have been beneficial or not, but it is a fact.
  • This board is a microcosm of the program. Activity is very limited due to a lack of enthusiasm. I know it's not easy to win at any D1 level but we seemed to be poised to make some progress after the two NCAA runs. We have not.
  • This years team (despite the record) is no better to marginally better than last years team.
  • UA can win the AE Championship but it would quite a shock for it to happen.
  • I take questioning someone's job performance/worthiness seriously but the college coaches of today make a ton of money and are the public face of the university. Let's remember how quickly they move on or push a university for a bigger contract when they have a chance. This isn't your everyday job.
  • We are anonymous posters on a board and none of what I/we say matters but it is what I see this board for. Respectively post opinions about the teams we support.
  • I too will be in my seat on Saturday hoping for a win.
  • Who amongst us can say they are happy with what this team has done since the NCAA runs?
  • We have great student athletes that seem to have high character and represent the university in a positive manner.
  • We haven't been able to beat the top teams in a terrible conference for some time. That is disappointing to me, to many others, and should be to most of us.

I hope that clarifies where I stand on the issues.

Edited by McFan

My numbers differ a little (so I am probably off some), I have him at something like 97-113 in AE & AE tournies which doesn't appear to good but........

He was 11-44 in his 1st 3 years when he took over a program in total disarray and had very few DI players ( I remember the 4 on the floor at Hartford).

With out counting those 1st years from 04/05 to the present he is something in the neighborhood of 76-63 in AE play which includes 8-6 in AE Tourney

Not great but respectable numbers. The two NCAA appearances are more then any team not initialed UVM

Just some food for thought and discussion.

I like some of what you've done here. I would look at it in three segments. 1st three years. Next two years. From there on.

Wow, a fun read. Random responses and thoughts.

• Questioning the direction of the program does not make people "malcontents". Many of us are as long term supporters of the program as some that are happy w/ were we are. Me for instance, around as a season ticket holder since the DII transition period.
  • If some of us are unhappy w/ the direction we can still be fans and supporters of the program. We still show up. We still cheer. We still hope that they win. It's just frustrating that it isn't and hasn't been happening.
  • Putting up the programs record in comparison to the other "top" AE programs is a legitimate comparison. It matters to many that think we should be better than we are.
  • Anyone that thinks that the "malcontents" on this board are a small group of rabid, never satisfied fans, should talk to others in the arena and the community.
  • It may have been pie in the sky but with the realignment of all of the conferences it would have been nice to be in the discussion. We are not because we haven't progressed as a program. Debate wether it would have been beneficial or not, but it is a fact.
  • This board is a microcosm of the program. Activity is very limited due to a lack of enthusiasm. I know it's not easy to win at any D1 level but we seemed to be poised to make some progress after the two NCAA runs. We have not.
  • This years team (despite the record) is no better to marginally better than last years team.
  • UA can win the AE Championship but it would quite a shock for it to happen.
  • I take questioning someone's job performance/worthiness seriously but the college coaches of today make a ton of money and are the public face of the university. Let's remember how quickly they move on or push a university for a bigger contract when they have a chance. This isn't your everyday job.
  • We are anonymous posters on a board and none of what I/we say matters but it is what I see this board for. Respectively post opinions about the teams we support.
  • I too will be in my seat on Saturday hoping for a win.
  • Who amongst us can say they are happy with what this team has done since the NCAA runs?
  • We have great student athletes that seem to have high character and represent the university in a positive manner.
  • We haven't been able to beat the top teams in a terrible conference for some time. That is disappointing to me, to many others, and should be to most of us.

I hope that clarifies where I stand on the issues.

Believe me when I say, nothing would be more awesome then winning the tourney and me having to come here and eat my words... Man how I'd love to be wrong... But, it's another year of not being even close... Think about it... Not even close (5th place) to winning the regular season...

The sad reality is that I doubt I am after many years of going nowhere fast... Hey, maybe this is the year.

I don't harbor any ill towards those that still think we are going places. Every year at work my contract is reviewed and renewed based on my performance. An average of 5th place finish and no regular season titles or conference titles if translated to my field would be sub par and grounds for.... Not being competitive against the top of the AE is not acceptable Imo...

This coming from a guy who has for years stuck up for this program. Sadly I'm not buying it any more...

I've been reading and following this thread and wanted to add my thoughts. I can't say I am happy with how things have progressed since conference play but I haven't given up on this team. They can still make a run. Overall, I see both sides of the argument and am in the middle at this point.

On the overall progress of the program throughout the years... This is a YOUNG D1 program. I'm not talking about the players, I'm talking about the program itself. There are basketball programs that have been in D1 a lot longer and have not been to two NCAA tourneys. It takes a lot of time to build past the low mid-majors. I think the program, for the most part has been competitive in the conference, has won a few conference tournament games and has come close to winning several other tourney games (see SBU tip-in last year in semi). They have also run into some bad luck with good recruits (Raffa leaving, Turley homesick, Logan's injuries). These were good players that were going to be the foundation of the program for a few years and they basically had to start over.

I do agree that the post tourney hype was poorly managed. We should've been able to get some better talent out of that.

OK, I'm confusing myself now. On the fence here.