UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Championship Saturday (3/16)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winners, in games and life - Jennifer Gish, on women's team and Coach Abe

Men punch ticket - Wilkin

Danes women back to dance - Singelais

Bottle toss tarnishes celebration - Wilkin's post-game notes, Jamie Brown hit by Powerade bottle

Smallest player a big shot - Iorizzo

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

Edited by UAalum72

Those Iati threes at the end of the game were like something scripted from a movie. The guy everyone says is too small, not athletic enough, etc, etc,etc comes in delivers the blow that kills the giant. Perfection.

I'm not sure there's been a better day as a Danes fan than these two championships in two states. Crazy awesome day.

I'll admit I was one of those doubters, but I'm glad he proved my dumb ass wrong

You weren't the only one. Jon Iati said pretty much the same thing in today's paper. Jacob is undersized, not that athletic. What he does have is a sweet outside shot and the onions to take those shots when it really counts.

Box score says women's attendance was 2568 (seemed like a lot more), helped by a big Hartford turnout. Still probably the largest-ever crowd for a non-doubleheader women's game, even with students on spring break.

After two hours of constant screaming, chanting and clapping at Patrick Gym the crowd at SEFCU was frustratingly quiet for much of the game last night. I was glad we finally got into it at the end of the game to supply some noise and energy.

Lady DP pointed out that at the end of what I described as a "great day" I was hoarse from yelling and my hands were bleeding from all the clapping. Totally worth it.

Interview with Brown when they got off the bus. This reporter did a poor job though, "American East"? "Last tourney visit 1996? Do your research.

http://www.news10.co...rica-east-title

She also called it the UAlbany conference is another video talking about the women's team.

They need to have sports reporters do sports and regular reporters do regular news...

The looks of disbelieve--good one. I am in that picture but will not admit who I am. But I will say it was a great game and a true TEAM effort. Black did his thing, Iati was clutch, Blake had a traditional 3 point play {even though you can see the disbelieve in the picture}; Puk 6 rebounds to go with his clutch foul shooting [he made the two when it counted most, after scaring us first]; but what about the down under trio. Look at these numbers--a combined 9 bounds, 6 assists, 8 steels, 2 blocks and only two to's. I was so happy for Devlin 6 for 6 shooting, 5 rbs, 1assist, 2 steels included in the ausssies' totals. Johnson and DJ played well defensively and with boise. I hope I did not leave anyone out because truly everyone contributed. After the game, I was under the basket and John Iati (coach-not player) was sitting in what looked like a lounge chair and I said he looked like he had just played 40 minutes. All he could do was smile and shake my hand, I think he was too beat to talk. Masterful coaching by the entire staff.

Edited by dslyank

Bottle toss tarnishes celebration - Wilkin's post-game notes, Jamie Brown hit by Powerade bottle

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

With regard to the article on the Coach's wife getting hit by a bottle, Coach handled that situation with grace and stated the right thing insofar as the incident with the bottle throwing reflected the behavior of 1 out of 3,000.

Unfortunately, such behavior is not the product of 1 out of 3,000 UVM fans. In 2007, a Vermont fan came on the court right after the buzzer sounded as we were rushing (and already on) the court, and that Vermont fan "drop kicked" and assaulted our mascot. It was violent, aggressive, and in no way playful. It happened right in front of me. If that happened at UAlbany, the student would have been arrested by the police. So perhaps it's just 2 bad apples?

In my view, Vermont fans outwardly exhibit the most passion (which may be different than possessing the most passion) of any school's fans in our Conference (honorable mention: UMBC's diehard fans). So, one will see the best of fans at a UVM game, and it logically follows that that one will see the worst of fans also at a UVM game; to wit, where there is high passion and emotion, the best and worst human behavior can usually be found.

To be fair, I generally have not heard much explicit trash talk from UVM fans. However, I do believe that one UVM fan purposefully screamed in my ear as loud as she could yesterday (to the point that it was physically painful), and I perceived it to be intentional and directed towards me (My passion got the best of me, and I wrongly responded in kind a few minutes thereafter).

I am not trying to be overly critical of Vermont fans (I love their passion and relatively unwavering support). The purpose of this post is to opine that they are no better than the rest of us.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

Box score says women's attendance was 2568 (seemed like a lot more), helped by a big Hartford turnout. Still probably the largest-ever crowd for a non-doubleheader women's game, even with students on spring break.

After two hours of constant screaming, chanting and clapping at Patrick Gym the crowd at SEFCU was frustratingly quiet for much of the game last night. I was glad we finally got into it at the end of the game to supply some noise and energy.

Lady DP pointed out that at the end of what I described as a "great day" I was hoarse from yelling and my hands were bleeding from all the clapping. Totally worth it.

I perceived the same thing at last night's game. For my part, I was exhausted after driving over 300 miles and going through the highs and lows of the men's game. We woke up towards the end of the game, and as a fan, yesterday is a day that I will remember for the rest of my life. :)

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

With regard to the article on the Coach's wife getting hit by a bottle, Coach handled that situation with grace and stated the right thing insofar as the incident with the bottle throwing reflected the behavior of 1 out of 3,000.

Unfortunately, such behavior is not the product of 1 out of 3,000 UVM fans. In 2007, a Vermont fan came on the court right after the buzzer sounded as we were rushing (and already on) the court, and that Vermont fan "drop kicked" and assaulted our mascot. It was violent, aggressive, and in no way playful. It happened right in front of me. If that happened at UAlbany, the student would have been arrested by the police. So perhaps it's just 2 bad apples?

In my view, Vermont fans outwardly exhibit the most passion (which may be different than possessing the most passion) of any school's fans in our Conference (honorable mention: UMBC's diehard fans). So, one will see the best of fans at a UVM game, and it logically follows that that one will see the worst of fans also at a UVM game; to wit, where there is high passion and emotion, the best and worst human behavior can usually be found.

To be fair, I generally have not heard much explicit trash talk from UVM fans. However, I do believe that one UVM fan purposefully screamed in my ear as loud as she could yesterday (to the point that it was physically painful), and I perceived it to be intentional and directed towards me (My passion got the best of me, and I wrongly responded in kind a few minutes thereafter).

I am not trying to be overly critical of Vermont fans (I love their passion and relatively unwavering support). The purpose of this post is to opine that they are no better than the rest of us.

This goes to both sides.

I was watching on TV and I believe both sides were chanting BS and A-Hole at the refs at points of the game. This is classless, IMO. UAlbany fans (if I saw/heard right on TV) should be ashamed of themselves.