UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Track & Field Facility Construction

Since when does it matter how many people go to a sporting event at UA? Now that wee have 800 or so seats at football, does that mean that the stadium will be even close to full all year long in light of the fact that the team averages 1/4 of that attendance on any given Saturday? And no, there would probably be no more people at the baseball or softball games if there were bathrooms but it would be nice to have a place to go when your field is a 1/4 of a mile away from the nearest building. Unfortunately, I cannot agree that a track program is more important then a baseball or softball program. I am just surprised that someone who has a lot to say about UA sports is quick to slam other sports who are trying to get a piece of the pie. Using your logic, it would be more important to put lockers and a clubhouse for the football team at the stadium instead of improving the baseball or softball fields.....that is truly funny!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when does it matter how many people go to a sporting event at UA? Now that wee have 800 or so seats at football, does that mean that the stadium will be even close to full all year long in light of the fact that the team averages 1/4 of that attendance on any given Saturday? And no, there would probably be no more people at the baseball or softball games if there were bathrooms but it would be nice to have a place to go when your field is a 1/4 of a mile away from the nearest building. Unfortunately, I cannot agree that a track program is more important then a baseball or softball program. I am just surprised that someone who has a lot to say about UA sports is quick to slam other sports who are trying to get a piece of the pie. Using your logic, it would be more important to put lockers and a clubhouse for the football team at the stadium instead of improving the baseball or softball fields.....that is truly funny!

Well since you asked...YES! Yes it would be more important to build a clubhouse and lockers for the football stadium not only that but meeting/film room and coaches offices for all coaches and teams....

I was just looking to continue to have us band together for the cause of UA sports. I have attended a wide variety of sports events this year at the school and cheer every accomplishment. I am part of this site because I was under the belief that this is where UA sports fans come together, talk about the pros and cons of the teams, marvel at wins and voice our disgust at a loss. Together, we have a greater voice then a person here and a person there. Hopefully others will continue to voice support and that will resonate into action. I am sure that you would not find many supporters among our athletes. With the effort that they put forth to train, practice and ultimately represent the university, I would think each would expect a piece, as you said, of the finite dollars!

I was just looking to continue to have us band together for the cause of UA sports. I have attended a wide variety of sports events this year at the school and cheer every accomplishment. I am part of this site because I was under the belief that this is where UA sports fans come together, talk about the pros and cons of the teams, marvel at wins and voice our disgust at a loss. Together, we have a greater voice then a person here and a person there. Hopefully others will continue to voice support and that will resonate into action. I am sure that you would not find many supporters among our athletes. With the effort that they put forth to train, practice and ultimately represent the university, I would think each would expect a piece, as you said, of the finite dollars!

Please spare me the growling and pitty party...No one said we couldn't discuss the softball team losing to LCC or even that baseball should or shouldn't get a new facility. Apparently you are all for discussion as long as I don't have a differing opinion.

That's OK that I wouldn't find may supporters among our athletes...my opinions are my own...not everyone has to or I'm sure likes them or possibly me. Keep posting and don't let me dissuade you...update us on how the baseball team is doing etc.

Edited by Clickclack

I think most of us would love for every team to have access to Class A facilities. They deserve them. I do believe that UA needs to allocate the finite dollars disproportionately towards the sports that have the greatest ROI (or potential ROI) and those sports are Football, Basketball and Lacrosse/Field Hockey. Get those sports into Class A facilities first and as they say "a rising tide lifts all ships". We're just not there yet.

BTW- SBU has Class A Baseball facilities in no small part due to a large donation by an MLB alum. GD'87....get a good job or hit the lotto and get us some nice baseball facilities!

With all this squaking about facilities do you guys still think we have the money to jump to the CAA? We have a hard time scraping 2 nickels together and they probably came from SEFCU's pocket!

None of us here have an answer to this question...there was never a push to allocate more because we continue to be one of the more dominant athletic programs in the AE. Hard to convince people we need more when we win a lot!

Edited by Clickclack

So I guess the baseball and softball programs should just hope that the star player that is considering one or our programs doesn't really care that he or she has to walk a half of mile to get to their field.....that there are no bathroom facilities there....that there are no designated hitting facilities......that there are no clubhouse facilities......check other programs, they have those things.....check d2 and d3 programs and many of them have them. Take those facilities away from the football and basketball team and everyone here would freak out because we were not acting like a top d1 program which we are trying to be.

Many D-2 and D-3 have those amenitites you say? As many as I have seen around NYS very few do.

You think UAlbany is bad? UB was required to add baseball for the MAC. There are only 2 FBS-football conferences that require baseball: The SEC and the MAC. Not CUSA, ACC, Big 12, etc. SU doesn't have it. But UB had to. So the AD has never fully funded it. Our team's field is across a highway from campus. Lights, ok scoreboard, dugouts, bullpens, 4 sets of small bleachers. Conditions were so poor this spring at all local college fields the team had to move a home series to Rochester at a community college which had a new artificial turf field...no bathroom, clubhouse, hitting areas either.

Albany's is slightly better. In WNY St Bona has the best surface but no bathrooms or hitting facilities. Canisius's is worse than UB, a artificial turf facility where their field overlays soccer/lax and a softball field. Niagara's campus field is so bad they play at a municipal field 3 miles away. Clubhouse and restrooms facilities are not common in the North. Our baseball players don't actually push for field improvements as much as campaigning for our $20M-$25M campus fieldhouse project. They want to practice indoors first and foremost since that will benefit them far more than their sub-par home field.

Track and field is never going to bring national recognition to UAlbany outside the relatively small T&F community.

Americans care about the traditional "Athletics" one week every four years during the olympics and only rarely is the undergraduate institution of Team USA members mentioned.

I love track and field. I've competed at the highest levels in high school and have watched my immediate family win NCAA event championship and compete at Olympic trials.

UA shouldn't spend another dime on track facilities once this is done. Not until we have a 15000 stadium, renovated bball arena and full turf field house (which could easily house an indoor track as well).

This track is going to be awesome, probably the nicest outdoor track and field venue in the state. We are going to have the oppertunity to host the NYS HS Championship every year. That will be a boost for the area.

That's awesome and noone is suggesting this shouldn't be built but more track venues.... A RESOUNDING AND UNEQUIVOCAL NO! unless some pays for it with money specifically earmarked for track and field...

This track is going to be awesome, probably the nicest outdoor track and field venue in the state. We are going to have the oppertunity to host the NYS HS Championship every year. That will be a boost for the area.

The NYSPHSAA prefers championships rotating between sections as there are very nice HS ones out there: C/N-S, Rochester area, Middletown, Kingston, Vestal. Albany may get a year every so often. People rag on UB Stadium as a football venue with the track, for good reason. But as a T&F facility it's considered world class: facilites for every event possible including steeplechase pits, advanced timing and scoring systems, and locker rooms for hundreds of athletes. It was built for the World University games, hosted the 1998 D-1 Men's and Women's Outdoor Championships, several Empire State Games and MAC Outdoor Championships. Despite its quality, we last hosted the high school state championships in 2008.