UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

bulletin board material

Siena Tony

I wish I knew who your contacts are on the staff at UA.

Though, by no means am I insider, I have spoken to some of the coaches and they have told me they expect to get solid contribution out of Dyson right away and that he could be better than most people think.

By the way I guess all nice looking, big bodies get a 3 star rating from Rivals regardless of their lack of skill and are rated by Hoop Scoop at 382 in the country as late as February 04.

Seems like alot of this info came from recruiting sites which are fairly suspect anyway. The people of this board and Tony probably read mostly the same things on Dyson, Tony got stuck on the questionable hands comment on hoopscoop or wherever while I remember more clearly the recruiting service that said Dyson should contend for rookie of the year. I can only really go by what Brown has said about Dyson and he seemed very excited about him. More so, it seemed that the other three recruits who I thought were very good.

I've never trusted the hoopscoop or whatever rankings very much about guys who signed early anyway. The recruiting services make their money off scouting unsigned recruits, not guys who have already signed. Do you really think they're going to go back and reevalute guys like Brent Wilson or Brian Lillis after their senior season when they already signed in the fall. It's been mentioned often that Jamar Wilson was listed by hoopscoop as a 3 star recruit. He was listed as a two star recruit when he was signed. He was only upgraded by hoopscoop in their final rankings which occured after he talked about prepping and resigning with another team. Wilson wasn't the highest ranked recruit in that AE class at 2 stars. If I remember right it was Shijede Childs of UNH who I think was a 4 star hoopscoop recruit. I think he was ranked higher because he signed late in the spring.

My point is the coaching staffs see these guys more than any recruiting services or friends of fans. If Brown is excited about Dyson that's good enough for me. Execpt for RDJC everyone on the $iena board was killing Iati's signing last year before they ever saw him play. Most of us are pretty happy with the way he turned out, I'm hoping Dyson will prove you wrong too.

Edited by Dane Pound

Recruiting site are only worth so much. Hoopscoop happens to be one of the worst. My observations are from various sources I have in college basketball, for instance I have a good friend very close to the Albany staff. Of course the Albany staff is excited about signing Dyson, they signed him didn’t they? And of course he could work out. The fact remains Albany was his best D1 offer. Houston did not offer. The kid played in a relativity weak league and averaged 12 points and 11 boards, hardly impressive. To keep things in perspective Brent was ranked in the top 300 by hoopscoop and he had a lot of interest from big east school because of his body. I suspect and this is just a guess that Dyson will have a similar career to Brent Sniezyk and that’s not all bad, but for professor to proclaim Dyson to be better than any Siena big man is preposterous and quite frankly shows how little the professor actually knows. If any of you are friendly with Brown ask him, he will second my opinion

Dyson got a lot of interest especially between his sophomore and junior season. The kid could work out fine, I highly doubt he’ll even contend for rookie of the year since barring injuries he probably won’t play much, he is much too slow a foot to play forward, in fact he’ll struggle to guard some of the smaller faster centers in the AE. Again that’s not from recruiting sites that’s from first or second hand knowledge. If the kid develops he could be a very good player, for this year he gives you a big body to bang and 5 fouls at the center spot, nothing wrong with that, in fact it’s a very good thing to have depth

As for Iati, Albany recruits do not take up much time on the Siena site, I certainly don’t remember anyone criticizing the signing of Iati, he is a good player for the AE. Of course that doesn’t mean a poster or two didn’t make a negative comment on Iati. Personally I thought he was a perfect fit for Albany

Ok....I am pretty much through with this debate. Tony, can't you just admit you may be off? First off, many posters on the Siena board ripped Iati. Now back to the original topic, Delaware Online (the paper for DE) listed Houston and Duquense as offering Dyson. Late interest was shown by PC, Charlotte, St. Joes, Rutgers, Tennesse, et al. Further, Will Brown in his Nov. 17 (i think that was the date) luncheon with fans stated that HOUSTON and DUQUENSE offered Joe. Unless he is now a liar I will trust those words over your "contacts" on the Albany stiffs....oops I meant staff!

As for Siena bigs, outside of Haddix and Sniezk, there are no bigs. As for bigs falling to lower schools....sure most need some work, including those at Gonzaga, Siena, St. Joes, Albany, etc., but we are not talking NBA project. We are talking about players needing a little bit better moves in the post, a quicker step, and better passing to make themselves SOLID CONTRIBUTERS at the COLLEGE LEVEL!

If I was bored I guarantee you I can come up w/ a list of at least 25-40 bigs that played low-mid major ball and were solid.

I do appreciate the fact that you changed your point of view from "stiff" to "project." Maybe if we are lucky he will go from "project" to "player." Pt is...we wont know until he suits up!

Siena Tony

To end my part in this debate I would say I found it intriguing that guys like you can call someone they haven't seen a stiff and then when someone comes back at them on the Siena site the thread is cut off.

Big boys are suppose to be able to give it and take it.

Tony claims that Brown would 2nd his comments on Dyson. Regardless of what Tony say's he was offered by Houston, ECU, and Duquesne. It is listed in the Delaware papers and he took official visits to all but Duquesne.

Tony is clueless. Haddix is the only legit MAAC big that Siena has. All of the others suck including STIFF Sniedzyk!

Just let it play out. Who else offered J. Wilson?? He is the best college basketball player in the area!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not even close!! Lucious Jordan and Haddix would be 2nd and 3rd(No particular order).

Yea Ok prof, Dyson passed up all those offers to play at a start up D1 program in the AE. Get a clue kids almost always sign at the highest level that offers. Dyson has a ton of interest but NO offers.( I have that from a impeccable source)

If he were any good Delaware would have signed him

At any rate I'm not going to argue with you, you'll see soon enough. As for the best player in the area, Albany still doesn't have any player to guard Haddix, but by your reasoning prof, with all these big men so much better than Siena's players plus Wilson and Jordan ( the two best players in the area) Albany should win in a cake walk right? .. Not this year buddy.

To patch... the debate was cut off because it was getting disrespectful, you wanna make your case for dyson fine.... but when certain people start name calling that’s the end of the discussion

As for not seeing Dyson, I told you I have a very good friend, who is very involved in college athlttics who has seen Dyson play several times. Not to mention it doesn't take a genius to see a 6'9" 250 pounder who plays in a relativity weak league and only average12 points and 11 boards... and don't give me the Kee kee Clark or Wilson junk totally different situation.. a guys that big in a weak league should get 20 points and 18 boards a game by accident

ToDane96 – why don’t you find 30 big men that were “impact players: their freshmen year in the AE. Sure you get guys that develop after a year or two and become good players. AE teams almost never get impact big men..” Better yet Dane 96 why don’t you list the last 10 players over 6’6” in the AE that averaged more than say 12 points and 8 boards their freshmen year, my guess is you’ll have to go back over 30 years..and even then the players that did it were probably more in the 6’6” to 6”8” range… in the history of the AE ( and the NAC before that) I bet there is not more than a few players over 6”8” that made a impact their freshmen year

DELAWARE WORKED THERE ASSES OFF FOR DYSON. His father said dont even try. That my friend is a flat out fact. DE fans were pissed off that DE didnt land him. As for kids signing w/ the best offer....Hmmm..Jamar...HMMM....Speedy Claxton...hmmm...Jamar Nelson...etc. By the way...Dyson was part of Tim Thomas Playazz...that team really sucks if they had him playing minutes.

As for impact big men, Tony I SAID LOW-Mid major...which is what you said. Right off the bat though here you go:

Taylor Coppenrath

Tunji Awojbi

Reggie Lewis

Vin Baker

Malik Rose

Lamont Middleton

Kevin Roberson

Craig Peper (who then had his career sidetracked due to injuries)

Trevor Gaines

I am sure if I wasnt pre-occupied w/ more important things I could come up w/ more. My question is this....Will Brown, Joe Dyson, various papers all reported that he was offered by Houston and Duquense, taking officials to both plus ECU and Drexel. Why is it you believe no one but your source? Jesus..become more open minded.

Your kidding right 96? Talk about making my point you had to go back 20 years to come up with a handful of names, Reggie Lewis, Lamont Middleton, Malik Rose were all forwards, you listed Vin baker he was 6’11” and about 185 his first year at Hartford, he stunk, he averaged 4.7 points his freshmen year. How thick are you I said impact freshmen big men??? Very few in the history of the AE or NAC... you boys are all drinking form the same crazy stuff, thinking a impact freshmen big man would pass up major conference offers to go to Albany??

Dyson is a big project and he may pan out for Albany down the road.. and yea big Joe passed up Delaware and the CAA to go to Albany.. or the Duquesne and the A10. Big difference between interest and a actual offer… Albany was Dyson’s best offer

As for Jamar… who offered him he had some interest had a great Senior season after he was signed to Albany? Jameer Nelson St Joe’s was his best offer…

96 you really have to do your homework is you want to debate me, made up facts just aint gonna cut it against me

After reading the following quotes I have come to a couple of conclusions.........

Hey professor why the insults and sour grapes? - Tony

I have a good friend very close to the Albany staff. - Tony

Yea Ok prof, Dyson passed up all those offers to play at a start up D1 program in the AE. Get a clue kids almost always sign at the highest level that offers. Dyson has a ton of interest but NO offers.( I have that from a impeccable source) - Tony

Even the coaching staff expects very little out of Dyson this year.  - Tony

I suspect and this is just a guess that Dyson will have a similar career to Brent Sniezyk and that’s not all bad, but for professor to proclaim Dyson to be better than any Siena big man is preposterous and quite frankly shows how little the professor actually knows. If any of you are friendly with Brown ask him, he will second my opinion - Tony

And again this is no insult, but neither player is as good as Sniezyk, and if you doubt me ask your coaching staff  - Tony

1. The professor is winning - Siena Tony lets the professor get under his skin and the professor is a total distraction to Tony.

2. Siena Tony is the spokesman for our coaching staff because he speaks for them frequently.

It's amazing Siena Tony knows all about what's "good" about $iena Hoops and he even knows about the thoughts of the Danes Basketball Staff.

Is there a dark side of $iena Hoops, and I'm not talking about getting kicked out of a dorm or a recruit getting kicked out of his HS for minor transgressions or the signing of marginal students.

Through the "rumor mill" I hear there has been some suspect stuff that hasn't surfaced maybe Siena Tony with his forthright "Holier than Thou approach" might want to address.

Dane Pound

I'm not talking about Siena being a Dirty program but they are not as innocent as you may think. Sometimes disaster is just around the corner if someone isn't looking over your shoulder verifying proper moves both in recruitment and/or staffing.

In my opinion they are a great example of a solid mid major program.

But, they are not the high class caliber program they profess to be. Like all others their "sh** does stink" even if they won't admit it.

I'd love to have the professor and Siena Tony debate the issue!!!!

That would be somewhat unfair to the professor because not only is Tony a $iena insider but he has a direct line into all the affairs and thoughts of the UA Basketball Staff.

DP - don't get upset - I'm just trying to have fun in the off season.

Now that I hear there is no doubleheader with $iena this year, how long will it take before $iena backs out of the Men's game?

Patch, you need to chill, I certainly am not a know all see all type. However in my 3 years running the Siena site I have had the pleasure of making several very good contacts in the college basketball world. Contrary to most of the fans on this site the Albany/Siena coaches/administrators do not have this hate relationship most of the Albany posters seem to have with Siena.

No need for me and the Professor to debate, he is a known anti Siena and although he's pretty knowledgeable he falls to pieces when it comes to Albany recruits

My track record for providing accurate information is pretty darn good I try to differentiate between facts and my opinion. The problem with message boards is someone posts a message and other people taker it for gospel.

I offered an “educated” opinion on Dyson.

You Guys will see for yourself, I certainly had no intention of firing you guys up as I like and respect the Albany staff, the program and its fans. I have outlived my welcome on this board so I will leave you... good luck this coming year!!!

Tony take a "Chill Pill" yourself.

DP - don't get upset - I'm just trying to have fun in the off season. - Patch

What I said was in jest!!!!! I was just stirring the bees nest a little in the Spring and evidently we had some fun.

The professor is the professor, we respect a lot of what he says but we take it with a grain of salt every know and then and we know he's somewhat opinionated when it comes to the Danes.

I respect your opinion and thoughts but did find it not like you to call some one a "Stiff". If you respected our staff you would realize they recruited him for a purpose and I don't think that purpose was to come in and get 20ppg.

Edited by Patch