UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

And the new UAlbany Head Football Coach is......

What I don't want is Keeler burning this program down...personally I'd advocate a steady build approach over something that may backfire and set the program back. I'm not AT ALL an advocate of building like Broadus built Bing. If this guy is really that BIG of a richard...

Give me Rossomundo and call it a day...I don't understand WHY we need to be 8-3 next year...I'm OK with being 4-7 next year and 7-4 the following year. Do it the right WAY!

Why do we need to win right away? How many 1-11 seasons or 4-7 seasons or 5-6 seasons do you think the money paying public attending these games will stand? THIS CAN'T TAKE 4 YEARS TO BUILD A WINNER!

Yes, all of us on BPF will all attend as will a good amount of students and former players. The majority of these people do not know JMU from Union. If we are a bad team year in and year out over the next 4 years then the naysayers come out of the woodwork and start screaming what a waste of money it was to build the stadium. Next comes the fact that people stop caring and attending and the next thing you know we are Rhode Island.

With a winner on the field, winnable FBS games and full attendance in the stands is the only way! Without that we will never have the build out of phase II and attendance will dwindle. Just read what that poster said on Any Given Saturday about Coach Matthews and they won a NC as well as a sellout every Saturday they play at home.

And for the record I certainly don't want to tear down a program that many of us help build on the field with our own spilled blood. I certainly do not want to become Rhode Island.

Edited by Ruler

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruler,

I agree with you completely. But please trust me, as someone who has been close to the college game and coaches in the north east, this is not the guy we want putting Albany on the map. Yes, he will get us some 1-A transfers, great. We all know there will ever be another Bob Ford, but this guy has burned plenty of bridges in his career and has nothing invested in Albany. When I say Delaware is the best job in the CAA and probably all of FCS, that is an understatement. He was fired for a reason. There are not many coaches that take a break from one job to another, because there are usually phone calls from ex-colleagues eager to have a guy like that on staff, not him. We all want what is best for this team, and that's not it. I know many will disagree with me and I know there needs to be a change, but please trust me. When I heard this, I literally got sick to me stomach. I am that adamant about it.

Some of you guys write as if the other CAA teams don't exist and we can just hire a coach and will them to win. These are probably the same guys so critical of the team and coaching this year. The CAA is tough. Our great kids and great coaches last year got beaten up this year, beaten up badly by teams recruiting, training and coaching at this level for many years. Do those of you who DEMAND winning seasons remember the Bball coach before Brown? Remember the disaster that ego brought UA Athletics - left Brown with a team that could only court 4 players at one time the next season. Did UNH fire their coach after a few so so seasons? No and now they are winning and ranked. So no matter who is hired Chill Out. The stadium might not get packed with a losing season but it won't go away either. It'll be there, all of you helped build it, and you'll enjoy a winning season soon enough.

The one thing I can guarantee is that the exact same discussion is being had or was had behind closed doors about this.

Do you want to win fast? Or do you have the patience to wait out a few more rough seasons?

Do you want a leader that wants the limelight and to win? Or do you want a selfless behind the scenes leader?

Like I've said over and over - likely the most important and the most scrutinized decision McElroy will have ever made.

He hasn't really had a tough decision like this yet. Stadium - no brainer. Will Brown - why not stick with him? CAA - no brainer for football only.

AD's have made and killed their entire career based on football coaching hires.......Even if this isn't the big time of football, its still one of the highest paid and arguably the highest profile job in the entire University.

The one thing I can guarantee is that the exact same discussion is being had or was had behind closed doors about this.

Do you want to win fast? Or do you have the patience to wait out a few more rough seasons?

Do you want a leader that wants the limelight and to win? Or do you want a selfless behind the scenes leader?

Like I've said over and over - likely the most important and the most scrutinized decision McElroy will have ever made.

He hasn't really had a tough decision like this yet. Stadium - no brainer. Will Brown - why not stick with him? CAA - no brainer for football only.

AD's have made and killed their entire career based on football coaching hires.......Even if this isn't the big time of football, its still one of the highest paid and arguably the highest profile job in the entire University.

As one fan with one voice...I know what I want...there is the right way to do things and then the risky way to do things...

I don't actually see the reward a guy like this brings to the table. He hasn't produced anything of late and that's why he was let go, along with a ton of baggage. He inherited one of his NC teams and the other had a Super Bowl MVP (as was stated earlier). I see high risk of alienating a community, a President and just about everyone else and not sure I see the high reward on this guy. If he was such a great coach, he would have upstreamed to FBS a long time ago.

What I don't want is Keeler burning this program down...personally I'd advocate a steady build approach over something that may backfire and set the program back. I'm not AT ALL an advocate of building like Broadus built Bing. If this guy is really that BIG of a richard...

Give me Rossomundo and call it a day...I don't understand WHY we need to be 8-3 next year...I'm OK with being 4-7 next year and 7-4 the following year. Do it the right WAY!

Why do we need to win right away? How many 1-11 seasons or 4-7 seasons or 5-6 seasons do you think the money paying public attending these games will stand? THIS CAN'T TAKE 4 YEARS TO BUILD A WINNER!

Yes, all of us on BPF will all attend as will a good amount of students and former players. The majority of these people do not know JMU from Union. If we are a bad team year in and year out over the next 4 years then the naysayers come out of the woodwork and start screaming what a waste of money it was to build the stadium. Next comes the fact that people stop caring and attending and the next thing you know we are Rhode Island.

With a winner on the field, winnable FBS games and full attendance in the stands is the only way! Without that we will never have the build out of phase II and attendance will dwindle. Just read what that poster said on Any Given Saturday about Coach Matthews and they won a NC as well as a sellout every Saturday they play at home.

And for the record I certainly don't want to tear down a program that many of us help build on the field with our own spilled blood. I certainly do not want to become Rhode Island.

I wholeheartedly agree. This is Albany New York not Albany Georgia. College football is not king in New York. If we have several losing years the entire program begins a death spiral with declining ticket sales and more vocal detractors. We need to get to .500 or better as soon as possible. It is critical to not be the next Hofstra, Northeastern or Siena.