UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football, money and conferences

Are Bball and Fball making money? I didn't think so and frankly wasn't expecting it, just don't want to see deficits like those in the story. Believe me, if an Olympic caliber wresting squad can get canned, so can Mens T&F. Isn't the real problem (for balancing men & women scholies) the number allowed in Fball by the NCAA? 60, 70, 80+! That's just out of control. Reduce the number for Fball to something even remotely reasonable, say 44 (Fulls for first and second string, which is still ridiculous) and the whole problem goes away and NCAA FBall will begin to get better parity as the bigs can't warehouse the just OK guys who would be stars for us.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we anticipating a shortfall in covering expenses? What has changed? An addition of 20+ schollies for football?

All that is... is a free education for the athletes. We're not adding expense, are we? We're certainly going to be pulling in lots more revenue with our stadium, guaranteed. Soon, money games. What's all the fuss.

Don't you think everyone at Maryland, Rutgers, every school in the MAC thought the same thing? None of them are even close to positive revenue!

1. Our spending and deficits aren't in the same solar system as Maryland and Rutgers.

2. None of our sports make money.

3. While we don't have to compete in every sport, it is kind of sad that when we were D-III we probably sponsored 25 or more sports (including JV football and basketball), but as D-I we're talking about cutting back from 19 to the minimum of 14 (16 for those whose goal is FBS).

4. Football once allowed 105 scholarships (when there was a limit at all). If you cut it any more, there wouldn't be enough players for colleges to whore themselves out as training programs for the NFL. Unless the NCAA went back to one-platoon football - but those of us who can remember that era (up until 1963, I think) are growing fewer. There's too much money involved to cut back to eight-game seasons. In spite of medical advances, nutrition and exercise programs, and ever-more-expensive equipment, bodies and brains are having trouble taking the pounding. Tough choices all around.

I am not really sure why we are having this conversation at all? Is the University having this conversation as well or is this just blog folly? In either case DO NOT CUT BASEBALL. We are smack in the middle of Yankee and Red Sox country--why can't the northeast become more of a hot bed for college baseball. brook was a final four team last year and Nathan a graduate has donated mucho money to the school. UA should be talking about expanding baseball, upgrade facilities and getting a couple graduates into MLB. With major league baseball salaries even for marginal player being in the millions, just think about the donation back possibilities. Get rid of soccer M&W and use the money saved to expand america's game. Who would care except for a couple of "soccer moms" {sorry no offense intended, I just do not like soccer and I do not think it will ever come close to replacing baseball in this country}.

If we had the money and more state support, I would be talking adding sports [men's volleyball, wrestling, swimming]. In this state where more money goes to Syracuse, Cornell, and places like $iena than any other state in the union, I just think investing what limited resources we have would be better spent on baseball than soccer. Speaking of blog folly--more money more sports????????

Regarding baseball, getting an unsigned 5th round draft pick here for next year is probably the biggest news in the program's history.

Let's hope he lives up to expectations, then grabs a couple of Cy Young's in MLB, and donates millions to the school...that shouldn't prove too much of a stretch.

I am not really sure why we are having this conversation at all? Is the University having this conversation as well or is this just blog folly? In either case DO NOT CUT BASEBALL. We are smack in the middle of Yankee and Red Sox country--why can't the northeast become more of a hot bed for college baseball. brook was a final four team last year and Nathan a graduate has donated mucho money to the school. UA should be talking about expanding baseball, upgrade facilities and getting a couple graduates into MLB. With major league baseball salaries even for marginal player being in the millions, just think about the donation back possibilities. Get rid of soccer M&W and use the money saved to expand america's game. Who would care except for a couple of "soccer moms" {sorry no offense intended, I just do not like soccer and I do not think it will ever come close to replacing baseball in this country}.

If we had the money and more state support, I would be talking adding sports [men's volleyball, wrestling, swimming]. In this state where more money goes to Syracuse, Cornell, and places like $iena than any other state in the union, I just think investing what limited resources we have would be better spent on baseball than soccer. Speaking of blog folly--more money more sports????????

Just a bunch of soccer moms... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50SvZm9jQE

Soccer is America's game. UMBC was nationally ranked in the Top 5 this year so there is no reason why UAlbany can't be at that level. Getting rid of soccer would be a mistake.

The Timbres and the Sounders are a bit of an outlier when it comes to Soccer. Baseball still draws far more than these events do. For now, soccer is still a youth sport and has been for at least a generation and a half here.

Interestingly, baseball and soccer share one major commonality. It's mostly played by middle and upper middle class white kids and latinos.

What a great post….I totally agree that the northeast is a hotbed for baseball and is a huge area for summer collegiate baseball leagues.

The team this year is going to be good….they made some great moves in recruiting and aside from Stephen Woods, who was a 6th round choice of the Tampa Bay Rays, Coach Mueller brought in a kid who pitched for Stony Brook in the College World Series. So, the team has some arms that should help them in the America East.

Interestingly, baseball and soccer share one major commonality. It's mostly played by middle and upper middle class white kids and latinos.

In the states. Where I'm from (eastern Europe) and most of the rest of the world, Soccer is King (with a capital K) and played by kids with no shoes. All you need is a ball. It's the cheapest of all sports (to put together a game). It's not even close. But I wouldn't get anywhere near calling it "America's game" as UAlbany09 said. America's games are football and baseball and to a lesser extent basketball. Hockey, Soccer, etc. don't even compare. Yes they have decent leagues, but over-all business money making wise? NFL and MLB rule the roost by a wide margin.

The NFL is an $11B business. MLB is $7B. NBA is $5B...NHL + MLS doesn't even match the NBA (NHL being $3.3B and MLS being $0.3B). Based on those numbers, which give a good indication of how popular a sport is...soccer, etc. isn't even worth keeping around if it's costing the University more money than it's worth (not saying making money, just in general).

In the states. Where I'm from (eastern Europe) and most of the rest of the world, Soccer is King (with a capital K) and played by kids with no shoes. All you need is a ball. It's the cheapest of all sports (to put together a game). It's not even close. But I wouldn't get anywhere near calling it "America's game" as UAlbany09 said. America's games are football and baseball and to a lesser extent basketball. Hockey, Soccer, etc. don't even compare. Yes they have decent leagues, but over-all business money making wise? NFL and MLB rule the roost by a wide margin.

The NFL is an $11B business. MLB is $7B. NBA is $5B...NHL + MLS doesn't even match the NBA (NHL being $3.3B and MLS being $0.3B). Based on those numbers, which give a good indication of how popular a sport is...soccer, etc. isn't even worth keeping around if it's costing the University more money than it's worth (not saying making money, just in general).

This is going to go off-topic but I need to defend the sport I love the most. You can't look at those numbers and use it as a gauge for how popular soccer is in America. The MLS is a very young league that is less than 20 years old. There are many soccer fans in this country who are not interested in the MLS because it does not have the perceived quality that the leagues in Europe have. There are many more soccer fans in this country than there are MLS fans. You can see evidence of this during the summer when many of the big clubs from Europe come here to play exhibition games in sold out stadiums like Metlife and Gilette. Yet in a country where MLS is considered a sub-par league compared to the rest of the world, you have a team like the Sounders who averaged 44,000+ in attendance this year. That is a higher average than any team in baseball save the LA Dodgers. You can pretend that soccer is not a real sport and has no real fan base in this country, but the numbers don't lie. This is a sport that is taking hold in this country and that hold is only going to get stronger as sports like baseball begin to fade.

Everyone is going to have their personal favorites... you can debate which is more important, more popular till the cows come home.

Keep all of the dang sports programs we have now, and bring back wrestling and swimming.

Manage the athletic department like an efficient business, and let's rock and roll.

This is going to go off-topic but I need to defend the sport I love the most. You can't look at those numbers and use it as a gauge for how popular soccer is in America. The MLS is a very young league that is less than 20 years old. There are many soccer fans in this country who are not interested in the MLS because it does not have the perceived quality that the leagues in Europe have. There are many more soccer fans in this country than there are MLS fans. You can see evidence of this during the summer when many of the big clubs from Europe come here to play exhibition games in sold out stadiums like Metlife and Gilette. Yet in a country where MLS is considered a sub-par league compared to the rest of the world, you have a team like the Sounders who averaged 44,000+ in attendance this year. That is a higher average than any team in baseball save the LA Dodgers. You can pretend that soccer is not a real sport and has no real fan base in this country, but the numbers don't lie. This is a sport that is taking hold in this country and that hold is only going to get stronger as sports like baseball begin to fade.

I see your point.

Everyone is going to have their personal favorites... you can debate which is more important, more popular till the cows come home.

Keep all of the dang sports programs we have now, and bring back wrestling and swimming.

Manage the athletic department like an efficient business, and let's rock and roll.

Unfortunatlely it's mpossible with unfunded mandates such as Title IX and without billionaire donors.

Edited by danefan