UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Nano College

Michigan_Dane

I am not talking about a bit of land on Loughin Street. The land nano is on and most of the surrounding land was/is owned by UA or the UA Foundation. We have not been compensated for it, in any way. A few bits of the Harriman campus is only a drop in the bucket, compared to what we lost. As you can see from every article on land in the city of Albany and its immediate surrounding area---LAND IS AT A PREMIUM AND MUCH DESIRED by pretty nearly every political spectrum (state, city, education) and like wise by big business and construction entities.

I think you're mistaken.

I am not talking about a bit of land on Loughin Street. The land nano is on and most of the surrounding land was/is owned by UA or the UA Foundation. We have not been compensated for it, in any way. A few bits of the Harriman campus is only a drop in the bucket, compared to what we lost. As you can see from every article on land in the city of Albany and its immediate surrounding area---LAND IS AT A PREMIUM AND MUCH DESIRED by pretty nearly every political spectrum (state, city, education) and like wise by big business and construction entities.

I think you're mistaken.

We seem to be arguing semantics here. Regardless of who actually owned the land; nano occupies valuable property formally owned,leased/used by the University at Albany. Maybe we did not own all of it; but I am pretty sure UA and or the UA foundation DID/does own most of it. As far as I am concerned nano can have the buildings, the students and staff; but UA needs to be compensated for the land or use there of we are now deprived.

If the land is owned by the foundation, then SUNY Poly should be paying rents to the foundation. I would assume that would have been in place with CNSE as well... same for a lease (or Poly takes over the lease terms). If it was owned/leased by UA, then it gets messier as the state can do what they want. My guess, and this is purely a guess, is that the land was leased by the foundation and now Poly has taken over the lease terms.

I still think the land was owned; not leased. But even if I am wrong: the state took it, borrowed it, leased it, stole it, whatever AND it is no longer available to UA. Where do we now expand? What if the new engineering school goes nuts (like nano did) and quickly needs more room? What if EMS management school does the same? There was talk of bringing the "East Campus" across the river and making it more accessible to the main student body. The RNA institute now shares space in the Life Science building. It was projected that they would need a building of their own or else move to the East Campus, which was projected to move west?????

In spite of nano and cut backs, Humanities continues to grow its student body. Without nano and with some state interest, maybe they become a major growth area.

My point, if UA is serious about expanding; than to WHERE??

Edited by dslyank

• 3 weeks later...

As the comment on the article says, this is dumb given the location and what is in between the location and the university.

Those round-a-bouts are DEADLY to pedestrians.

Not even lying, the other day I was riding to class on my motorcycle and some guy in a maroon (newer model) Honda CRV was going the WRONG WAY while ON the round-a-bout nearest to the Nano building (with the bridge - meaning on the bricks/pavement in the center). I almost crashed from doing like a quadruple-take. I couldn't believe it. In all my time driving/riding I've never seen anything like it. Then you have the people who stop IN the round-a-bout like idiots. People seem utterly dumbfounded by how they work. Obviously not all, but enough to cause issues. Maybe it's cause I'm European. *shrug*

Now imagine you are trying to cross the roads there and some doofus in a CRV is actin all crazy. Yikes.

Also, that is a pretty long walk if a student has a class in the lecture center (or further).

Edited by Ilko

Also, that is a pretty long walk if a student has a class in the lecture center (or further).

These are private right? Binghamton has these in a plaza in an even more non-walkable distance and next to a parkway. Any students who lived there took the bus to campus...even though you could see the campus from them, walking just didn't make sense. It's just an option to bring kids out of the city houses and onto a more structured private building. Seemed to work for Binghamton.

These are private right? Binghamton has these in a plaza in an even more non-walkable distance and next to a parkway. Any students who lived there took the bus to campus...even though you could see the campus from them, walking just didn't make sense. It's just an option to bring kids out of the city houses and onto a more structured private building. Seemed to work for Binghamton.

I guess if they do shuttles that takes care of that, but the only way I see this working is if they put students there who have their own cars, or other modes of transport. I like the general idea though, for sure. Nicer housing = elevated school status as far as ratings, etc. go.

As SCDane says...if not, they'll definitely need some sort of pedestrian bridge.

I guess if they do shuttles that takes care of that, but the only way I see this working is if they put students there who have their own cars, or other modes of transport. I like the general idea though, for sure. Nicer housing = elevated school status as far as ratings, etc. go.

As SCDane says...if not, they'll definitely need some sort of pedestrian bridge.

If it's private it's not up to the school. It's up to whomever wants to pay for an apartment therr I'd assume. People with cars or not.

• 4 months later...
What? He got out from under that smothering, bureaucratic university supervision and he still can't do whatever the hell he wants?

"That's the first I heard of it," said Michael Evke, a member of the Fort Schuyler board, and the president of Eversan, an LED scoreboard company in Whitesboro, Oneida County. "This is the first time I've heard it."

They never do.