UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: @ UNH (Thurs, Jan 23rd)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the cliff party? Count me in. The phrase "lack of passion" has been mentioned several times. I have been thinking that for some time, but I was hoping I was wrong. Also, poise seems to be missing. I love the kid, but why is Hooley passing the ball out to Puk when he is in the lane and most likely would get fouled if he made a move to the rim. With the wrist injury, Sam cannot shoot or dribble, and his rebounding is suffering. Is playing hurt a sign of passion or would admitting he cannot contribute be more an inspiration? I do not know if it is the shoulder, but if I was GM I would DL or just outright release Levon.

This team needs to finish 7or8 of 9 for any chance of post season play. A five hundred record and luck in the AE tourney, to me does not a great season make. I KNOW the ultimate goal is the ncaa's, but to me (and I have said this before and have been slammed for saying so) 20-22 wins, even with a loss in the AE championship is a better season than .500 and 3 AE tourney wins. The mentality that the tourney is everything, not only leads to relying on luck but fails to promote the importance of each and EVERY game and fails to develop learning to win and a winning attitude.

I feel that for years when some of us criticized the team we were barked down and treated as misguided. (My personal delivery could have contributed to many of the responses I got!)

If anything it seems as though this latest slide has opened up the conversation to the possibility that the present is less than ideal.

Let's be blunt about this - this program is going NOWHERE. It is showing NO PROGRESS - basically stagnating as a .500 team in a weak conference that really has still not had a breakthrough OOC victory. Think about this - we are barely .500 this year in a conference that is decimated(but for 2 legit programs). We lost to UNH - one of the worst teams in the country and we lost to a team that just stepped up to Div 1. As the old saying goes, "you are what your record is" and numbers don't lie. How can we expect enthusiasm from the students and increased support from the community when those of us who are die-hards can't believe in the program?? why do you think we get no respect from the local media? why do you think we are still getting shafted on the Siena game?? because our program can't be taken seriously...this is how we take advantage of and run with the momentum of last year's NCAA bid???

Let's be blunt about this - this program is going NOWHERE. It is showing NO PROGRESS - basically stagnating as a .500 team in a weak conference that really has still not had a breakthrough OOC victory. Think about this - we are barely .500 this year in a conference that is decimated(but for 2 legit programs). We lost to UNH - one of the worst teams in the country and we lost to a team that just stepped up to Div 1. As the old saying goes, "you are what your record is" and numbers don't lie. How can we expect enthusiasm from the students and increased support from the community when those of us who are die-hards can't believe in the program?? why do you think we get no respect from the local media? why do you think we are still getting shafted on the Siena game?? because our program can't be taken seriously...this is how we take advantage of and run with the momentum of last year's NCAA bid???

If you look at the much bigger picture...this program isn't even at .500 in the AE since Jamar left. Think about that!...just THINK ABOUT IT! Like I've said before, the magical run last year of three games hid another very run of the mill season.

I came back last year off the ledge...this time I'm lost for good. I refuse to accept as a fan (just one fan) the consistent losing...this program is 10% extreme high 70% we are just happy to be here, Siena doesn't matter (until we beat them), OOC doesn't matter (unless a miracle win against Washington, still to date in 13 years our one and ONLY BCS win), AE play doesn't matter it's all about the NCAA's as we continue to lose to UVM and SBU at a blistering pace in the regular season...and 20% complete and utter crap like losing to UML, UNH, 7 win season, JUCO galore etc.

OT. Anyone know what happened to Santillo? No record post since 1/12/14?

Don't know where he is going, but I wouldn't want a job either where you have to go to LCC games .

A tweet from Bob Weiner last night

Bob Weiner @BobWeiner58 17 hrs

Last Siena game for Troy Record's Andy Santillo. Wish him well as he leaves the business.

Edited by bob87

Don't know where he is going, but I wouldn't want a job either where you have to go to LCC games .

Last Siena game for Troy Record's Andy Santillo. Wish him well as he leaves the business.

Well that sucks. I liked his coverage.

As for the team/season, I am really trying not to get too down with the program. For the last several years, in all sports at all levels, I've been trying not to get too high or too low and it's helped a lot. Hypothetical.... What is going to happen if after the week off and some healing this team comes out and beats SBU, UVM and UML at home over the next few weeks? Then will they be the best team in the conference and all is forgotten? Just take a moment and think about what your reaction would be if that did actually happen. It is a long season and ANYTHING can happen. Am I angry? Yes. Do I think some changes need to be made? Not sure yet. I'll watch the season play out and think about that at the end of the year. I could go on with these questions but I don't think now is the time to answer them. 3-4 weeks ago most thought UA was 1st/2nd best team in the conference and now some consider them one the the worst. In 2-3 weeks they could be considered the best again. I'm done with the ups and downs and having every game get me crazy high or low. I'll just watch and wait and hope that this thing turns around. That they really are just a banged up group and need to get healthy before we see what we saw earlier in the season. I will withhold further judgement on this season until the end of the season so I don't end up in a mental institution. haha! :blink:

Well that sucks. I liked his coverage.

As for the team/season, I am really trying not to get too down with the program. For the last several years, in all sports at all levels, I've been trying not to get too high or too low and it's helped a lot. Hypothetical.... What is going to happen if after the week off and some healing this team comes out and beats SBU, UVM and UML at home over the next few weeks? Then will they be the best team in the conference and all is forgotten? Just take a moment and think about what your reaction would be if that did actually happen. It is a long season and ANYTHING can happen. Am I angry? Yes. Do I think some changes need to be made? Not sure yet. I'll watch the season play out and think about that at the end of the year. I could go on with these questions but I don't think now is the time to answer them. 3-4 weeks ago most thought UA was 1st/2nd best team in the conference and now some consider them one the the worst. In 2-3 weeks they could be considered the best again. I'm done with the ups and downs and having every game get me crazy high or low. I'll just watch and wait and hope that this thing turns around. That they really are just a banged up group and need to get healthy before we see what we saw earlier in the season. I will withhold further judgement on this season until the end of the season so I don't end up in a mental institution. haha! :blink:

I keep telling myself in the context of life UA hoops hardly matters...it should be fun. Night like last night and UML and UVM and Bing and UMBC really make one think.

As noted on the AE board

Over the past few years, UNH has a tendency to pull off an upset once (or twice) a season, especially at home, despite being terrible for most or part of the season.

2010-2011: Beat (regular season runnerup) BU 60-48 at home (UNH finished 7th)

2011-2012: Beat (regular season runnerup) Vermont 72-64 at home. (UNH finished 7-9)

2011-2012: Beat (regular season 3rd place) BU 56-54 at BU

of course this loss is not good when compounded with the UVM and UML road losses.

For those looking for more passion , or the coach giving "harsh" treatment to the team, from today's story:

After this game was over, the Danes spent a long time in their locker room, which was located in one of the ancient hallways two floors below the gym. Coach Will Brown's muffled voice could be heard yelling for several minutes. And he wasn't asking his players what they wanted to eat on the four-hour bus ride back to Albany.

"We deserved it," said Johnson, who did not reveal what Brown said to them.

That's great. He's reacting, but this happens EVERY season and EVERY year. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results..

Why would things change now? We have 2-3 of these type of losses every season and as well-stated here, since Jamar we are 5 games under 500 in league play. In a very very mediocre (putting it kindly) league.

So what is (presumeably one more) one tongue-lashing going to do for the future of this program?